Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9

    Any mountain biking realtors around?

    Hi all

    my wife and I are planning a move to Colorado. We have only been to the Denver area and vacationed in Vale once. Vale Was kinda lame.

    We currently live in Central Oregon and want more elevation, better views, more challenging trails. Maybe real dirt? Thinking western CO has what we have been looking for.

    We can live pretty much anywhere as long as we are 30-45 min from a hospital and have Internet access due to work requirements.

    We are unsure as to how to look at lots of homes in lots of areas. Would we use multiple realtors? Ideally we could find a realtor who loves mountain biking who could help us narrow down some options.

    So far Durango looks to be in our price range. Crested butte is a little steep and has no hospital from what I can tell. Salida looks promising as well.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,262
    My wonderful wife http://www.kw.com/kw/agent/cindybrossman
    We both ride and have lived in Durango for 15 years. PM me if you have any other Durango questions.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    477
    I live in Crested Butte and it is a bit pricey, somewhat cheaper in Gunnison. I always thought Durango and Salida weren't much cheaper either. I would say the most affordable with access to some of the best riding areas would be Grand Junction. They have a nice hospital too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    I live in Crested Butte and it is a bit pricey, somewhat cheaper in Gunnison. I always thought Durango and Salida weren't much cheaper either. I would say the most affordable with access to some of the best riding areas would be Grand Junction. They have a nice hospital too.
    Thanks for the reply. We have about 50 homes on a list (using Zillow) all over Colorado (map attached). Lots near Denver as it is an option - but I would prefer being on the Western Slope. I think anyway....

    You are probably right about Salida. The few we have found in our price range are above Salida. And they are the TOP of our range.

    We don't appear to have any near Grand Junction. My wife is doing most of the hunting. I will check over that way. Thanks!

    Any mountain biking realtors around?-co_homes.jpg

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by co_trails View Post
    Lots near Denver as it is an option - but I would prefer being on the Western Slope. I think anyway....
    The front range is nice, but you'll be driving to trailheads most of the time, fighting traffic and lots of crowds, not to mention the front range housing market has blown up, prices are way up because that is where most of the jobs are and where people are moving into this state. Unless you like a more urban area there are tons of other nicer areas akin to outdoor activities where you don't have to fight the weekend warriors from the urban areas. It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility with remote work kinda like myself. Have you visited any of the areas in question? There are pros and cons to each of those towns and the riding is different at all of them.

  7. #7
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by co_trails View Post
    Thanks for the reply. We have about 50 homes on a list (using Zillow) all over Colorado (map attached). Lots near Denver as it is an option - but I would prefer being on the Western Slope. I think anyway....

    You are probably right about Salida. The few we have found in our price range are above Salida. And they are the TOP of our range.

    We don't appear to have any near Grand Junction. My wife is doing most of the hunting. I will check over that way. Thanks!
    I've lived in Salida since 2000. It's a nice town. Real estate has been really heating up here, but the recent stock market tanking seems to have cooled things down a little. The best time of year to look for real estate is now.

    I know quite a few realtors, but my choice if you want a mountain biker would be Hayden.

    Kym & Hayden | Pinon Real Estate

    Rides, fly fishing guide, all around nice guy.

    If you can live anywhere you want near a hospital, do NOT live anywhere near the Front Range.

    Grand Junction is a nice place, I lived there back in the 80's when I started riding mtb. But be aware it's much more of a desert place than a mountain place. You can get to the mtns relatively easy, but it's more than a half hour to get up onto the Mesa (flat top at around 10-11K elevation--semi-mountains) and more like two hours to get into the San Juans. Doesn't mean it isn't a really nice, beautiful place, but it ain't mountains.

    GJ's St Mary's hospital is one of the best in the region. It serves a vast area. The next big towns are 3+ hours away (Denver to east, Salt Lake City to northwest).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Thanks guys!

    I think you are right about Grand Junction. I personally would be happy there. I like the rocky, technical, desert style of riding. Like moab.

    That said - it does look too dry for my wife's taste. She wants more mountains and more green.

    We are already in a dry climate (bend) and to get even dryer probably isn't going to fly.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,262
    I often propound the diversity of riding not far from Durango, including Moab, the San Juans and Sedona.
    And of course the many trails that can be had right from my door step Trails 2000 | Trails

    Good luck in your search.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  10. #10
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I often propound the diversity of riding not far from Durango, including Moab, the San Juans and Sedona.
    And of course the many trails that can be had right from my door step ...
    cbrossman probably already knows this, I'm a big fan of Durango. He's right. It's a pretty kick-ass place to start if you want to go riding, either from your door or to great travel places.

    Or to ski, or to paddle, or hunt/fish...

    I see Durango as being quite a bit more expensive than Salida, but to be fair I haven't really checked for a while. I bought a house in Salida 5 years ago, have a good job and I'm staying out of the ditch in terms of livelihood keeping up with expenses. So I'm pretty well settled, but if I were suddenly handed a nice big chuck of cash, Durango would be on my short list.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I often propound the diversity of riding not far from Durango, including Moab, the San Juans and Sedona.
    And of course the many trails that can be had right from my door step Trails 2000 | Trails

    Good luck in your search.
    Thanks Craig. Sounds amazing.

  12. #12
    Towlie for prez
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    636
    Thumbs up for Cindy Brossman. She is a great Realtor and a kick ass mtbr' !! (Her husband not so much....) She was my Realtor years ago when I moved to Durango.
    You'll be happy if you work with her!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    Thumbs up for Cindy Brossman. She is a great Realtor and a kick ass mtbr' !! (Her husband not so much....) She was my Realtor years ago when I moved to Durango.
    You'll be happy if you work with her!
    sweet. Have some emails into her already.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Have you looked into Steamboat? We have great mountainbiking, the 2nd biggest ski area in CO, and a good small town feel for a resort town.

    Steamboat has direct flights out of the valley to bigger markets, and is only a 3hr drive to Denver. Durango and CB are 8hr and 6hr drives to Denver.

    Barkley Robinson was a top10 mtbike racer back before his wife/kids, he will steer you to a new home, and can talk market. I will PM his email.

  15. #15
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    ...
    Steamboat has direct flights out of the valley to bigger markets, and is only a 3hr drive to Denver. Durango and CB are 8hr and 6hr drives to Denver...
    FYI, Durango is way closer to Albuquerque. Under 4 hours Durango->ABQ.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Albuquerque didn't just win the Super Bowl.

  17. #17
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Albuquerque didn't just win the Super Bowl.
    The whatsit?

    Oh, is that the basketball thingy?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Albuquerque didn't just win the Super Bowl.
    funny.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woody.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    253
    We moved from Denver to Cortez, CO.
    Has a hospital
    Good riding and a lot less expensive than Durango.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    We moved from Denver to Cortez, CO.
    Has a hospital
    Good riding and a lot less expensive than Durango.
    Cortez appears to be fairly flat from what I can tell. Maybe too flat?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woody.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    253
    Yep its flatter, but is at 6200'. High desert.
    Lots of great riding: Phils World, Boggy Draw, which they snow groom for fat bikes.
    Moab is an hour and a half
    Durango is 45 minutes
    Telluride is hour an a half
    Great bike shop.d
    Mesa Vera national park.
    If you give Durango a look give Cortez a look as well.
    Mancos is closer to Durango.
    We retired in Cortez and got 6 acres of land with irrigation water and a semi-custom house for what we sold our house for in Denver.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Yep its flatter, but is at 6200'. High desert.
    Lots of great riding: Phils World, Boggy Draw, which they snow groom for fat bikes.
    Moab is an hour and a half
    Durango is 45 minutes
    Telluride is hour an a half
    Great bike shop.d
    Mesa Vera national park.
    If you give Durango a look give Cortez a look as well.
    Mancos is closer to Durango.
    We retired in Cortez and got 6 acres of land with irrigation water and a semi-custom house for what we sold our house for in Denver.
    I will check it out - thanks.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sbsbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    cbrossman probably already knows this, I'm a big fan of Durango. He's right. It's a pretty kick-ass place to start if you want to go riding, either from your door or to great travel places.

    Or to ski, or to paddle, or hunt/fish...

    I see Durango as being quite a bit more expensive than Salida, but to be fair I haven't really checked for a while. I bought a house in Salida 5 years ago, have a good job and I'm staying out of the ditch in terms of livelihood keeping up with expenses. So I'm pretty well settled, but if I were suddenly handed a nice big chuck of cash, Durango would be on my short list.
    I will add that if (when) I retire to Salida, I will also speak highly of Durango, Steamboat, and every other mt town.

Similar Threads

  1. Tucson area Realtors?
    By Sean Allan in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-21-2015, 07:35 AM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 10:12 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 05:19 AM
  4. Winter mountain biking, not fat biking, on front range?
    By Training-Wheels in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 09:29 PM
  5. Any realtors out there?
    By dubstings in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow MTBR on Facebook