mtbr member

Better biking-Telluride or Breckenridge

Going to Colorado and I am visiting both places. I will be renting a bike. Not sure what type of trails I'll be riding. I like really rocky technical descents and xc style. Not a fan of large jumps and gaps. I'll only be riding for a day and i want to get in as much as possible. Telluride seems like it would be a good place to ride with the free gondola to the top but there doesn't seem to be a lot of trails. Breckenridge, I'm assuming, has a lot of trails. It's a lot bigger than Telluride.
    Which place would be a better use of my time and money?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    You can't go wrong in either place. But if you're looking to rent a DH bike, Keystone (not far from Breck) is a better choice than either. If you're looking to rent a trail bike, both places could easily fill a day's worth of riding and then some.

mtbr member
    Ok. I will be renting as close to the trails as possible. I won't have a way to haul the bikes otherwise I would just take my own bike. I've seen some videos of Telluride's trails on YouTube. The ones below the gondola just seem fast with some jumps. Are they not very technical and just meant for speed? Or are there hidden rock gardens that no one on YouTube shows?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've only ridden T-ride a couple times so I'm not well enough versed in their trails to have an informed opinion. I do know that like Breckenridge, it has many miles of old mining roads and trails in the area that people ride and if you like babyheads, those roads and trails are for you.

Breckenridge is pretty hard to beat for miles of singletrack right from town. Breck has one of the most progressive open space and trails departments in the country and the Mtn bikers and the FS have a pretty good relationship. You can ride right from town in any direction on singletrack of various different flavors an do loops from 3 to 50 miles and never ride the same thing twice. I don't think T-ride - or too many other places have such easy and varied access to trails to trails right from town.

If you're talking about lift served riding, the trails at Breckenridge are pretty tame. I can ride up all of them and occasionally do evening loops after the lifts close. It's more beginner, family type stuff. Never been on the lift served mtn at T-ride so can't comment.

T-ride is in one of the most beautiful areas of the state and is a neat, funky town. The mtns and valleys in Summit are certainly pretty but don't have quite the grandeur of the San Juans. The town of Breck has everything you'd expect in a Mtn tourist town, but is a lot busier than T-ride but once you go a block off Main Street or out on the trails you leave the masses behind.

mtbr member
    Yeah I really like Telluride and that's where I think I'm gonna end up biking. I've been online looking at shops and their rentals/demos and it only seems like 1 or 2 shops have downhill bikes(giant glory). Are other websites not that interested in listing their full demo/rental inventory. Is renting a downhill bike not very common? I remember a shop being right next to the gondola which would be very convienent if something were to happen.

Edit: just found a Santa Cruz Bronson at boot doctors for a demo. Would this handle the downhill trails? I like it more than a true dh bike incase I want to ride some single track and the dh park isn't that great and its a 27.5.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    It seems like you mostly want to ride DH. Will you have a car (I get that you won't have the ability to haul bikes). Because if you want to ride DH, just drive from Breck to Keystone (it's a 15 minute drive) and rent a DH bike there. If you don't have a car, consider taking the bus from Breck to Keystone. I'm no DHer, but from everything I know, the DH at Keystone will far outstrip either Breck or T-Ride.