Thread: Aspen in June

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Aspen in June

I'm considering a trip to Aspen in late June and wasn't sure what I should consider in terms of cycling expeditions.

I'd need to rent a bike so feel free to recommend good shops too.

I'm not looking for anything too crazy as being in that thin air will certainly stress my east coast sea-level cardio.

Any recommendations? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tons of great riding in Aspen in June, especially this year after our low snow winter. Almost everything is dry. Check out Hunter Creek in Aspen. You can ride right from town up the Smuggler Road, and there are good signs. There is also a bunch of great riding at the Snowmass ski area both cross-country and downhill. The lifts open on June 22 for bikes if you are worried about the altitude.

Also, check out the "Best Rides in the Roaring Fork Valley" thread in the Colorado- Western Slope section of the MTBR forums for a bunch of good suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you! Can you tell me of any local bike shops where I could rent a bike from? As much as I'd love to bring my own I am not risking having it damaged in the cargo bay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't know who would be the best to rent from. Maybe try Ute City Cycles in Aspen, Aloha in Carbondale, or Ajax Bike and Ski in Basalt, depending on where you are staying and want to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The house I'd be staying in is very close to the airport. I have no idea where I'd want to ride... that's what I need people like you to tell me!

I'd like something with some good scenery and more interesting than simply riding down a ski-slope. But then again, maybe that's where I'd get some of the best views??

Sorry.. I'm not sure what I'm looking for but very excited about riding out west!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely ride at Snowmass ski area. Like I said, awesome lift (and pedal) accessed cross-country and downhill riding. The new Valhalla trail constructed by Gravity Logic, will be open in its entirety for opening weekend June 22nd. For a longer XC ride try a shuttle from Snowmass to Aspen (there are free buses every 1/2 hour....check out Village Bound to Government and follow Government all the way to aspen. Another great Snowmass loop is to park at the rec center, then ride up High-line to Tom Blake, up Village Bound, down Connector come back the Ditch Trail to Divide Road, then climb the Rim Trail which will finish back at the Rec center.

Go to the AspenSnowmass website for a summer trail map of Snowmass.

One of my favorite Aspen rides is to ride up Smuggler Mtn Road, get on the Iowa Shaft trail and descend to Hunter Creek Valley. Then climb up the road to Four Corners and descend the Sunnyside trail. Not sure if there is an online map for the Aspen area trails, but the Trails Illustrated maps are pretty good, and the signage at Hunter Creek is easy to follow.

Hope this helps. Happy riding!