mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New question here. Any Shuttles from Crested Butte to top of Schofield Pass

Coming from Arkansas lowland of 500' elevation to Crested Butte on September 16th. Does anyone offer a shuttle from the trailhead or town to the top of Schofield Pass? I know it sounds wimpy, but trying to not kill ourself on a fire road climb on the first day before heading on to Fruita/Grand Junction and Moab.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ArTech; 09-10-2013 at 03:02 AM.

OSCMTB
    It's really not a bad climb. Long and gradual.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArTech View Post
    Does anyone offer a shuttle from the trailhead or town to the top of Schofield Pass? Thanks

It's not a tough climb; that said:

Dolly's Mountain Shuttle

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbagpinner View Post
    It's not a tough climb; that said:

Dolly's Mountain Shuttle
    Actually a pretty easy spin. The road itself isn't very exciting, but it's pretty and you get a lot better chance to experience the scenery than you do from a car.

Tigers love pepper...
    Depending in your conditioning its not too bad. I'm out of shape, and it was a long climb. That said, it's not THAT hard. 100% rideable, only a few steep sections. But you will feel it, especially coming from sea level(ish)! Took me 1:15 to the top of 401. I took my time and stopped for a few pics and watched the fit riders wiz past me.

If you think you want or need a shuttle, do it. You'll have a great time either way. 2nd the recommendation on Dolly Shuttles. Saw a bunch of them up there.

OSCMTB
    Took me about an hour as well. But it was pretty badass and I felt more accomplished.

Check the elevation graph here:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all of the replies. I understand the sense of accomplishment by making the complete loop. I will call Dolly and ask how much they charge. I might drop my wife off at the top and park the car at the bottom and try to catch her. The biggest climb we have in Arkansas is Mount Magazine. We have completed that climb before. It is a little longer than this climb but at a lot lower elevation. I don't want turn the wifes legs into Jello on the first day of the trip :P

mtbr member
    Question for the OP, why are you making your first day in CO in Crested Butte, then heading to GJ? Makes more sense to me start low end high.

I would imagine from how you are talking, you'll only ride the "short" loop of 401. If that is your plan the ride is only 8.5 miles with roughly 1,600 ft of climbing. The climb from the top of the road to the downhill is only 1.3 miles.

Personally over the years it's sad to see so many people shuttling such a short and easy ride to say they ridden 401, when in fact they end up riding only part of it.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I rode CB last Monday and being the slow lardy rider I am, took me 2 hours to get to the top of 401. The 3 miles up the road is alot easier to pedal than the singletrack up once you get to Schoffeld Pass which is another almost 2 miles from there.

I did see some shuttle vehicles go up to the Pass so I am sure there are shuttles there - as far as taking a personal vehicle up there - you will need a good 4x4 high clearance to get up there as there are washouts especially once you get to Rustler's Gulch and higher. I have a 2WD Ranger with a 4 bike mount hitch rack in the back and the first washout I encountered at Rustler's Gulch was deep enough that I didn't want to risk driving through it.

If you jump off at Rustler's Gulch, the road out to the main road was washed out - about thigh deep where the water was across the road - had to hike down to where there was a couple of logs across the "creek" to get across.

It's an awesome trail though - once you get to where the trail points down - it is sweet as can be.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    FWIW, seems like you would want to do Monarch Crest, since you're in the area. Also, they do have good shuttles at 8:00 and 10:00 a.m., from Salida. Just say'n.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    as far as taking a personal vehicle up there - you will need a good 4x4 high clearance to get up there as there are washouts especially once you get to Rustler's Gulch and higher.
    Entirely not true. I've been up over Schofield Pass multiple times with my Subaru Outback and never came close to having a problem. I've seen plenty of smaller sedans up there too- it's an easy road to drive, just take your time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems to be getting worse. I don't normally ride 401 till Fall due to the fact that I hate riding with a crowd. That said, my wife and I drove up to Schofield Park a few weeks ago to hike the CB side of East Maroon. The top of Schofield Pass was a parking lot of cars who seemed to be shuttling 401. It's a pretty easy climb, even if your from sea level it really shouldn't be that hard if you take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    Question for the OP, why are you making your first day in CO in Crested Butte, then heading to GJ? Makes more sense to me start low end high.

I would imagine from how you are talking, you'll only ride the "short" loop of 401. If that is your plan the ride is only 8.5 miles with roughly 1,600 ft of climbing. The climb from the top of the road to the downhill is only 1.3 miles.

Personally over the years it's sad to see so many people shuttling such a short and easy ride to say they ridden 401, when in fact they end up riding only part of it.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I rode the trail this past summer but parked at the first trailhead past Gothic to ride Gothic Rd and the 401 all the way up and down. The second part of 401 is really cool with that little bridge over the creek and the road up to Schofield was smooth a butter. Oh, and I live in Florida right at sea level.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT