mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Anyone know how Steamboat's lookin'?

Hi! Just checked the trail conditions page and not seeing much news on trail conditions. Definitely not ready to ride here in Winter Park, but was wondering how our neighbors in Steamboat are looking? Seeing some great looking temps out there coming up. Emerald/Ridge/Beall close or rideable yet?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The lower part of Ridge trail is dry and rideable but it's an up and back. The Rotary trail out there is also open. Beall trail is closed until July 1 due to elk migration/habitat preservation. The lower trails on Emerald are drying up but nothing is open yet. Mad Creek and Lower Bear trails are open. Hot Springs trail should be close if it's not already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here's a link to the citiy's trail conditions page, which is new this year: Steamboat Springs Trails

Keep in mind that page currently only has trails within city limits.

According to that, you could ride the gravel road up to the quarry on Emerald but that's it right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks so much, I was internet-ing a ton trying to find something like that! Really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    I have been to the top of Ridge, Rotary open, Hot Springs open, Mad creek open to mad house, red dirt open to power lines, Spring Creek has snow down low, but once past you can ride up above the wall. I hear lower frontside Emerald is dry, but closed. You can reach the quarry on Blackmier, but snow still persists in the upper trees on Emerald, and draining down onto the lower trails.

Note; these are my opinions and not an official trail report.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Any updated on Steamboat? How is Howelsen looking? Looks to be nice and warm all week, so hoping to head up there if the riding is OK.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    Any updated on Steamboat? How is Howelsen looking? Looks to be nice and warm all week, so hoping to head up there if the riding is OK.
    Some of the lower trails on Emerald are dry and officially open. The Bluffs, Ricky's Ridge, Larry's, MGM, Molly's and the Gas Line. Here's the link again to the city's official trail map site with current open status: Steamboat Springs Trails Like sbsbiker said, you can take the road up to the quarry and hit Little Moab but you would have to ride back down the road to Larry's to connect with anything else. It was pretty warm and sunny all weekend and is supposed to continue all week. I think it will still be a few weeks before the upper trails are open, though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, what snap said, I rode Bluffs, Ricky's,Upper Lupine, Larry's, MGM,eye to eye, and Molly's on Sunday. There is some mud on the bluffs, that's easily walked, and the lower lupine is closed/muddy. Above MGM and the stock pond, the logging road is still holding snow, and muddy. I would not expect any more to open for at least a week.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How are things looking up there? This week looks to be pretty warm so hopefully some remaining Emerald trails will melt out. Going to head up on Friday but wanted to hear what the latest was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As of right now, everything from the rock quarry and below is open except for Blair Witch. Quarry Mountain and Root Canal are open but they would need to be ridden as an out and back. Anything they connect to is not yet open. It is warm and sunny here now and supposed to continue that way the res of the week so things will continue to dry out.

mtbr member
    You can connect the QMT/Root Canal to the Ridge, and down. If you need more trail, and a bigger out and back. Still very swampy on the upper Prayer road, and around Abby's.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. What about on the other side of the ridge with the Beall Trail?

mtbr member
    Beall trail is closed till June 15 or 30th for elk calving. Can't remember if it's 15th or 30th. Last year the snow melted early and BlM opened it early. Stay tuned to RCR trail reports or RCR's Facebook for details. Most of the snow is gone just waiting on the government.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Going to be up next weekend and hoping to get a few rides in. When you ride out to Hot Springs Trail on Strawberry Park Rd do you just ride past the entrance to the Hot Springs, where you normally pay, down past the bathrooms, and the trail starts there? Do not have to pay entrance fee, etc?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Going to be up next weekend and hoping to get a few rides in. When you ride out to Hot Springs Trail on Strawberry Park Rd do you just ride past the entrance to the Hot Springs, where you normally pay, down past the bathrooms, and the trail starts there? Do not have to pay entrance fee, etc?
    Yes, don't pay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Yes, don't pay.
    Thanks! Thinking of riding Hot Springs on Friday and mix in some stuff on Emerald a few other days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are trails up at the mountain open yet? Creekside, Pete's? If so, what's a good route/loop for riding those? Looks like Thursday I've got to drop the wife off down by the gondola so thought maybe I'd ride around there.

Thanks for the info. I'm up there at least once a year, usually in early summer, and have just always rode Emerald a bunch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There's still a lot of snow on the upper mountain so Pete's is most definitely closed. The bike park on the mountain is scheduled to open on June 12th. That's also the first day the gondola opens for summer operations. Creekside won't officially be open until the summer operations start. It's possible it could be rideable before then but I haven't been up there and I haven't heard anything about it from anyone else, either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the info.

If anyone is interested in riding Hot Springs/Mad Creek on Friday, or anything else for that matter, feel free to shoot a PM.

mtbr member
    Bump this for a CDT update. Anyone been playing up on Mountain View and FCF down?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm assuming everything is opened up? I'm heading up next weekend

mtbr member
    Trees down on some of the high country trails, snow gone, but mud remains in places.

Paully, my wife and some girlfriend did FCf last weekend, it's all open and clear, and I did Spring creek/buff/CDot/MtView weeks ago nothing but lots of down trees, but I hear the USFS is getting those out, they may be done already.