mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Carbondale camping and mtn biking

Does anyone have suggestions for dispersed camping locations, away from rv's and "tourist" camping near, the porcupine loop trail, the crown trails, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    There are a ton of posts about this... but there is primitive camping along Prince Creek Road, on the Crown.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, I was looking around for more posts about this area in regards to camping, but could only find where people have stayed in the RedStone and Avalanche camp grounds.

I did some research on these campgrounds, and it looked like the Avalanche site was under talks to be redone as of last year. Would you know if that has happened?

As for camping along the Prince Creek Road, there are places where you can just pull off the road and find a nice spot off the beaten path?

I usually head out West to Moab, drive as far as I can down a dirt road into BLM and will not see a soul for miles.
    This particular time my sister is going to be doing a rotation in Glenwood Springs at the hospital so this is why we are looking around this area. I have heard from numerous people that the Porcupine Loop and the Crown trails are the place to be in the Carbondale/Glenwood springs area.

Thanks for all the info, helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Everything off Prince is pretty close to the road. Road sees a 100 or so trips a day. Maybe a few more this time of year. Not like your Moab experience of yore (they changed a lot of the camping rules out there now too.. .as in there are camping rules in a lot of BLM spots now).

Not sure where you'd find that type of experience around GWS/Carbondale area.