mtbr member
    Aug 2013

All MTB ski resorts close doors weekdays after 9/2 ?

I will be visiting Colorado September 2nd for ten days and want to ride some downhill in a ski resort. I now see I'm lucky the resorts still allow biking in September, but only on the weekends which might get busy.

Are there any resorts which still have week day riding after 9/2?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Telluride will still be open. Its kind of a unique situation in which the Gondola is public transportation and services the bike park. Gondola should be open until late October, closing for a few weeks before Thanksgiving.

Bike park is free but its still kinda in its fledgling stages. To be fair, I haven't ridden in the park in a couple years, but there was only maybe 4 or 5 trails, probably less than the pay resorts. Can't complain for free, but if your looking for a week of lift serviced riding you may be looking for new trails after a couple days.

Plenty of uphill to keep anyone happy though...
    Last edited by Surly29; 08-12-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: can't believe I said anyone could get bored while riding their bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Plenty of time on weekends to ride, plus the trails are open, just the lifts don't run on weekdays. If you need help with rides that involve big DH without uphill, I'm sure someone one this site knows some great trails that are shuttle friendly to get you on a trail. Colorado's a big state, perhaps it may be good to share where you are going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Colorado's a big state, perhaps it may be good to share where you are going.
    I'm still trying to figure that out sbsbiker. I'm leaning toward crested butte but my biggest issue will be finding a dispersed camp spot for a 24' toyhauler.

I used to ride like a demon. Ski boarded Colorado in 78 on a sims Flying Yellow Banana. But Iv blowin out my elbow and shoulder since then and having gravity on our side's will help. Im 48 and the wife is with me this time.

Thanks for the tip Surly. Know of any gravel roads in Telluride area where I could camp? I have one drz400s with me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    Thanks for the tip Surly. Know of any gravel roads in Telluride area where I could camp? I have one drz400s with me.
    Your welcome. I have a 2000 drz400s myself.

I would tell you to go up Mill Creek Road to the first switchback, there's a few USFS primative camp sites, but a 24' trailer could make that difficult (maybe not). I like the top of Last Dollar Road, where the sign for end winter maintenance is. Call that the million dollar campsite (views are awesome).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly29 View Post
    Your welcome. I have a 2000 drz400s myself.

I would tell you to go up Mill Creek Road to the first switchback, there's a few USFS primative camp sites, but a 24' trailer could make that difficult (maybe not). I like the top of Last Dollar Road, where the sign for end winter maintenance is. Call that the million dollar campsite (views are awesome).
    Super.. Thanks Surly. I can take the DRZ to scout it out first where ever we decide to go.

I told the wife just last night I wanted to take her mountain biking on a ski resort.. Her eyes got big and she reminded me of the time I brushed off the bear warning sign in yellow stone.

Which town do you enjoy more? Crested butte or Telluride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tough call. I lived in CB for a few years in the early 90's. Can't go wrong with either place, IMO.

CB has better riding, but CB has better riding than 99% of the country and the riding in Tride is very good.

I think I might actually prefer Tride for its slightly warmer temps and because its closer to Utah and the desert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The forecast is warmer up in CB. interesting

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rerod View Post
    The forecast is warmer up in CB. interesting
    The forecast for early September?

Throw that forecast away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The forecast for early September?

Throw that forecast away.
    No.. Just this coming week

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can get a 24' Trailer down the Slate River Road outside CB for some good camping. I'd suggest going there for the weekend and coming here mid week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Trestle is still expected to be open daily 9/3-9/22 10am-5pm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO Alex View Post
    Trestle is still expected to be open daily 9/3-9/22 10am-5pm.
    They sure are.. thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Its getting close to my departure date and like I figured.. My wife bailed.. see ya hun, wouldn't wana be ya

I'm trying to decide on a area which offers three things.. Resort lift mountain biking.. Nice dirt bike roads.. And some class I & II river kayaking. No more than class II since I have a open tandem loon 160 t

Crested butte has the taylor river around Almont, down to gunnison and Telluride (free gondola) has the san miguel.

I guess the best thing to do would be call rafting outfitters in both areas and find out the conditions. Im not sure if my tandem is to long to go down the san miguel. Or if there's enough water even..