Thread: Canyon Creek

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Canyon Creek

has anyone ridden canyon creek recently? i was thinking of going this tuesday or wed...wasn't sure if there was snow up there; it's been warm and dry for a while.

curious to know if anyone rode it in the past 7 days.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    snow up on the north side for sure. we rode some stuff just south of 50 at about 11k feet and there was a good 6" of snow in spots.. Shouldnt be too bad otherwise.
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

Team Velveeta™

Messy probably...

Quote Originally Posted by KonaEnduroJC View Post
    snow up on the north side for sure. we rode some stuff just south of 50 at about 11k feet and there was a good 6" of snow in spots.. Shouldnt be too bad otherwise.
    Based on what I saw up south of Marshall Pass at around 11K yesterday, I'd say expect some snow, possible ice and mud but it should be more or less passable. Since the really high part of Canyon Creek is open and south-facing, the snow up above 11K should either be gone or thin. The first bit as it descends into the trees will be messy snow-ice-mud.

Here's a sample of what I saw yesterday:

Team Velveeta™: Second half of October at 11,300

It's a big time hunters area up there. The 2nd season for rifle deer/elk is Oct. 20-28, so you could expect to see lots of orange clad dudes, and the horsecamp will be active. I'd say wear something bright and be prepared for some slick semi-frozen horsesh!t.

Looks like weather is coming for late week. Wednesday should be OK. Thursday looks iffy. Friday looks like a bad idea.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Team Velveeta™

Punt.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Based on what I saw up south of Marshall Pass at around 11K yesterday, I'd say expect some snow, possible ice and mud but it should be more or less passable...
    ...Looks like weather is coming for late week. Wednesday should be OK. Thursday looks iffy. Friday looks like a bad idea.
    Update on this. I live in Salida and work in BV. The Sawatch and Monarch Pass had weather this morning. It was spitting rain on me as I drove to work on 285, and the peaks were totally socked in. I would be quite surprised if Canyon Creek wasn't getting a good strong dose of moisture, probably the frozen kind as I write this.

So yesterday I said Wednesday looked OK. Now I say, I wouldn't go up there if it was me. I'd guess it would be a wasted trip. You'll hit more snow than you want to deal with just climbing toward Tomichi Pass and the trailhead.

Just my guess based on how it looks from the valley floor east of the divide.

FYI.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks for the info tom. taking your advice, and sticking to lower elevation rides.
    hopefully we get a decent snowpack, and Canyon Creek will be impassable to bikes for a long time...we need it!