mtbr member
    May 2007

bike shopping while on vacation

hey guys,

The girlfriend and I are going to be road tripping through colorado, and she needs a new bike. We figure her options are much better in colorado then in illinois (where we live). We will be in colorado springs, crusted butte and durango, and probably stopping at places in between.

Anyone suggestions?

Thanks.

Team Velveeta™

Salida.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    hey guys,

The girlfriend and I are going to be road tripping through colorado, and she needs a new bike. We figure her options are much better in colorado then in illinois (where we live). We will be in colorado springs, crusted butte and durango, and probably stopping at places in between.

Anyone suggestions?

Thanks.
    Disclaimer: I have worked for the shop I am recommending.

Absolute Bikes in Salida is an excellent resource for this kind of thing. There is a ton of test riding terrain around. The shop has a program where you can rent/demo up to three bikes, and if you wind up buying the cost of the rental is taken off the bike's sale price. They are a Specialized, Yeti, Trek, Tomac, and Kona dealer. They have full stock of Yeti and Specialized normally, and have a full size run of the most popular bikes in a demo fleet.

Absolute Bikes, Salida Colorado

719 539 9295

Also, Absolute is a certified Specialized BG Fit shop, and one of a handful of shops in the USA that have fit techs certified as instructors by Specialized.

Salida is an easy stop for anybody heading to CB from the Springs.

Absolute also has a guiding service, Absolute Bikes Adventures.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Schipperkes are cool.
    Salida has a great section of fun singletrack right behind the bike shop, Salida Mountain Trails - Salida Colorado for demo riding.

With the new bike, do not forget Hartman Rocks to ride Hartman Rocks | Gunnison-Crested Butte, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks a lot guys. She called Absolute and they have her all set up to demo 3 bikes while we are out there. She's pretty excited. Thanks for all the trail suggestions too. We will be out there late next week... should we be worried about fires and road closures? I know its terrible out there by colorado springs, but it's tough to get a true sense of things from a TV and the computer...

Off topic, but Tom, I thought I saw somewhere that you ride a Tomac... how do you like it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rock and Roll in Gunnison demos ibis yeti and giant, if you want some other options. Here in Crested butte, we have had no closures and only a couple of days when the smoke from the fires near Durango drifted our way. Even had a couple decent rainshowers yesterday. So, things have been pretty good here so far, though a wind change, a lightning strike, or a dumbass with a cigarette butt could change that in a hurry. Gunnison county went to a stage 2 fire ban starting today, FYI.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. She called Absolute and they have her all set up to demo 3 bikes while we are out there. She's pretty excited. Thanks for all the trail suggestions too. We will be out there late next week... should we be worried about fires and road closures? I know its terrible out there by colorado springs, but it's tough to get a true sense of things from a TV and the computer...

Off topic, but Tom, I thought I saw somewhere that you ride a Tomac... how do you like it?
    I would advise you to monitor the situation with fire and closures, but I really doubt there will be any movements to close things up back here away from the populated parts of CO. Unless of course a big fire starts near here. But yeah, we're pretty far removed from the world of the Front Range.

Our economy is almost totally dependent on tourism, so there is lots of resistance to shutting things down. There are fire bans (we went to stage two last week), but they want to keep the doors open for the holiday week. We need the visitors.

And as cbmtbr says, things seem to be getting a little relief weather wise. It's been cooler and we've started to see a little afternoon rain. It will take a LOT of moisture over the course of weeks to really change the fire potential. It's really really dry, so a couple good rainstorms won't turn that around immediately. But the recent trend has taken the edge off.

Good deal on Absolute. They are super good people there. Lots of great beta on where to demo those bikes, and they are all riders, so they can really talk to her about the relative merits of the bikes.

I ride a Tomac Diplomat 29er. It's a full suspension 5" front and rear. But it's a little different from lots of the currently available longer travel 29 full suspension bikes, in that it's got more of an XC geometry. Quicker steering. I really like it. Alot. It suits my preferences very well.

I don't think Absolute has Diplomats in their demo fleet, and I'm not sure they are stocking any new ones right now, but there are a couple owned by shop employees. Policy is usually to rent out personal shoppie bikes if people really want to try them.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"