KC Weekend Warrior

Breck, Keystone, mountain or openspace?

I'd like some advice on MTB in the Breckenridge area. I am an intermediate rider from the flat lands (KC) and would like to get out and have some fun while in CO next year - Labor Day. I was there this year just shopping and it was so great! I am interested in the mountain idea (paying and taking the gondola to the top of a commercial hill) because of my flat land status - I want to get the most out of what lung capacity I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As far as resorts go, keystone is great for rough and tech stuff. Its steep, rocky, drops, longggg. If that's what you're after check it out. Breck has great pedal accessed single track and lots of it. Not sure about lift served. Winterpark is pretty good for easy-advanced lift terrain.

KC Weekend Warrior
    Thanks
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You might check out Vail Ski Resort. Its only 20 min. away and has some really fun trails that are lift served. Radio Flyer comes to mind.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    You might check out Vail Ski Resort. Its only 20 min. away and has some really fun trails that are lift served. Radio Flyer comes to mind.
    It depends on where you start from but Vail is definitely more than 20 min from Breckenridge. It might be 20 min from Frisco and that's just to the exit. Parking and getting to the lifts is another ~20 min after that. That's not to say Vail isn't a good option for lift riding from Summit, but it's bit of a drive from some parts of Summit Co.

As to lift riding in Summit: (Caveat: I am not a ride lifts kind of guy so take my info with a grain of salt). As others have said, Keystone is where the gnar, gnar, body armor, full faced helmet, full on DH sled, lift served riding is. There are some easier trails though so you shouldn't have to worry about getting in over your head.

Breckenridge offers trails, but they're pretty tame for lift served riding. Breck caters to the family fun scene pretty heavily. I occasionally ride up what Breck calls it's hardest trail for a quick and easy loop after the lifts stop so that should give you an idea of how hard the trails at Breck are.

Copper has some lift accessed trails too and I think (not totally sure on this) that lift rides are free, You'd have to check their website. They don't have a lot in the way of trails though.

Summit Co has literally hundreds of miles of world class trails that you access the old fashioned way - legs and lungs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    zrm, yep, I was thinking of our assembly point at Frisco when we ride the Vail trails. So from Brec add another 20min.. I still think they are worth checking, these are trails below the dbl. black diamond so a good XC rider can have fun on them. There may be extreme park style trails at Vail, but the memorable ones are swoopy, banked, very fun types.