Flaccid Member

29'er tires for Durango

Looking for the locals insight on tires for my 31 pound Niner RIP if I go to Durango to ride for a few days, plus maybe some Monarch Crest. Bike is set up with tubes, on Rhynolite rims, for Lite AM. I weigh about 235-240 wet.
    Looking to do 3 days of riding while there, hear Engineer is one that will be quite memorable, need 3 or 4 other ideas for trails/passes/rides. 2.5 to 4 hours would be great. Not afraid to climb, but being a flatlander at 1000 feet, don't know how long it will take to acclimate and get some decent lung capacity at that kind of elevation?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Looking for the locals insight on tires for my 31 pound Niner RIP if I go to Durango to ride for a few days, plus maybe some Monarch Crest. Bike is set up with tubes, on Rhynolite rims, for Lite AM. I weigh about 235-240 wet.
    Looking to do 3 days of riding while there, hear Engineer is one that will be quite memorable, need 3 or 4 other ideas for trails/passes/rides. 2.5 to 4 hours would be great. Not afraid to climb, but being a flatlander at 1000 feet, don't know how long it will take to acclimate and get some decent lung capacity at that kind of elevation?

Thanks.
    I ride Racing Ralph 2.4's and 2.25's x 29 here in Durango. Good for the dry and they shed mud really well.

Flaccid Member
    Those might be a little thin walled for all the rocks and being a Clyde. I'd like to have a fat free, as well as flat free tire for CO, more emphasis on flat free. Probably the last thing I want to work on is booting a tire with a slice, and patching a tube, to get out of the mountains or a pass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Currently, I ride the RRs, too. The 2.4/2.25 combo set up tubeless works really well on Durango's trails. I'm not a clyde, but have sliced just one sidewall (non-catastrophically at Phil's World) with this setup.

Previously, I was happy with a Weirwolf on front and a Geax Saguaro on the rear. Similar performance, but heavier and with sturdier sidewalls.

Flaccid Member
    How do the new Racing Ralph 2.25 x 29 with Snakeskin protection work this season? Anyone running those yet?

Flaccid Member
    The RR's arrived. Will install before I hit the Big D.