mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bike fees for Maroon Bells but cars go for free if they promise to go 1/2 way? sigh

Yes, I know this is a mountain bike forum, but some of us swing both ways.

A citizen committee has recommended that cyclists be charged to ride to the Maroon Bells, even as the WRNF considers letting cars go for free if they promise to only go part way. Interestingly, the committee didn't have any members or representatives from the Roaring Fork Valley, where the Bells are located.

Bike fee urged for Maroon Lake | AspenTimes.com

Please let the White River National Forest in Glenwood know how you feel about this, and please be polite and respectful.

Remember, we wear spandex and therefore are nor intimidating (read the article).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    "He also expressed frustration that mountain bikers cause as much trail damage as any forest visitor but face minimal regulation."

WTF?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, 700x23c at 100PSI can totally trash the pavement. It looks like if the proposal goes to public comment it will be resoundingly shouted down, local bike shops and cyclists are already furious. The fact that there were no representatives of the valley or bicycles on the committee has raised more than a few eyebrows.

Colorado
    Dude who wrote that article is awesome!

Road cyclists seem to be influential with local governments in Colorado mountain towns, Roller said, adding that he didn’t know why.

“They’re all in spandex. They don’t seem that intimidating,” he quipped.

Kukuk said she has been around cyclists when food is available and discovered that people in spandex can be intimidating. Most committee members got a chuckle out of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Intimidating in spandex

Name:  fat lampre guy.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  33.0 KB

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    considering how obsessed about spandex that some of the guys who post here are they might be right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'd take that whole thing with a grain of salt.
    The road is owned by the County, and I'd be SHOCKED if the Board of County Commissioners wouldn't step in if this came anywhere close to happening.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I suspect the public backlash will be loud, not only from cyclists, but also local businesses who rent bikes. Bells-Ashcroft is a local staple, and with the positive exposure to the local cycling opportunities form the USAPCC (or whatever it's called now), the political and business aspects of the community will not like the press and bad ju-ju that goes with charging fees for bikes while cars go free if they promise not to go to the parking lot. There are already articles and letters in the papers about the local reaction, and no one is embracing the idea.

One of the interesting aspects is the committee itself: no members from the area in question; all the proponents of fees represent motor sports. I'm certainly willing to buy a Colorado snowmobile membership next season so I can ride my fatbike on their trails, but their arguments in favor of fees for road cyclists just don't hold water.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
    I'd take that whole thing with a grain of salt.
    The road is owned by the County, and I'd be SHOCKED if the Board of County Commissioners wouldn't step in if this came anywhere close to happening.
    Take information on internet chat forums with a grain of salt? You mean all information circulated on MTBR isn't 100% accurate???? Say it ain't so!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    Remember, we wear spandex and therefore are nor intimidating (read the article).
    Bike fees for Maroon Bells but cars go for free if they promise to go 1/2 way? sigh-funny-lycra-cycling-pants.jpg

*Snerk* Roadies....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^^^

Wait, I is one too.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Funny-Lycra-Cycling-Pants.jpg 
Views:	1613 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	807104

*Snerk* Roadies....
    Showing off your collection from under your mattress again? Well, at least you cleaned off the stains so thanks for that....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Like everything else in Aspen--the people will just hope someone else will do the work. The CRAC is a volunteer comittee. There are no RFV reps on the board because people here tend not to participate, just complain.

We need more cyclists at trail work days, town open houses, focus groups, and volunteering time in general for trail advocacy. There is no such thing as trail fairies...Private interest is shutting down access for mtb and recreation in general all over the valley, but no one wants to participate.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd be more worried about the NIMBYs and DOW than the CRAC imo...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Aspen Times today reports the forest supervisor says it's a dead issue. nca77, you're right in your comments above. This valley's biggest cottage industry is training NIMBYs and exporting them worldwide. DOW doesn't bother me nearly as much, usually when they want stuff closed it's not rideable anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Showing off your collection from under your mattress again? Well, at least you cleaned off the stains so thanks for that....
    I'm just sayin -- some anti-bike douchebag was basically insulting (male) road riders' manhoods. But clearly, if you can ride 120 miles in a sitting and still embarass that dude in front of his wife, then more power to ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nca777 View Post
    Like everything else in Aspen--the people will just hope someone else will do the work. The CRAC is a volunteer comittee. There are no RFV reps on the board because people here tend not to participate, just complain.

We need more cyclists at trail work days, town open houses, focus groups, and volunteering time in general for trail advocacy. There is no such thing as trail fairies...Private interest is shutting down access for mtb and recreation in general all over the valley, but no one wants to participate.
    You're smoking crack with the non-participation piece...