mtbr member

Alpine loop off the 550

I am going to be passing through the area on my way from Phoenix to visit my parents in Olathe and am thinking of bringing the bike for a couple hour ride along the way. I think riding a few miles of the Alpine loop might be a good excursion, so my question is this. What would be the better ride if I want to get in 10 or 15 miles? Getting onto the loop from just north of Red Mountain Pass? Or getting on it just north of Ouray? I guess another option would be going up Imogean Pass over Silverton... Any of these options better than another? Also open to suggestions if it would be better to hit something in Durango or between there and Silverton.

I have done all that on a motorcycle but at the time wasn't really making mental notes for mountain biking it, wish I had!

thanks!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I am going to be passing through the area on my way from Phoenix to visit my parents in Olathe and am thinking of bringing the bike for a couple hour ride along the way. I think riding a few miles of the Alpine loop might be a good excursion, so my question is this. What would be the better ride if I want to get in 10 or 15 miles? Getting onto the loop from just north of Red Mountain Pass? Or getting on it just north of Ouray? I guess another option would be going up Imogean Pass over Silverton... Any of these options better than another? Also open to suggestions if it would be better to hit something in Durango or between there and Silverton.

I have done all that on a motorcycle but at the time wasn't really making mental notes for mountain biking it, wish I had!

thanks!
    You might want to get another map. The Alpine Loop runs from Silverton to Lake City. I think the road you're refering to from Red Mtn. Pass is called Cork Screw Pass. Also, Imogene Pass is in between Ouray and Telluride.

I would ride an out and back on the CO Trail from the top of Molas Pass. It's all single track and mostly above tree line so you can enjoy the massive views. Plus, you won't have to avoid all the Texas wheel chairs, Jeeps and FJ's that'll surely take pleasure in running you off the road.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    You are correct, it's more of a loop around Lake City and Animas Fork. But part of the official network is a back road into Silverton off the 550 and another access road from just above Ouray.

However you may be right that the Colorado Trail from Molas Pass would be a better option. I have been up there many many times but didn't realize there was such a thing as the Colorado Trail or that it was up there. Somebody else recommended I do that ride as well so I might go that route. Where do you get on the trail? Is it that parking area a couple miles toward Durango from the Molas Pass lookout?

thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Tom,

You are much better off riding the Colorado Trail. I've ridden the loop you were initially talking about on an ATV and you would not be happy on it with a mountain bike. Especially when there are much better atlernatives. As I recall you park in the camp/picnic area at the top of Molas.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Park at the top of Molas. Get on your bike, cross 550 and head towards Silverton. 100yds down the road you'll see the trail to your left. If you miss it there's no hope for you.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    That's great info, thanks! I will certainly do the Colorado Trail.

mtbr member

Good job!

Hey, I'll be doing that ride from Animas Forks to Lake City and back this time next week.
    A Monday and Tuesday won't be too bad for the Texas wheel chairs, fun group, and credit card camping in Lake City. Nice steak dinner, a beer or several, and a nice warm, dry bed with my lovely wife.
    It's a mountain bike, it doesn't have to all be on single track. We have so much great riding here it is nice to break it up a little (%$#@, did I say that out loud?)
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Hey, I'll be doing that ride from Animas Forks to Lake City and back this time next week.
    A Monday and Tuesday won't be too bad for the Texas wheel chairs, fun group, and credit card camping in Lake City. Nice steak dinner, a beer or several, and a nice warm, dry bed with my lovely wife.
    It's a mountain bike,[SIZE="5"] it doesn't have to all be on single track. [/SIZE]We have so much great riding here it is nice to break it up a little (%$#@, did I say that out loud?)
    Who are you... and what have you done with Brossman?

mtbr member

You are right

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Who are you... and what have you done with Brossman?
    Not so long ago, I wouldn't even be enthusiastic about a ride that was out-and-back.
    But now a days, I ride so much more that I'll ride anything and everything.

During the past week, for example, 2 SS rides, 2 road rides, and 2 long unicycle rides. I get the full suspension back today, so that will be in the mix again soon.

Human powered wheel(s) are fun.
    Craig, Durango CO

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    What happened to the Ventana?
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    What happened to the Ventana?
    2009 Revelation has been leaking oil for over a month, same on the Turner. Been waiting for the replacement parts, got in yesterday to Cliff's and rebuilt last evening
    Chumba went off to CHUMBA yesterday as well, seized up eccentric BB so now the SS in in the crapper, but I believe they will take care of me too.
    My road bike gets no respect, but it is still running along, and the unicycles ... the simplest, best running wheel I have.
    I may have to ditch the 2 wheel riding forever and become the next Chris Holmes ... but more likely, die trying
    Craig, Durango CO

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    You can barrow my Pugsley from Hermosa.
    Maybe you'll have better luck than me getting hold of that fine whip, He won't let me have it back. Something about needing a marker in the garage to keep from ramming his Prius into the wall.
    -Sage Francis

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Dont worry,it wont be long till he breaks yet ANOTHER Ventana....
    Maybe you should buy a 3RD bike for a back up to your back up

mtbr member
    Colorado Trail was an excellent suggestion! Thanks again guys.

mtbr member

High Quality Suffering

Lots of suffering with over 2.5K' gain on Monday to 12,600' and 4.2K' on Tuesday to 13,000'
    While no single track was ridden, the scenery was fantastic and the weather cooperated better than could be expected.
    It's all good!
    Craig, Durango CO