hikebike-bagpeak

accessing CDT/The Wyoming Trail

What is the best access point to get to the CDT/Wyoming Trail in Routt NF up by Columbine/Hahns Peak? Some options I had considered were Whiskey Creek TR, Manzanares or Hare?

Yesterday I took FSR550 from Battle Pass down to the CDT south of Hog Park Reservoir, and the trail on the WY sid appeared faint and blocked every 10-30 feet by a fallen tree, so I continued to Hahns Peak Village via 550, my scheduled destination for layover that day. I ended up doing an out-n-back while I decided not to camp overnite. I was going to loop it and come down of the WY trail via Manzanares or Hare, however, the trail conditions mentioned previously changed that. Plus, didn't think I 'd have the energy to ride all the way back to 70 if I went up to the CDT/WY trail on the CO side after already putting in 51 miles.

Suggestions for the next run anyone?
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Last year I hopped on the CDT at Seedhouse campground. I rode it north for only about 4 or 5 miles, then took a dirt road for a while to Scott's Run #1177 trail which ran from the north east to the south west. This dumped me out on the dirt road which took me back to the campground. You can extend the ride by taking trail #1188 to the right before you get dumped out on the dirt road. I've never taken it, so I don't know what it's like. It was a really nice ride and it was about 15-20 miles I think. There is a cool, technical chasm to ride through above the creek on Scotts run.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Sounds like you had a fun trip planned fattire, I'd like to join you for your next shot. I have never been to Hog park res. and I dont know how the CDT is North of there so I'd love to check that area out.

I can definitely help you with advice regarding the Colorado half of your ride. Since you are riding 550 road, Whiskey creek trail would be a really easy way to access the CDT.
    If you can find the trailhead off of 550 road then I'd recommend heading East on Whiskey creek tr. It has a nice section of singletrack that follows a creek and it hasn't been ruined by ATV's.
    It might also be possible to access the CDT by riding past hog park res. on FR80? and get onto the east side of whiskey creek tr. Or there is also an old jeep road that starts by the West fork trailhead and goes up to the CDT, but I have never been off the east side of the divide from that road (FR499) so I dont know what shape its in.

As for the Wyoming trail (1101), its all open to ATV's and is in pretty bad shape for mountain biking, luckily there are some pretty sweet views that make the ride well worth your time.
    I think that the local motorcycle club has been out clearing trees off of all the main trails like the CDT, manz, hare, whiskey, etc. so you shouldnt have many trees to climb over.

Since you are planning on having a layover in COLO, I'd go to Clark instead of H.P.V. This way you are able to ride the CDT much farther south and you will get to ride the sweet singletrack trails that rippling was talking about in his post. There is also a nice paved road to take you back to FR550, if you are feeling a little tired on day 2.

FYI, Manzanares and Hare trails are both old ATV trails that are rutted out and rocky. If I had to climb up one of them, I'd choose the Hare trail over Manz.

View from the CDT at the top of Manz.

Top of the Hare trail.

South of the Hare trail along 1101.

My suggestions- 1101 south to Diamond Park TH, Scotts run trail 1177, Coulton creek or Pearl lake trail, Layover in Clark, FR550 home.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

hikebike-bagpeak
    Cool pics Markolntheboat. Thanx for the advice. I am going to attempt to get up there again this weekend (Sat.?). I was currently looking at driving up to FR80 and getting on or near the WY trail from there via Whiskey Creek, and doing a loop going down Hare and coming back around Hog Park Res. via 469/499. Hopefully I have the energy, while I will first tackle Arapahoe Ridge from the eastside to hwy4 do a loop.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Have a great time on Arapaho ridge! and good luck with the east side of whiskey creek tr. I cant wait to hear what conditions are like. fr499 is an easy way to get to the divide from Big red park.
    I'm headed out this morning to do a week long death march on 1144 out in the Bears Ears range. If I can walk when I get back I'll think about tracking you down this weekend.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

hikebike-bagpeak

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    Have a great time on Arapaho ridge! and good luck with the east side of whiskey creek tr. I cant wait to hear what conditions are like. fr499 is an easy way to get to the divide from Big red park.
    I'm headed out this morning to do a week long death march on 1144 out in the Bears Ears range. If I can walk when I get back I'll think about tracking you down this weekend.
    Hope the ride was good. I'm starting for the ridge early Thur a.m., and if I can make one-day loop via Cty 11 or out-n-back of it from basically Rand to hwy 4/Chimney Rock. I'll head back up to Hahns Peak/Bears Ear on Fri. or Sat. Maybe I'll see ya.
    Last edited by fattirefreak; 07-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.