mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Any good rides around Gateway ?

Going to be heading to Gateway Canyons Resort and was wondering if there are any good rides around that area. I know GJ/Fruita are on the way, but specifically looking for any Gateway info.

Thanks

mtbr member
    There's a trail system at the resort. They have maps at the adventure outpost or whatever it is called there. There's other nearby trails off the resort I believe. I'm sure the resort staff can point you to the good rides. I picked up a map last time we were there but haven't ridden any of it.

There's a good thread in this forum somewhere if you search.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you travel south on Hwy 141 for about a half hour you can access some great rides around the Biscut Rock and Uravan areas. The Paradox Trail uses the bridge at the rock to cross the Dolores River. The ride up Red Canyon is fantastic with spectacular views of the Paradox Valley to be had once you reach the top. You can make a 13 mile loop out of it by coming back down CR U 13.
    Continue along Hwy 141 for another 5 miles and you access the Y11 trail, an advanced singletrack. It starts on the south side of the old iron bridge at Uravan which crossesnthe San Miguel River. Get the BLM Nucla section map. It's a great intro map for the West End of Montrose County.

IPA tester
    Bumping up an old thread but the OP had the same questions I have now.

Just won a trip to the Gateway Canyons Resort in April of this year and had some questions for the locals.

1. What's the "normal" weather in the middle of April like there?
    2. Checked out the trails on Trailforks and they seemed pretty mild and short. Is there much more right there?
    (I might drive up and hit a couple places on the way up but looking for info near the resort)

Any other updated info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the trip to Gateway Canyons Resort. Very nice place..The trail system is right at the resort and as you stated pretty mild. It was a few years since we stayed there so I don't know if they added any more trails or not. As others have mentioned you can do some exploring around Paradox. Otherwise if you feel like driving a bit, head down to Montrose and do Buzzard Gulch area or Rat Trails in Ridgway.

mtbr member
    Weather should be pretty good that time of year, but it could rain, probably in the 60s.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR, 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport

IPA tester
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
    Hoping to hear that some more trails were built but trailforks is usually up to date. The goods aren't always posted up either

If you can think of anything close please let me know

Coming up from San Diego so I'll be looking at Moab, St. Goerge, Hurricane, Sedona, Prescott, and others during the trip back & forth.

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
    Hoping to hear that some more trails were built but trailforks is usually up to date. The goods aren't always posted up either

If you can think of anything close please let me know

Coming up from San Diego so I'll be looking at Moab, St. Goerge, Hurricane, Sedona, Prescott, and others during the trip back & forth.
    Depending on the route you take, you might be going right past Fruita and Grand Junction, but in any case you will only be about an hour from those while you are in Gateway.

While you are there, you might fall in love with the area and want to buy some real estate:

Discovery Channel founder selling enormous Colorado ranch for $149 million | FOX31 Denver

mtbr member
    Don't be spreading that around, I'm planning to buy it. Just need that mega jackpot.

As for the trails, I've been wanting to check out some of the stuff koski mentions above like Y11, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Look into the West End Trail Alliance.
    They have maps ontheir website
    Biking | West End Trails Alliance

https://www.facebook.com/West-End-Tr...7023886396084/

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Don't be spreading that around, I'm planning to buy it. Just need that mega jackpot.

As for the trails, I've been wanting to check out some of the stuff koski mentions above like Y11, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Look into the West End Trail Alliance.
    They have maps ontheir website
    Biking | West End Trails Alliance

https://www.facebook.com/West-End-Tr...7023886396084/
    Thanks for the links. I'll check it out

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

IPA tester
    Google maps shows a road going basically westbound to Moab from Grand Canyons resort. What's that road like since it shows 57 miles but 2 hour drive

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

This place needs an enema
    Google maps shows a road going basically westbound to Moab from Grand Canyons resort. What's that road like since it shows 57 miles but 2 hour drive

Steep. And clay-based soils. In a normal winter, buried with snow in April. In a drier winter (like this one), probably still impassable due to mud in April.

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Steep. And clay-based soils. In a normal winter, buried with snow in April. In a drier winter (like this one), probably still impassable due to mud in April.
    So it's a dirt fire road and not a paved road. That was my thinking but thanks for confirming it.

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

IPA tester
    So it's a dirt fire road and not a paved road. That was my thinking but thanks for confirming it.
    A friend of mine coming here took that route in his rental car. He made it but had to hammer down through some muddy sections. It was an import SUV with 4X4 which helped

I rode the Gateway trails and liked them. Pretty darn thin in areas which makes you pay attention. I'm recovering from a sprained ankle and torn Achilles so I didn't roll it as I would have liked.

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com