Tigers love pepper...

Cactus Park, East Creek, HWY 141

Anyone done much riding around there?

I have the info and have driven the first few miles of the cactus loop (part of the Tabagauche trail). Seems to be all DT Jeep trail, but looks like it could be fun in areas. Easy/Moderate ride I would guess.

I know there's a Giebler mountain trail up there to (or something like that).

What about the East Creek area just up 141 from Whitewater. Looked like there's quite a few DT trails around there. Is that where the Bangs/Whitewater trail ends?

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    best riding imho is up divide road....not cactus

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by weldo
    best riding imho is up divide road....not cactus
    I live on Orchard Mesa and was just looking for something close to go do after work (other than Old Spanish Trail and Gunnison River Bluffs). Cactus park is 20 min from my door. Figured that area could be an alternative if we don't wanna do lunch loops or drive out to Loma.

I've hiked some of the trails up divide road, don't remember exactly which ones though. Took a right at Carson hole and hiked a few in there (Big Creek?). Have to go back and look at the pictures or check my trail book.

I was actually thinking about heading up there Fri with a buddy to get some miles in. I wonder if it's wet up there still? Any suggestions up there?

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    I live on Orchard Mesa and was just looking for something close to go do after work (other than Old Spanish Trail and Gunnison River Bluffs). Cactus park is 20 min from my door. Figured that area could be an alternative if we don't wanna do lunch loops or drive out to Loma.

I've hiked some of the trails up divide road, don't remember exactly which ones though. Took a right at Carson hole and hiked a few in there (Big Creek?). Have to go back and look at the pictures or check my trail book.

I was actually thinking about heading up there Fri with a buddy to get some miles in. I wonder if it's wet up there still? Any suggestions up there?
    Same here..Orchard Mesa....your on the right track for the rides on the Uncompaghre..keep goin' down #403 till the road turns to a 4x4 trail..singletrack on the left..its past Big Creek...I camped up there this weekend, perfect to say the least.
    Once you hit dirt its 15 miles to the trail. Either do an out and back, or ride the Cabin Trail back down, tons of other options if your the adventerous type.

mtbr member
    Weldo,

Did you ride down the Corral Fork of Little Creek while you were up there? That's one of my favorite Uncy rides. It's short and leaves you with a pretty good climb back up the Cabin or the Basin trail but it's fun.

Tigers love pepper...
    Same here..Orchard Mesa....your on the right track for the rides on the Uncompaghre..keep goin' down #403 till the road turns to a 4x4 trail..singletrack on the left..its past Big Creek...I camped up there this weekend, perfect to say the least.
    Once you hit dirt its 15 miles to the trail. Either do an out and back, or ride the Cabin Trail back down, tons of other options if your the adventerous type.
    Thanks.

I may still ride that cactus park loop one of these nights.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Weldo,

Did you ride down the Corral Fork of Little Creek while you were up there? That's one of my favorite Uncy rides. It's short and leaves you with a pretty good climb back up the Cabin or the Basin trail but it's fun.
    yup It was my 4th time up in 2 weeks, trying to get a good feel for the lay of the land. Lots to explore, especially the upper backside.

Cobi - if you are going to ride it after 5, do an out and back as the entire loop will put you comming back at dark 30..

Tigers love pepper...
    Cobi - if you are going to ride it after 5, do an out and back as the entire loop will put you comming back at dark 30..

Really... for the Cactus loop? It's only supposed to be like 8.4 miles or something. I drove up the first 3.3 miles yesterday afternoon. Turned around where the steep downhill started. The first 2.2 miles are road, then the uphill DT looked pretty straightforward. Does it get real technical the rest of the way?

Then again it always feels pretty easy in a 4x4.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    no..not the cactus loop, the corral rd up divide, or the other I Pm'd you about

Tigers love pepper...
    no..not the cactus loop, the corral rd up divide, or the other I Pm'd you about
    Gotcha. Talking about too many different trails.

Tigers love pepper...
    Finally got around to riding the Cactus Park loop today. It' nothing exciting. I rode my hardtail since my new bike is in the shop. Definitely don't need anything more. It's not a technical ride at all, just a jeep trail. A few little sections of slickrock and some rocks but you'll barely get your wheels off the ground. No singletrack.

It's 8.34 miles but a very fast to ride since there's no real obstacles. We were in no hurry and made it in 1hr 5 min. Took another 18 minutes stopped for pictures and to check the map.

Here's a few pics:

You ride this main road for 2 miles to start:
    http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3699732_n.jpg

This is part of the "big" climb:
    http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6920868_n.jpg

View from the top of the climb:
    http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5162676_n.jpg

It was raining in GJ:
    http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4220200_n.jpg

View from the overlook back down to the lot and HWY 141:
    http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7910051_n.jpg

Down the shelf road back to 141: