mtbr member

Anyone done the Gunnison Growler?

Has anyone here done the Gunnison Growler? Is it a recommended race? Would you do it again? I'm looking for a low-key race for good scenery and singletrack. Not necessarily to win anything as I'm not in top shape right now.

I was thinking about signing up for the Gunny growler today but I see the registration is sold out. Does anyone know of a waiting list or locals forum where guys who no longer want to do the event sell their ticket?
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I did the half Growler last year - my only race so far. I'm not that competitive and in this sense it was not intimidating. There were plenty of others riding at about the same pace and they were generally encouraging and some offered to let me pass and so on. Pretty low-key in this regard.

It's a good but tough course. I'd say probably at least 70% is on singletrack and the Hartman's singletrack is a lot of fun - a mixture of flowy with occasional techy rock sections. The tough part is the constant shifting from uphill to downhill. A single lap has 4000ft of climbing. The single largest climb is only about 400ft. There are lots of 50-150ft climbs. One climbs up one of these for 10-20 minutes, screams down the other side in 5 minutes or less (i.e. no recovery time) and repeats this over and over for 4 or more hours (per lap). It feels like one is climbing all day long. This is the exhausting part.

I signed up again mostly because I think I can suffer in better style this time.

mtbr member
    Did the half last year. Would highly recommend it.

First, I never finished. I did this mostly as a "ride" with my Lady and she took a digger within the first 1/2 hour and took her bar-end right in the chest. She tried to keep going, trooper that she is, but after a while I called it, she was in too much pain.

I say this because all along the way, the frequent intersections and support stops were staffed incredibly well, and every person was offering their support given the situation. When I finally pulled the plug, a volunteer radioed in to have us taken out of the area. After a couple of minutes, Dave Wiens shows up in his suburban and offers us and our bikes a ride to the finish, where a buddy of his who just finished (an ER MD) offered to look her over. It ended up that Dave drove us in to town for X-rays. All this during the race. Can't say enough in support of this event or the Director, Dave.

With the great organization, challenging course, incredible town, and all the other riding opportunities in the area, I would highly recommend the Growler.

Just go, try to get a spot, and if not, well hell, you're in Gunnison for the weekend.
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."