Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Another Steamboat thread...what's dry?

We're taking my in-laws to Steamboat this weekend. I'd like to get out for a nice long ride with lots of climbing. I'm pretty sure I have to ride from near the resort where we're staying since we'll have only one car. But I don't mind spending some time on pavement if I have to. Is anything dry enough? Or should I leave the MTB at home and bring my road bike instead?

Thanks.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    heading up Thurs morning to the Boat..im bringin the DH and the AM bike..should be good to go.

Want to vent?
    More like whats not dry at this point.

I'd say most everything is a go. Probably still some slop on the divide.

I have ridden north routt as well and will be doing south routt thursday but have heard its a go too.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Weldo,

BeanWife and I will be up there Friday. Gonna ride the Gondola one day and other stuff after that.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Weldo,

BeanWife and I will be up there Friday. Gonna ride the Gondola one day and other stuff after that.
    Sounds like we might need to meet up finally and ride....

mtbr member

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by The SS Boz
    More like whats not dry at this point.

I'd say most everything is a go. Probably still some slop on the divide.

I have ridden north routt as well and will be doing south routt thursday but have heard its a go too.
    Good to hear. Now I just have plan a good ride!!

mtbr member
    Weldo,

You've got a PM.

Want to vent?
    10k ft area is still nasty. Just got a report from a roomie who went hiking.

But still say most other stuff is good to go.

mtbr member
    I don't know the area one bit (other than having skied one weekend this past winter).

Any suggestions on what to ride? I'm looking to ride from town, 3-4 hours (or more), I like to climb, I like scenery (duh), I can handle most technical stuff. I plan to go buy a map or two today.

mtbr member
    I don't know the area one bit (other than having skied one weekend this past winter).

Any suggestions on what to ride? I'm looking to ride from town, 3-4 hours (or more), I like to climb, I like scenery (duh), I can handle most technical stuff. I plan to go buy a map or two today.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    looks like a little rain might be in the picture, and if lightning is within a 20 mile radius, they will shut the gondi down...
    Riding tomorrow afternoon in the Boat through Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.

mtbr member
    Weldo,
    what kind of ride are you planning. I'd like to do a longish (3-4 hr) ride on Saturday. I'll be staying somewhere near the resort.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    prolly riding thurs pm, friday dh and sat am, then tubing the river hopefully..

shoot me a pm Llama

Cycling, FTW!!

Dry/cleared trails-

North Routt is starting to dry out pretty good, but there are definitely still sloppy areas.

-Coulton creek and Cutover have been cut out but have some pretty messy sections.

-Scotts run got cut out last Thursday and was in really good shape. Only a few wet patches on the whole trail. unfortunately, there will be a group of 150 horses riding the trail later this month, so go get it now before it gets ruined!

-The CDT singletrack between diamond park and Seedhouse is clear but there were some muddy spots on it last I checked. The creek crossings were doable if you dont mind getting your feet wet.

-South Fork trail was cut out last week but the creek crossing is still flowing pretty good and I hear there are already more trees blown down on the trail already.

-Same with Diamond park trail, cut out a few weeks ago and already has trees down on the trail. A dead tree almost fell on a lady who was hiking the trail last week so keep your heads up!

-I heard that Pearl lake trail has been in great shape for a while now, but I haven't checked it out.

Closer to town everything is ridable, with the exception of Mountain View and every other route that takes you to the top of Fish Creek falls trail. There are snow patches on Mtn. View as soon as you leave the ski area and it is solid snow once you drop into Long park.

Please stay off the trails near the divide and give them time to dry out some. It sure would be nice if our user group had more respect for wet trails than all the clueless people on horses.

And speaking of our user group, some a$$h0le with Continental tires rode the wilderness section of Red dirt/ Swamp park and left deep tire tracks in the mud for miles! Stuff like that really gives bikers a good name, good work.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    -Coulton creek and Cutover have been cut out but have some pretty messy sections.

I would stay off those two till they dry out more, the mud is in long (250+yard) sections and the trail is more hiking than riding. Plus, the trails are getting widened by users being forced into the grass by the 6 in deep mud. The horse traffic is also causing large water filled diviots that is slowing the drying.
    On south fork the river crossing was over the knee and flowing fast use extra caution.

Want to vent?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker

I would stay off those two till they dry out more, the mud is in long (250+yard) sections and the trail is more hiking than riding. Plus, the trails are getting widened by users being forced into the grass by the 6 in deep mud. The horse traffic is also causing large water filled diviots that is slowing the drying.
    On south fork the river crossing was over the knee and flowing fast use extra caution.
    I've seen it too...that trail (wyoming) will need some re-routes soon regardless IMO.

mtbr member
    The trails are dry and fast down here. In fact, I'm on my way up to Memphis Sunday morning for the Iron Butt 100.
    I was in the pain cave and I had dropped the flashlight, so it was pretty dark at that point. I was just hanging on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    -Scotts run got cut out last Thursday and was in really good shape. Only a few wet patches on the whole trail. unfortunately, there will be a group of 150 horses riding the trail later this month, so go get it now before it gets ruined!
    Puke. 150 horses? Some kind of sturgis rally for horses up there?!?

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs
    Puke. 150 horses? Some kind of sturgis rally for horses up there?!?
    Yeah, a rally made up of a bunch of billionaire cowboys and high ranking forest service officials.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Cycling, FTW!!

Thanks for the beta SBS, I thought those nasty sections would have gotten a little better by now, guess not.
    Vista Verde ranch has done quite the number on the bottom of Coulton by taking horses on the trail too early this spring, and the salvage loggers ruined the first 1/3rd mile of Cutover.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Yeah, a rally made up of a bunch of billionaire cowboys and high ranking forest service officials."

What's your source for this? More info?
    after riding up there I don't think the trail could support this type of event and really think if it's a FS permitted event, they should not be granted access to trails that are so wet that lasting damage will result from such a large group of heavy horses.

I'm always surprised at the lack of concern the FS has to damage caused by 2000# users.

Cycling, FTW!!
    "Yeah, a rally made up of a bunch of billionaire cowboys and high ranking forest service officials."

What's your source for this? More info?
    after riding up there I don't think the trail could support this type of event and really think if it's a FS permitted event, they should not be granted access to trails that are so wet that lasting damage will result from such a large group of heavy horses.

I'm always surprised at the lack of concern the FS has to damage caused by 2000#
    users.
    I was actually just going off of rumors I have been hearing, but a quick google search of "RRR" confirmed the groups existence, so I'd say chances are that they are coming to Steamboat this year. Yaaayy!

From the Rocky Mountain News "The Roundup Riders of the Rockies, a secretive fraternity that has been conducting swanky rides through the Rockies for nearly 60 summers, paid about $15,000 to get a permit and pay for any damage they caused to trails or wetlands."

^Does that answer your question, sbs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yea, thanks, $15,000 that could build a lot of trails. There are a couple of sections of the divide trail comming out of diamond park that could use some help. Give that cash to the RMYC and put them to work.

What about the rumors I keep hearing that the trail work done to Valley View is just the start of the ski area's plans to expand the trail system on mt Werner? I spoke to a RCR member that told me the ski corp is finally working to redo the master trail plan with expanded mtb trails and is looking for input? It's rumor, but more trails on the mt would be excellent, especally if we could get a exclusive DH, an easy uphill for beginners and expand the XC out into the flats below the chutes/onto the pioneer ridge area. I would love to ride out in the Flying Z to the top of golf course meadows and down to creekside, lots of room out there.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Good work on the berms on valley view...but a few of the kickers need to be removed for safety reasons, as I was almost hit on the ride up....or they either need to make it a downhill traffic only trail, although it is the BEST singletrack ride up the ski slope.

Nice beta mentioned above in this post.

Want to vent?

What about the rumors I keep hearing that the trail work done to Valley View is just the start of the ski area's plans to expand the trail system on mt Werner? I spoke to a RCR member that told me the ski corp is finally working to redo the master trail plan with expanded mtb trails and is looking for input? It's rumor, but more trails on the mt would be excellent, especally if we could get a exclusive DH, an easy uphill for beginners and expand the XC out into the flats below the chutes/onto the pioneer ridge area. I would love to ride out in the Flying Z to the top of golf course meadows and down to creekside, lots of room out there.
    I just heard something similiar. A new uphill only and downhill only trail on werner? No details yet though.

FYI big tree currently down on Creekside before the last water crossing. Careful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast