Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Big.

  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,171

    Big.

    Several weeks ago Captain Hike-a-Bike sent me a very direct email. He'd just finished the Colorado Trail Race and insisted that I "run, don't walk" down to ride and gawk on the Coney/Cataract section of that route.

    It took me 10 days to get it together enough to get out of the shop, but just a few days ago Moobs, Jabroni, and myself made it down there for an overnight bikepacking trip.

    The Captain was correct--it is worth running, not walking to.

    See for yourself:


    We started in Silverton and rode over Cinnamon Pass and down (almost) to Lake City before peeling off onto a doubletrack and climbing. And climbing. And climbing some more to intersect the Colorado Trail, which we then rode (after camping, the next day) back to Silverton.

    That climbing paid off with the views you saw above. What the views don't show is the amount and quality of *rideable* singletrack above 12,000 and even 13,000'. I'd guesstimate that we spent 8+ hours above 12k on the CT, and maybe as much as 2 hours above 13k. Just astonishing to be *up* that high and cruising along in your middle ring.

    Make no mistake--it's not a cake walk. Lots of hike a bike. Hours upon hours of steep, granny gear climbing. Limited filterable water up high. Huge (potential) exposure to t-storms.

    And worth every iota of sweat that it cost. This one will become an annual for me, no doubt about it.

    Cheers,

    MC

  2. #2
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,663
    Fantastic photography

  3. #3
    T_E
    T_E is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: T_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    63
    Very cool dude.
    It's a chronic addiction

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pivotpoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    125

    Wow!

    That is truly EPIC!
    Loose is fast, on the edge is out of control.

  5. #5
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quality..........REALLY high quality stoke right there. Thank you.

    Some of the photos in the slide show were tortureous though, you could tell there was a huge vista but the image was too tight. I think you'd get a better effect with smaller format pics, i.e. they wouldn't be so zoomed in. Any chance you could resize the photos and re-post the slide show?

    Thanks again. Watching that is way better than working this morning.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPEEDMONKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    305
    Colorado. Love it.

    I rode that part of the area in your route (Jarosa Mesa area) last winter by *other* means (gotta be careful what I say on good ol' mtbr) and it truly is dramatic. Going to try to stay in one of the huts up there this winter for a night. Would love to do it on the bike in the summer.

    That shot of reclining with Arrow and Vestal peak in the background says it all. Amazing!
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

  7. #7
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,701
    I read about that CDT re-route recently. Was wondering how it was gonna ride...

    Now to get down there...


  8. #8
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,171
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Any chance you could resize the photos and re-post the slide show?
    At a guess, I'd say there were 8+ hours of culling, editing, and cropping just to get the raw images ready for the slideshow (I started with over 400). Then another 2 hours of arranging and further culling within the slideshow, plus 3 hours spent figuring out the music and arranging the 'ken burns' effect on each individual shot to take your eye right to the place I wanted it taken. Then another hour while the slideshow converted from .mov to .m4v. Then, finally, two more hours while Vimeo uploaded and converted it. Lastly, ~5 minutes to type out the post and embed the slideshow.

    It'd take roughly the same amount of time for you to go ride the loop yourself. Then you wouldn't have to be 'tortured' by my perspective.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    I rode that part of the area in your route (Jarosa Mesa area) last winter by *other* means (gotta be careful what I say on good ol' mtbr) and it truly is dramatic. Going to try to stay in one of the huts up there this winter for a night. Would love to do it on the bike in the summer.
    I was really surprised when we intersected the CT at Jarosa and found the sign showing the, um, Slumgullion Winter Mountain Bike Trail System. Groomed even! Made me think I need to drag the Snoots down there this winter for a tour. Dunno if you made it very far west from Jarosa, but it gets to be far, far more dramatic the closer to Stony Pass that you get.

    MC

  9. #9
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    At a guess, I'd say there were 8+ hours of culling, editing, and cropping just to get the raw images ready for the slideshow (I started with over 400). Then another 2 hours of arranging and further culling within the slideshow, plus 3 hours spent figuring out the music and arranging the 'ken burns' effect on each individual shot to take your eye right to the place I wanted it taken. Then another hour while the slideshow converted from .mov to .m4v. Then, finally, two more hours while Vimeo uploaded and converted it. Lastly, ~5 minutes to type out the post and embed the slideshow.

    It'd take roughly the same amount of time for you to go ride the loop yourself. Then you wouldn't have to be 'tortured' by my perspective.
    Well Fuk ME for asking.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  10. #10
    Desert Rat
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    326

    well, dang

    that is gorgeous Mike. Thanks for putting that together.

    Scott
    RapidCreekCycles

    Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

    COPMOBA

  11. #11
    Bix Pender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    157
    The scenery is great, but you better watch it on "mute".

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    242

    Simply stunning!

    I wanted to point out my favorite shot, but there simply are too many. And you say this was picking from ~400? Thanks for taking the time to pull out the gems for the rest of us to drool over.

    That trip is and those pictures are the complete antithesis of selling anything, buying anything, or processing anything. Or, selling anything bought or processed, or buying anything sold or processed, or processing anything sold, bought, or processed, or repairing anything sold, bought, or processed.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

  13. #13
    Auto Racer
    Reputation: Bicycle019's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    69
    Great photo's Mike, thanks a lot for sharing with us.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gunnirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    308

    Sick!

    Very nice work mikesee!
    This is probably the best post seen on the WS forum.

    How to be a tool bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Some of the photos in the slide show were tortureous though, you could tell there was a huge vista but the image was too tight. I think you'd get a better effect with smaller format pics, i.e. they wouldn't be so zoomed in. Any chance you could resize the photos and re-post the slide show?
    Unfukinbelievable.

  15. #15
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider
    Very nice work mikesee!
    This is probably the best post seen on the WS forum.

    How to be a tool bag...
    Quality..........REALLY high quality stoke right there. Thank you.

    Some of the photos in the slide show were tortureous though, you could tell there was a huge vista but the image was too tight. I think you'd get a better effect with smaller format pics, i.e. they wouldn't be so zoomed in. Any chance you could resize the photos and re-post the slide show?

    Thanks again. Watching that is way better than working this morning.
    Unfukinbelievable.
    Nice work.
    You must feel real proud.

    If you would've quoted the rest of my post (as I did for you), it would have been very evident that I was thoroughly stoked by MC's post as well. I have photo editing software that would have resized the content of his entire slideshow with a simple "drag and drop". For some reason I thought that constructive criticism was ok, apparently I was wrong in this case.

    Now, do you feel like a hero for comming to Mike's rescue? I hope not because all you really did was cause me to further douche up his thread by inspiring me to respectfully ask you to tongue kiss my butt hole.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gunnirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    308

    I think mike stood up for himself just fine...

    perhaps go ride it and post your slide show as he suggests, instead of knuckle dragging side country photos...

    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    If you would've quoted the rest of my post (as I did for you)
    Why?

    Now I just think you're even more of a douchebag, with your last comment there toolbag.

    end of story. good thing he posted this in passion. no douchebagness there.

  17. #17
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider
    perhaps go ride it and post your slide show as he suggests, instead of knuckle dragging side country photos...



    Why?

    Now I just think you're even more of a douchebag, with your last comment there toolbag.

    end of story. good thing he posted this in passion. no douchebagness there.
    Yeah, you're right. I'm all about the "side country"

    Here's my Flickr page. Nothin' but crappy knuckle dragging pics.

    Enjoy your Myopia, since you appear to be douching this place up as much as me.

    ........and I'm not some interweb goof who will not back himself. My name is Clayton Hamilton, I live in Bayfield and I'd be glad to share some beers and some miles with anyone from here or any where else. I still contend that some genuine constructive criticism is not a negative thing.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  18. #18
    Towlie for prez
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    623
    BGB is a hell of a good guy,I will vouch for him anyday.I agree that some of those pics had a bit of a "claustrophobic" feeling to them,as with a bit more editing the hugeness of the vista's would have been better..I do believe he meant well in his post,as he is always striving to take better pics when we ride.
    That being said,HUGE props to Mikesee for some awesome shots,and obvious time putting this thread out there for all to drool over!
    And as far as BGB being all about sidecountry knuckledraggin'...... thats just plain wrong dood.....Take the time to visit his flickr page,please.

  19. #19
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,701
    Here I thought *I* was the only one that thought BGB was a complete and total cockknocker.

  20. #20
    Bix Pender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    157
    I don't know what the "Big." deal is. OK, congratulations on using some software to piece together some photos of the colorado backcountry. then you post it here so we all can see it and it's pretty cool, but actually pretty boring.....( I barely made it through 3 minutes.....) And to top it off, that music! what the f69k? Did you guys have a "moment" out there or something? hey to each his own, not that there's anything wrong with that. If I just had a tough as balls mountain bike outing in the backcountry mostly above 10000' and exposed to everything, i'd sure as heck be humming something other than the song played on the last episode of Seinfeld! You're pictures are Ok, but coupled with the music makes the ride seem boring and very uneventful.

  21. #21
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,663
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmorecarp
    I don't know what the "Big." deal is. OK, congratulations on using some software to piece together some photos of the colorado backcountry. then you post it here so we all can see it and it's pretty cool, but actually pretty boring.....( I barely made it through 3 minutes.....) And to top it off, that music! what the f69k? Did you guys have a "moment" out there or something? hey to each his own, not that there's anything wrong with that. If I just had a tough as balls mountain bike outing in the backcountry mostly above 10000' and exposed to everything, i'd sure as heck be humming something other than the song played on the last episode of Seinfeld! You're pictures are Ok, but coupled with the music makes the ride seem boring and very uneventful.
    Like you said, 'to each his own". Not everyone (thank god) needs contant loud noise, nekked chicks, and explosions to keep their attention. Put together a slide show with lots of dirt shreading, eye buldging, huge hucking action with a screamin' gangsta/hard core soundtrack if that's what you enjoy and post for those who share your taste in music and style of MTB riding. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •