Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

Anything Still Ride-able

Headed up tomorrow for a week - worth bringing the bike?

Phils World?
    Trails behind the college?

or am I down to a road ride to Steamworks?

mtbr member
    All I'm gonna say is the trails are less treacherous than the roads around town right now...

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Man...er, woman up and ride your bike.The trails are packed,but (some are) rideable.See my pix a few posts ago for trail conditions.Riding in the snow is fun,and will help your balance!

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    Rode up here in the snow before - was a hoot! Alas - never heard anything so only brought snow gear this time. You guys are too fortunate!! If it snows - f-it go hit the slopes or b/c. If it don't f-it, grab the bike and head out. If the snow melts - f-it, grab the Kayak and head to the play park! Ahh, heaven!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    If you got ski gear,hit wolf creek...they are gettin' puked on.Also,Hesperus is a fun little hill too.Many locals,myself included prefer it to traversatory aka dmr.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Has your finger grown back,or should you change your forum name to stumpy?
    That was a nasty gash!

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    NICE! FInger is actually whole again! Didn't think it was going to be. Suprised you could tell the chunk was missing. The AZ MTBR crew was upset that the pic was blurry. ha ha

Off to the slopes - no Wolf Creek this time. Scored a 4pack pass for Purgy only $140!

mtbr member
    so are the kokopelli trails snow covered at this time? mary's, rustler's, horse thief's, etc...??

mtbr member
    yes, withouth a doubt. but you could probably ride early on the hard snow.

mtbr member
    bummer. how much do you think? inch or two or more?

mtbr member
    anyone know about moab trails?

Too Much is Not Enough
    Nov 2006
    moab trails are superior to anything we have in the gj area. go forth and ride! slickrock is probably mostly rideable but the rest is a lot like gj as far as snow cover... except the moab trails are better whether they are under snow or dry so... skip gj altogether. I ride here all the time just because I am a masochist and hate myself so much!

mtbr member

Kokopelli - Trail conditions

Mary's is rideable to just past horsethief. ... There is lots of snow still past horsethief.

Rustlers is rideable 100%

We rode down the road to the West side of Mary's / Mack / More Fun, and none of the afforementioned looked like fun, so we rode the road back. We didn't try to go down to Troy's / Collarbone.

All in all, not a lot of rideable, but if your dying to get out like we were, there is a little bit available. Pretty fun and absolutely gorgeous as well.
    If you weren't born a thoroughbred, be the fastest donkey you can be! ltrsports.com

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. what did horse thief look like?

mtbr member

Further Information

Don't really know. There was only a few sets of tracks down, so we assumed that it was not packed enough to ride. I know it sounds crazy, but there is 6" - 12" of snow on the trail at that point. If you have a packed trail it is fun, if not ... not so much.

BTW, temp is currently 7. Not much melting going on.
    If you weren't born a thoroughbred, be the fastest donkey you can be! ltrsports.com

mtbr member
    so, even rustlers and the part of mary's you said was rideable are snow covered?
    sounds like you would need to ride early when the snow is hard, or are these trails open?

mtbr member
    Rustler's has a single track that is packed, from Hikers, XC, etc... Mary's has two single tracks packed. It kind of looks like someone drove up it. The packed single track is great, fall off it, and you are making fresh tracks. It is deep, so temp really doesn't matter, you are going to break through all but the packed single tracks. As far as the trails being open, I don't know if there is any official closed season for these trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good enough to feed the fix

It's cold enough today with the slight cloud cover that the dog and I didn't take off till after noon and had great conditions. The hard pack is thick enough in most places that I think it will hold up for awhile. Nice traction, with very few sections of ice.

A few shots that confirm fasterdonkeys earlier report:

Out of the house equals happy dog:

Obligatory bike in the snow pic:

Choices, choices. As I got further along Mary's the snow was deep enough that I'd occasionally catch a pedal:

Nice day to be out and good conditions made it even better!
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    thanks for the pics......guess that won't be melting by next week :-(

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull_D
    thanks for the pics......guess that won't be melting by next week :-(
    No. It's been crazy cold here. Usually we get a bunch of 40-50 degree days in the winter and everything usually melts off in a day or two. Not this winter. I'm not looking forward to opening my Dec. heat bill!

I haven't even considered taking the bike out. I've been trying to get out hiking and even running (I HATE RUNNING) till it warms up.

mtbr member
    Great photos! Love the dog pics! Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

dog on trail

is that fine looking hound titus or nike by any chance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slobob the mighty
    is that fine looking hound titus or nike by any chance?
    Nope. Miss Scarlet Begonias.

Are titus and nike riding boxers? While I occasionally cross paths with people hiking with boxers, I rarely see other people riding with them.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag
    Miss Scarlet Begonias.
    I never made that connection, and I even have a version in my CD player.

I did the water tank loop the other day, the hardest part was getting out of the cul de sac. I hiked Lunch Line, Eagle's etc also, was very rideable for the most part. I assume Gunny Connector is as well.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    My meatheads(Jake Tucker) absolutely live to mtn bike.They go crazy whenever I get the bike out.They also enjoy the occasional slackcountry.Here they are at porc rim eating my camera bag and posing over the colo river.I threw in a slackcountry pic as well.
    Man's best friend for sure!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anything Still Ride-able-img_0175.jpg  

Anything Still Ride-able-img_0176.jpg  

Anything Still Ride-able-img_0650%5B1%5D.jpg  

Anything Still Ride-able-img_0180.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast