mtbr member
    Dec 2008

2nd bike....yeti vs. maverick for western slope bike...

So here's the Dilemma....I've got a 29er SingleSpeed with a rigid fork and a Fox 100mm fork for when I need it. I use it for my main trail bike out here in Chaffee county, CO. lately I have been spending a lot of time up on the Crest drainage's and other areas that are kicking my ass with a rigid SS, or even a little bit of travel. Greens Creek, Vitamin B, etc...

I am thinking about getting a bike to use just for the stuff that involves going down hill fast, and riding the trail out to get to the downhill. Maybe some life access.

What do you think abut the Yeti 575 vs. ASR 7 vs. Maverick ML8. Considering that I do not really need a trail bike, I just want to bomb stuff. Most of the stuff that I want to ride down involves riding there. Canyon Creek and Tomichi pass are a good example for the riding that I am going to do with this bike. Climb a lot, and then go down fast...

If anyone lives or rides on the western slope, and has ridden these bikes I would love to get some beta. I plan on making a decision pretty soon.

thanks for the help....

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I haven't ridden either but I know guys who ride and love both bikes. If I wasn't on a 5spot I believe I'd be on a 575. Send shoulderfu a pm if he doesn't chime in here. He's got mucho experience with the maverick ml8 as well as the omatic.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I took the ml8 down greens creek on the crest last week. That thing is plush. I've never even come close to cleaning a trail like that before on my 100mm ss, and with the ML8 it was not a matter of making the moves, but how fast can you handle it. I might as well had been on a KTM 300. A friend got a good photo of my brother on his ml8 demo.He's hooked on big travel trail bikes now too.
    I'm going to try the 575 on the same deal this weekend. They do not have any ASR-7demos so I'd love to hear a report on how that thing rides uphill, and back down.
    Thanks for the info......
    Attached Images Attached Images

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet
    Considering that I do not really need a trail bike, I just want to bomb stuff.
    If that's the case, why are you looking at all these spindly bikes? Just get a Bottle Rocket and be done with it.

OTB
    bikma cost more thn carma
    I have an Ml8 and love it...but repair and replacements are hard cuz its all specialized...demo'd a yeti 575 and freakin LOVED it. Now have a santa cruz Nomad and tho i love it wished i'd gone with the Yeti...
    Be still and know.....

mtbr member
    SantaCruz Blur LT2, with a Lyric.. Or a Transition Covert.. Real bikes

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    My ml8 feels pretty damn real to me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    My ml8 feels pretty damn real to me...
    I know, just talkin some shiz.. Those bikes decend pretty darn good...

Hairshirt Rider
    The ASR 7 I demoed descended extremely well and pedaled/climbed okay with the platform on and an adjustable fork. It would be a hoot on those trails. It's not on your list, but the bike that surprised me was the Slayer. I hadn't really given it any thought when I ended up on one, but it climbed better, was easier to pedal and didn't seem to give up anything on the descent.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    I kinda like my ML8......
    Pm me if you are looking,I can hook you up w/a great deal thru a buddy of mine.The 09's are on sale in ano (like mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Now your photo is LEGIT.

Oh, by the way, did you get Lance to autograph your boobies?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Sage Francis

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Oh, by the way, did you get Lance to autograph your boobies?[/QUOTE]

That fvcker didnt even have the decency to show up to the racer meeting.I felt bad for all the kids wearing go lance shirts who were hoping for a autograph/or at least a glimpse of him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Think I'm going with the ML8. Rode the 575 and liked the stiffness on DUC32 better. 24mil thru axle is no joke. asr 7 costs more than the ML8's on sale.

sick photo by the way. where is that?

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    That fvcker didnt even have the decency to show up to the racer meeting.I felt bad for all the kids wearing go lance shirts who were hoping for a autograph/or at least a glimpse of him.
    So Lance is just like Ramses from "Nacho Libre"

" I used to really like Ramses. I wanted to become him! But it turns out, he's a real douche" - Nacho

If you haven't seen Nacho Libre this won't make sense. If you have then you'll agree that the comparrison is on point.

Thread Hijack = over
    -Sage Francis

OTB
    bikma cost more thn carma
    you should get a cut fu.....
    Be still and know.....

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Think I'm going with the ML8. Rode the 575 and liked the stiffness on DUC32 better. 24mil thru axle is no joke. asr 7 costs more than the ML8's on sale.
    Seems a tad bit silly to discount the whole bike because of that. Especially since I bet the 575 you rode had a 32 on it as not many places put 160mm forks on their rental bikes. But the 575 is designed to work with a 160mm fork, handles amazingly, and I doubt that you are going to find much flex in a Lyrik or 36 with a 20mm axle...
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yea, or just put the DUC32 / DHX on the Yeti.Would be sick. I thought of that too. $$$$.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Didn't know you could get that fork separately. Well in that case looks like your set

Anyways, I've never ridden the Maverick, though from the reviews I have read it sounds like it climbs amazingly but definitely gives up a bit on fast, hard, high-speed hits.

I love my 575. I'm selling my Sunday because I just don't find myself riding it much anymore. I've never ridden your trails, so I don't really know what you are going to be riding, but I've ridden everything from Moab to Keystone DH runs to secret freeride trails with 7-10 ft drops on it. With a 160mm fork it just soaks up everything but is still light, flickable, and ready to launch off of everything.

The ASR-7 is (from everything I have heard), very similar to the 575... a bit heavier, a bit more travel in the rear. Probably better if you are a bit heavier and want to hit the big stuff. Honestly though unless you do weigh 200 or so... they 575 and 7 both run a 160mm fork... I've never really been wanting for rear wheel travel on the 575... unless you want to try to run a Totem or something on the 7.

In any case, either of the Yeti's seem like a better choice for what you want to be doing then the ML8.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com