Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Dirtmistress
    Reputation: dirtmistress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    480

    4th Of July Vacation Ideas.

    Last time I was in Colorado was in 1999. It was a 3 week road trip and it was really fun. I remember really digging Winter Park, Crested Butte and Monarch Crest trail. Beginning June 29th, I have 10 days, 2 of those are driving days, and I'd like to know if you think the trails will be snow free and clear of blow down by that time.
    Also, I know Winter Park has a world class bike park but does it have high alpine trails like Crested Butte? I'm torn between the two areas.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gunnirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    308
    Tough choice. Seems just about everything is snow-free in CB now, Monarch still has some snow. WP is really fun, tipperary creek is a good CC ride. CB's bike park has come a long ways. Personally I would choose CB, but I'm biased.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    371
    not that familiar with WP area rides, but what does WP have that CB doesn't besides the variety of lift accessed stuff?

    CB is also close to the crest, gunny trails, paonia trails and grand junction/fruita...kinda hard to beat, but yea im biased too.

  4. #4
    Dirtmistress
    Reputation: dirtmistress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    480
    Winter Park has time share condos. I'm not sure of the accomodations in Crested Butte. Do you guys know what kind of places CB has to stay in? Cabins? Condos? Campgrounds? Motels? 1999 was a long time ago!
    Do you think the first week of July is a good time to come as far as trail conditions? What about flowers? Will they be out in abundance?
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    Winter Park has time share condos. I'm not sure of the accomodations in Crested Butte. Do you guys know what kind of places CB has to stay in? Cabins? Condos? Campgrounds? Motels? 1999 was a long time ago!
    Do you think the first week of July is a good time to come as far as trail conditions? What about flowers? Will they be out in abundance?
    no shortage of short term rentals (condos/houses) in CB on VBRO. quite a few B&B in the town itself, all the big hotels are up on the mountain next to the ski area. A more affordable option is the hostel in town. Lots of free camping up gothic/wash gulch/slate river rd. and kebler pass. There is also camping up cement creek near CB south. Everything is pretty much dry here in CB except for 403 which will be dry in another couple weeks. The wildflowers are just starting to come out and should be way better in 2-3 weeks, the skunk cabbage might be shoulder/head high by then. One thing we do need is rain to help the trails out, it's been dry for weeks.

  6. #6
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,700
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    Tough choice. Seems just about everything is snow-free in CB now, Monarch still has some snow. WP is really fun, tipperary creek is a good CC ride. CB's bike park has come a long ways. Personally I would choose CB, but I'm biased.
    I agree with gunni.

    IMO unless the OP committed to gravity riding a BUNCH while on their trip... they should pick CB. It's just... better.

    And around the 4th of July WP will be a complete and utter clusterfvck due to Front Range crowds.

  7. #7
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,293

    yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    ... What about flowers? Will they be out in abundance?
    Depending on how the weather and moisture is in a given year, the wildflower peak will be in early july to early august. This year it's an early one. You should hit pretty close to the apex of beautiful-ness.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    295
    Everywhere CO is a clusterhump around the 4th... so I'd pick CB.. a lot of epic options if you home base out of there....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    287
    I'd do both Durango and Crested butte. In Durango do molas pass to engineer mtn and down. Hermosa creekis another fun ride but I'd suggest doing an out n back starting from the bottom? You've been to CB but here are some of my favorite rides just in case
    Crested Butte, CO

    And on the way over from cb to Durango or vice versa,stop in grand junction and do ribbon trail

    Ribbon Trail-Lunch Loops
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

  10. #10
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    I'd do both Durango and Crested butte. In Durango do molas pass to engineer mtn and down. Hermosa creekis another fun ride but I'd suggest doing an out n back starting from the bottom? You've been to CB but here are some of my favorite rides just in case
    Crested Butte, CO

    And on the way over from cb to Durango or vice versa,stop in grand junction and do ribbon trail

    Ribbon Trail-Lunch Loops
    That's quite the detour. Sweet trail tho!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    67
    Breckenridge has bike week over 4th of July. Lots of demos and lots of people biking and enjoying the trails. Maybe worth checking out.

  12. #12
    Dirtmistress
    Reputation: dirtmistress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    480
    Thanks everyone. I spent a week in Breck a few years ago and have gone to Durango a number of times. The only detour we plan on doing is Thunder mountain on the way there. A couple buddies have not done that trail.
    Thanks for the info. on home rentals. Never heard of it, now I have. Looks promising.
    The other thing I'd like to request, if we go, maybe a ride with a local or ten? We are good and experienced riders. Although the elevation may really do a number on us. Any more info. would be greatly appreciated!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

  13. #13
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    The only detour we plan on doing is Thunder mountain on the way there.!
    Are you talking about Thunder Mt in UT or os there one in CO I am unaware of?

  14. #14
    Dirtmistress
    Reputation: dirtmistress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    480
    Utah. It's unreal.
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

  15. #15
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress View Post
    Utah. It's unreal.
    I was confused as Thunder Mountain is nowhere neat Breck/Dgo. I see you are coming from the west. That makes sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •