Eat, Poop, Pedal.

Best resort in CO!?

Hey guys,
    Me and a few buddies are planning a trip in Colorado for some sweet resort riding.. I have looked into the resorts and trails you guys have and it's a overload! So I figured the best way to find what we're looking for is to ask the locals!
    Overall we are downhill riders, we want lifts! Some good flowy trails with features. We are planning on a couple days of riding, so maybe a resort with some options so we don't get bored. A kickass night life would be a huge plus! When I say this.... What resort comes to mind?? Thanks in advance! We're stoked for our trip which is going to be middle/late June.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Keystone is pretty darn good, Vail

Keystone Mountain Biking | Bike Park | Drop Zone | KeystoneResort.com

Vail Mountain | Summer Resort Information | Vail.com

i've been to Keystone, Vail, Breckenridge, Snowmass, Winter Park and Steamboat Springs. a lot has changed in the 10 years since i've been out to Co. i loved Steamboat. but all were fun! Keystone is on the top of my list to return to. last time i was there my rear shock broke on my old schwinn 4 banger on the 2nd run down so the mountain beat me and i need to go back to win. Vail was awesome too! it had a few hidden trails that were crazy technical fun!
    Last edited by shwinn8; 12-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Middle to late June is too early if we have a normal snow year! Best plan after the 4th of July. (Or later).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If those dates are firm then look at Sol Vista. Smaller hill, lower elevation and they are private land so they often open up before forest service gives the go ahead to other resorts. All depends on the snowpack though.
    The runs are fun and they have a couple of legit stunts to hit. Close enough to other places nearby to go for nightlife.

edit: Sol Vista is now called Granby Ranch I think

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good topic....I'm also heading that way this summer with friends and family. Planning on doing some time at Winter Park before moving over to Summit County. I've always heard & read about the riding at Trestles/WP but I have seen virtually nothing about Keystone, Breck & Vail. I've skiied and snowboarded all those areas but have never been there in the Summer.

Our riding group is (2) old guys, a mid age dude and (2) 19 year old psycho boys who will ride anything, anywhere. We ride 5-6" travel bikes and the boys also have DH bikes. However, teh wives and non-serious riding daughters will be along so 'other' stuff for them to do is a high priority.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Snowmass has good riding and a lot of new trails and some lift/gondy-served stuff. Aspen Mountain has very little, but the valley has quite a bit. Carbondale also has good riding. Most of the resorts will be tough to get access to everything before mid-June, depending on snowpack. The resorts will also have good activities for non-riders: rafting, hiking, whatever else non-cyclists do (I'm not real clear on what those activities may be).

For roadies, you can ride from the east end of Glenwood Canyon all the way to Aspen (~65 miles) on butter-smooth bike path. It's pretty sweet and is barely used by non-cyclists. Eagle also has some great riding, stop in and ask the shops about Tick Alley and the surrounding stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Keystone has an awesome downhill bike park. Buy a full day pass, ride the lifts to the top, and pick your run just like skiing. You can ride there all day with a huge selection. But....if you're looking for nightlife keystone is not the place. In the summer the town is dead, maybe 4 watering holes open during the day....at
    night maybe 1 open until 10:00. Boring party scene, but a great place to ride.

Snowmass is basically the same as keystone, but probably even more of a dead night life. Aspen has a great nightlife. So,I would say ride at snowmass and go drink in aspen (15 minutes away with a free bus system running between the two). Also, if you're looking for more cross country riding, tons of options around.

Airborne Flight Crew
    If you're looking for a great "bike park" experience - hands down, do Winter Park. Once you find the bike shop, the staff is very helpful in making sure you have a great experience. They (seem to be) always working on trails, and have a great variety from smooth to gnar. WP is much more groomed than any of the parks I've been to.

IF you're looking for gnarly dh runs, and don't care so much about staff support or maintained trails, I'd hit Vail or Keystone. In the three years I've gone, Keystone has seemed to have consistently blown out trails, but they are rocky, gnarly and fun, and looks like they were adding more last season.

Vail, isn't really even a "bike park", it's just ski resort that had dh trails (there is a difference). There are maps for the trails, and with some trial and error you'll find some fun lines. The trails PMT and Old 9 are particularly cool.

For a group of people with varying skill levels, Winter Park would be my first choice. Angelfire in NM would be my second....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I don't know about the rest of CO, but I visited Crested Butte with some friends last year and loved it. There is also a ton of great XC near town. Probably going back in 2013.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Keystone is definitely a must ride for downhilling! Super steep in places, man made features, great trails. With Breckenridge 15 minutes down the road there is plenty to do. ie. lodging, nightlife, eating etc.Then you have Winter Park + / - 3 hours from Keystone, so you could technically hit both if you have the time!

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Thanks for the reply's guys!! We're stoked for our CO trip!! We have moved the date back to mid July.. This trip is ALL ABOUT RIDING!! We have decided to hit Winter Park(Trestle and Granby Ranch) and Keystone! We have 3 full days of riding! We are staying in Granby three nights(free lodging) then Breckenridge the other. My next question, is Trestle and Granby Ranch each all day riding resorts or do most ride both in one day? If so then we could hit both resorts/parks in Winter Park on one day. Breckenridge one day and keystone the last day.
    Thanks again!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like a lot of fun! moving it back to July was smart, all the trails at the resorts should be open. I'd stick to your first plan of one bike park per day. maybe I'm too cheap but I like to maximize each day at one place and not try to drive somewhere else mid day plus I think you'll find enough variety to keep you having fun all day. Trestle- Granby Ranch- Keystone sounds like about as good a combo as possible, enjoy the trip.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Awesome thats what i needed to know! Thank you! We are bringing the wives also and they want to take off a day to go do whatever the hell women do.. Out of the three resorts which one would be a good one for them to sit out.. I guess which one is most the gnarly? The wives are not beginners but don't like to ride the features, jumps, tables, etc.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    WP is easily ride able by all skill levels, there is also some family activities at the base to keep them busy if needed.

Granby ranch is great, short fast runs, but more advanced than WP. Some large features and jumps that are scary but very smooth and doable.

I would suggest WP for nightlife. Granby, while my hometown, does not have much excitement going on during the party hours. Few small bars but nothing that could be considered "nightlife". Plan for it though, there are no taxis and WP is a 30 minute drive from Granby.

Keystone is fun, poorly maintained and pretty gnar, not much for "fun and flowy" Also as mentioned there is squat there at night, so head down the road to Breck for nightlife as it is quite popular there, good scene.

And remember... a mountain girl 8 is a city 6, so be cautious!!

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    [QUOTE=

And remember... a mountain girl 8 is a city 6, so be cautious!![/QUOTE]

Haha.... So true.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post

And remember... a mountain girl 8 is a city 6, so be cautious!!
    But a 6 that rides, and lets you ride is much better than an 8 who needs you to go to the mall with her to try on outfits!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Thanks for the reply's guys!! We're stoked for our CO trip!! We have moved the date back to mid July.. This trip is ALL ABOUT RIDING!! We have decided to hit Winter Park(Trestle and Granby Ranch) and Keystone! We have 3 full days of riding! We are staying in Granby three nights(free lodging) then Breckenridge the other. My next question, is Trestle and Granby Ranch each all day riding resorts or do most ride both in one day? If so then we could hit both resorts/parks in Winter Park on one day. Breckenridge one day and keystone the last day.
    Thanks again!
    The valleys and gulches around Breckenridge have world class what these days is called "XC" or "trail" riding that requires climbing under your own power. The lift served trails at the ski area are nothing that an armored up DH bike rider would get too excited about.
    Last edited by zrm; 01-27-2013 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    go to the mall with her
    Now that's just crazy talk...

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    For flow, berms, high speed trails... Snowmass, Breckenridge, or Keystone? Or somewhere else? Lift served. We are already going to be hitting Winter Park..
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As I mentioned above, Breckenridge's lift served trails aren't anything special. They're more like XC trails that are pretty washed out because most of the people riding them are rank beginners who skid their way down the entire way. (Sometimes I'll do evening loops on the ski area after the lifts are shut down and none of the trails are too steep to climb).

I'm not a lift served rider but I usually ride up Keystone once or rwice a year and the green run that we usually ride up would probably be a decent flow/berm/fast trail down.

Never ridden lift served at Snowmass so I couldn't say what it's like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There doesnt seem to be enough talk about Trestle here. Its pretty awesome.