mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Camping beta -- Monarch Crest/Gunnison/CB

I'm headed down towards the Salida-CB corridor this weekend from the Front Range. I've reserved a spot in the 8am shuttle to do the Monarch Crest on Saturday. Thinking of riding something in the CB/Gunnison/Salida area on Sunday morning.

From general googling it looks like there is a lot of National Forest in the area. Anyone know if it is easy to find a small spot to pitch a tent and cook some food along fire roads in this area? Or maybe even have a recommended spot? Or should I plan on finding a real campground/place to stay?

Also, if you only have an AM to ride CB--what do you ride? Riding a hardtail and in reasonable shape (prefer >10mi, < 20, and no more than 3k feet of climbing).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Super easy to find dispersed camping up FS roads.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    jmeb, I was just out there on vacation. I don't think you'll have any issues. In CB, lots of camping along gothic road (past mt. crested butte) and on washington gulch rd. I had also heard there was camping out off kebler rd in lake irwin (but never made it out there). To the east of Almont (south of CB, near the Doctor's Park trail) there were more "established" camp sites along Taylor River Rd.

As far as the 1 trail you should ride: Everyone seems to like the 401. That fits into your criteria. Doctors Park is also a mentionable ride, which I prefer over the 401.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the advice all. I found the stickied thread after I posted this -- whoops. Good advice in there too and I'll use it hence forth.

Sounds like I'll be doing the 401 or Doctors Park on Sunday. However a part of me is thinking that Hartman Rocks looks pretty rad down in Gunnison. How early do you have to get out there this time of year to beat crazy desert heat?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was out on Hartman around 10am on Thursday last week and it was already hot. It was still a lot of fun, even with the heat, but I'd pick 401 or Doctor's over Hartman, if I could only do one ride in the area. If you do Hartman, make sure you take "Collarbone" down to the lot at the end of your ride. It is short (probably 1/4-1/2 of a mile) but a whole lot of fun!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yep - Hartman is for shoulder seasons.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yep - Hartman is for shoulder seasons.
    We all luvs us some Hartman, but yeah. Now is for high country. Hartman is amazing in October/November and there's endless camping, but it'll be a little warm in July. I'd save it for an autumn trip. Worth it. Then you could go a little further west and ride Sidewinder...

To the OP, if you only have the AM on Sunday I would recommend Doctor Park. Reason being that you could finish up your Crest Ride and have enough time to get over to Almont and then up the Taylor Park Road and camp there. I'd recommend finding an at-large spot up the Spring Creek Road. In the morning ride up the Spring Creek Road, loop back down Doctor Park and back to your vehicle. If you started that at 8 you should be able to be done easily by noon.

Anybody know if the road from Almont directly to Taylor Park is opened up or are we still having to go up to Jack's Cabin and over?

Getting up the Gothic Road and set up to ride 401 would take lots longer Saturday, and when you're done riding it would take longer to get back to the world of paved highways and on your way home.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    TomP, when I went to Doctor's last week, I did not know the "Jack's Cabin" path until after the ride... so we drove to the intersection at Almont of 135 and 742, and drove NE to the parking lot just a little south west of the doctor's park ending, in that campground. The road was open... not sure if we are talking about the same road, but hope that helps you.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    TomP, when I went to Doctor's last week, I did not know the "Jack's Cabin" path until after the ride... so we drove to the intersection at Almont of 135 and 742, and drove NE to the parking lot just a little south west of the doctor's park ending, in that campground. The road was open... not sure if we are talking about the same road, but hope that helps you.
    When I was there about a year ago 742 was closed just Northeast of Almont, you had to keep going north on 135 another 8 or 10 miles to Jacks Cabin Cutoff which intersects with 742. It was a construction job. They must have finished it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    @TomP -- super helpful info. The Dr's Park loop looks like a stiff day right after the Crest. I'm going to plan on it though. Any further suggestions if I feel like wimping out on a 5k/20mi day and need something lighter? Anything worth pursing back towards Buena Vista/Salida?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    When I was there about a year ago 742 was closed just Northeast of Almont, you had to keep going north on 135 another 8 or 10 miles to Jacks Cabin Cutoff which intersects with 742. It was a construction job. They must have finished it up.
    Yep, the job is done.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeb View Post
    @TomP -- super helpful info. The Dr's Park loop looks like a stiff day right after the Crest. I'm going to plan on it though. Any further suggestions if I feel like wimping out on a 5k/20mi day and need something lighter? Anything worth pursing back towards Buena Vista/Salida?
    You could do any of the *other* stellar DHs off teh Crest.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeb View Post
    Sure, there's plenty. You could do the Bear Creek Climb to the Rainbow, west 4 miles and then down the new Columbine descent. That could be done in like 90 minutes. Roughly 10-12 miles.

Or you could just explore around the Arkansas Hills Trail system across the river from downtown. Anything from half hour to 2+ hours.

Lots of options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Adding to TomP's ideas between Salida and BV you can ride the Mt. Princeton section of the Colorado Trail as an out & back from the Princeton TH. If it gets hot again this ride has plenty of shade.