mtbr member
    Jul 2007

CB Classics - 3rd Week of June - Rideable?

Hey All,
    Looking to spend the third week of June in CB and wondering if some of the classics will be rideable by then.

Dr. Park
    Dyke
    Greenlake
    Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans

etc..............

Thanks for your thoughts

mtbr member
    May 2011
    3rd week of June I assume you're referring to June 16-22nd.

Definitely not 401/403

Dr. Park and Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans should be good and dry by then
    Dyke might be a bit wet in spots, but probably good

Hard to say on Greenlake, especially since it's in dense woods and north facing, might be damp but rideable.

Keep checking the crested butte mountain biking club's website and the Mtn bike hall of fame website for trail updates when it gets into June.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thx BD....I appriciate your insights

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogger63 View Post
    Thx BD....I appriciate your insights
    another quick note. If you're dead set on 401/403 you might be able to ride 401 as an out and back instead of riding the uphill from Schofield pass. Most of the snowy wet areas are usually in that dark timber. With 403 you might have to walk through some snow drifts in the trees. Enjoy!

Colorado
    1st week of July hopefully for 401?

Doctor Park is usually good by mid-June eh?

Of course, if we get a super hot June and rain, this could speed things up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Of course, if we get a super hot June and rain, this could speed things up.
    yea, could change quick, we usually get that dry spell in June. At this point Strand isn't even ready yet, someone rode it not long ago after the rains the last few days and put ruts in almost the whole trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anybody got the latest on Dr. Park or 401? Heading to CB this weekend and wondering what is open/rideable. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
    Anybody got the latest on Dr. Park or 401? Heading to CB this weekend and wondering what is open/rideable. Thanks!
    I've heard of a few people riding Dr. Park as an out and back, so by next weekend I bet it might be decent as a loop ride up spring creek rd. Although I imagine spring creek is pretty high right now given how high most of the rivers are currently.

401 is at least another 3 weeks out, we got some snow yesterday believe it not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks BD. Maybe I'll spin up spring creek road and hope that I can find somewhere safe to cross. You think the downhill part of Dr. Park in the trees will be free of snow?

Colorado
    Sweet, was just going to post here and ask about Dr. Park.... I take it there is no bridge?

I'm sure you can find *somewhere* to cross. There's gotta be a spot that isn't moving fast and furious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Sweet, was just going to post here and ask about Dr. Park.... I take it there is no bridge?

I'm sure you can find *somewhere* to cross. There's gotta be a spot that isn't moving fast and furious.
    That crossing is at a wide spot, it's never that bad. Plus it's below a dam, so maybe they're filling the reservoir anyway.

I'm sure the dark timber at the top will be muddy with some snow patches, but it's that way a lot.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rizz View Post
    I'm not thinking about this weekend, but curious from you locals: did the typical avalanche chute above (north of) Emerald Lake slide this year? Will there be a big snow plug there well into summer? I'm actually thinking of bringing somebody over Schofield (in the truck) to hike up to West Maroon and was wondering if that's going to be practical by end of June this year.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    A big slide at the Judd falls (401) trailhead just melted out a couple of days ago, and the road is currently gated just above that. I suspect the standard snowplug will be there for a while this year. It really only adds a mile or so, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How is it looking for the trails that comprise the race (Wildcat 40?) during Bike Week?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    A big slide at the Judd falls (401) trailhead just melted out a couple of days ago, and the road is currently gated just above that. I suspect the standard snowplug will be there for a while this year. It really only adds a mile or so, though.
    just drove up there yesterday, that slide must have been massive as there is still quite a bit of snow in the Judd falls parking area and lots of debris. I heard the county wants to do construction on the road just past Judd Falls to repair the road and what not, so not sure how long it will be closed for? Might make for a nice 401 ride with no traffic

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbagpinner View Post
    How is it looking for the trails that comprise the race (Wildcat 40?) during Bike Week?
    all wildcat 40/fat tire 40 trails are dry currently

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    just drove up there yesterday, that slide must have been massive as there is still quite a bit of snow in the Judd falls parking area and lots of debris. I heard the county wants to do construction on the road just past Judd Falls to repair the road and what not, so not sure how long it will be closed for? Might make for a nice 401 ride with no traffic
    Man, that's the truth. Nothing takes the blush off the rose of a 401 ride like all those goofballs who drive up past you stirring up the moondust while you're huffing your way up, then 5 minutes later the same dumba$$ is stirring up the moondust going back down. So many of those goobers just drive up to the Emerald overlook and then just turn right around without even getting out of the minivan. Dipsh!ts.

Guess I better be asking, when will Paradise Divide be passable this year?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Guess I better be asking, when will Paradise Divide be passable this year?
    I would think you'd be good to get to paradise divide via slate river rd. by late June, since it has a pretty nice southern exposure. The problem is the drive over to schofield park. I know last year the road had quite a bit of runoff damage between paradise divide and schofield park so who knows what it looks like this year.

Team Velveeta™
    Thanks. As it gets closer I'll ask again. The next three weeks will reveal much.

Colorado
    Sooooo, the consensus is that Doctor's Park is good-2-go?