Thread: Buggin'.

This place needs an enema

Buggin'.

I was just out at Lunch Loop. Above the Widowmaker, and especially Free Lunch, there are currently thousands of some kind of beetle buzzing about. Swarms in places, singles and triples in others. I don't recognize them, but then I'm no bugologist. Lots of hoppers too, but mostly these odd looking beetle-esque critters.

Anyone know more about 'em? Like what they are? Migration? Or are they more Californicators moving in and taking over?

MC

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow. So it has come to this. You are hallucinating swarms of insects. I guess it was best to expect that in due time a total mental breakdown would occur.

"No point mentioning those bats(or beetles)... The poor bastard(s) will see them soon enough." - slightly revised HS Thompson.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

Cycling, FTW!!
    There are some weird bugs that are attracted to fire.. they must be heading to the Unc'
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    I was just out at Lunch Loop. Above the Widowmaker, and especially Free Lunch, there are currently thousands of some kind of beetle buzzing about. Swarms in places, singles and triples in others. I don't recognize them, but then I'm no bugologist. Lots of hoppers too, but mostly these odd looking beetle-esque critters.

Anyone know more about 'em? Like what they are? Migration? Or are they more Californicators moving in and taking over?

MC
    They are Coloradicators, and they are an indication of things to come. It's a sign from Fo, an experiment on bugs with drugs gone bad. And no, it's not a conspiracy theory.

mtbr member
    I was accosted by them last night. They smell like jolly rancher candy. Seriously. Catch one and then...hehe.........smell your fingers..
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    I was accosted by them last night. They smell like jolly rancher candy. Seriously. Catch one and then...hehe.........smell your fingers..
    Are you talking about beetles or Jr. high school girls?
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I did notice what seemed like an insane amount of bee's the other day out there - all I heard was the buzzing. Hovering around every bush on Holy Cross - it was creepy.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Are you talking about beetles or Jr. high school girls?
    ROFLMAO! Just spit water all over the screen!
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

user-created
    Got swarmed last night on Gunny, crazy.

Model of Grace and Tact
    If I'm not mistaken, the introduced tamarisk beetles 'swarm' while migrating to different drainages. How big are they? I'm out of town but would like to see a pic.....

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Mc
    If I'm not mistaken, the introduced tamarisk beetles 'swarm' while migrating to different drainages....
    Interesting. I have never seen beetles out there before, but the tammys sure are getting munched. Scary, you may be on to something!

Ride to the ride.
    I haven't seen the beetles. There's a pic of the suspected culprit in this article:

http://www.discovermoab.com/tamarisk.htm

Mostly I'm interested in how beetles begin, once they smell burning forest, to hunger for human flesh.

Ya might want to replace that pepper spray with Raid.

--Greg

Yes. This is a joke.
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    I did notice what seemed like an insane amount of bee's the other day out there - all I heard was the buzzing. Hovering around every bush on Holy Cross - it was creepy.
    I rode Sun Park last weekend, there was a mile or so section that was absolutely swaring with bees. Impending apocalypse?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeabout
    I haven't seen the beetles. There's a pic of the suspected culprit in this article:

http://www.discovermoab.com/tamarisk.htm

Mostly I'm interested in how beetles begin, once they smell burning forest, to hunger for human flesh.

Ya might want to replace that pepper spray with Raid.

--Greg

Yes. This is a joke.
    That's deffinitely NOT the same beetle. The ones at LL are just your standard issue stink-bug. At least that's what we used to call them.
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    They are the Western Conifer Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, a hemipterous insect (true bugs) in the family Coreidae. Speedy is correct in calling them stink bugs as they are one of several insects that are generically called stinkbugs. They are generalist feeders of pines preferably Douglas Fir but given the location I'd guess that they are feeding on Pinyons as well.

BeanMan

Putting that Entomology degree to good use raising pinto beans.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    They are the Western Conifer Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis, a hemipterous insect (true bugs) in the family Coreidae. Speedy is correct in calling them stink bugs as they are one of several insects that are generically called stinkbugs. They are generalist feeders of pines preferably Douglas Fir but given the location I'd guess that they are feeding on Pinyons as well.
    Thanks for the lesson, Professor.

So why are they here all of a sudden? Or *there* rather as I haven't seem them in our fair hamlet.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Thanks for the lesson, Professor.

So why are they here all of a sudden? Or *there* rather as I haven't seem them in our fair hamlet.
    My guess would be some sort of breeding cycle.
    They're humping man, you're totally riding through a huge bugged out orgy.

A related note: I grew up in rural N. California. Every Fall we would get these huge swarms of Lady Bugs. I mean really thick swarms, where you couldn't down a trail without killing hundreds with each step.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    They're humping man, you're totally riding through a huge bugged out orgy.
    Ever get the feeling everyone is getting some except you?

mtbr member
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com