mtbr member
    Mar 2006

1X10 hardtail bike for Fruita?

The end of April I will be doing a trip to Fruita with a gang. We live in Houston and for sure 1X10 hardtail is optimal here. Would this bike be appropriate for Fruita or is a 3X10 fully required? I've done porcupine rim in Moab and feel a fully is definitely optimal there so if you compare Fruita technically to Moab there won't be any confusion for me. Thanks!
    Last edited by babylou; 01-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Depends somewhat on preference and how aggressive you like to ride.

I've ridden Fruita on a rigid SS 26er, an 6 inch "AM" 26er and a hardtail 29er (Even saw a guy on Big Hit out there once) Each was a blast, but I think I had the most fun/flowy time on the hardtail 29er, 2x10.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Tigers love pepper...
    Anything at 18rd (north Fruita desert) is just fine on a hardtail (I love riding my rigid out there). While you can certainly ride a hardtail on most trails around here it might not be "ideal" depending what types of trails you want to explore at the Lunch Loops or Loma. But you will certainly see many more hard tails at each area and even a fair amount of single speeds.

While there are plenty of techy trails around I wouldn't expect the equivelant of Porcupine.

Bring the hard tail. Ride the heck out of it and if needed he could always rent a full squish for a day of tech fun.

I ride 2x9 on both my current bikes. Even I could get away with 1x10 and I'm fat. My bike of choice here is a Salsa Spearfish set up stiff! About the only time I get my 6" bike down anymore is for the occasional shuttle of The Ribbon, and maybe riding Moore Fun once a year.

When I got my buddy into riding two seasons ago he learned on a 2x10 hard tail 29er. I took him on pretty much every trail around here as he improved (vastly quicker than I ever did) and he never complained about the hard tail. The only trails In the area I didn't take him on were Moore Fun, Free Lunch, Pucker up and Mack Ridge. He has now upgraded to a Tallboy.
    Last edited by cobi; 01-09-2013 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    He has now upgraded to a Tallboy.
    That's an upgrade for sure!! Loved riding my TB out in Fruita so much that I had to go out and buy the Tallboy LTc. You can't go wrong on a TB in Fruita no matter where you're riding.

I'm nowhere near as educated about the Fruita trails as locals posting above me but like anywhere else, he can get by on a 1x10 if he's a strong rider. I've seen it all out there. Me, I need that 2x10 to get along on those long, drawn out climbs. I own a Air ( hardtail as my "back-up" bike. To each their own but I can't think of a single scenarion where I would rather ride the Air9 than the TB(s).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not local either, but have been down there a couple times with different bikes, including a hardtail once. I had the 2 gears up front, but everything was fun on the HT. I didn't find it held me back on any of the trails. I'd say bring it!

mtbr member
    I've been out there with a SS and a full suspension geared bike and that terrain is great on a SS. I wouldn't miss any extra gears.
    '11 Trek Superfly 29er SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the responses guys. I watched some videos of the trails and the rides looked pretty benign to me but I have a feeling the videos tend to minimize the variations in terrain. I also compared the trail difficulty ratings on this site to the trails in Houston and Austin. They have similar ratings.

Something that gives me pause is OTE Sports in Grand Junction has a wide selection of rental bikes and ALL OF THEM are fully's and to boot they are all in the 145 mm travel range with double and triple cranks.

So I'm still on the fence

mtbr member
    There is that obstacle on Horse Thief and Moore Fun is pretty technical, but other than that...it is mostly fast and flowy stuff. Some trails you might be faster on a FS bike, but other than the above mentioned, mostly just as fast or faster on a hard tail.

I've only ridden the Kokopelli and 18 Rd areas though.
    '11 Trek Superfly 29er SS

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you're planning on riding *all* of the Grand Valley areas, you will likely find yourself happier on a 3x10 full sus.

That said - a 1x10 HT will work just fine. It'll just be a bit more rough...

Tigers love pepper...
    You're worrying too much. HT 1x10 will be fine for 85% of the trails here. If you want to ride real technical stuff rent a FS, if not the HT will be more than adequate. There isn't a crazy amount of climbing here, I don't think the 1X10 will hold him back too much (depending on gearing I suppose).

Definate FS rides:
    Free lunch/pucker up - MTB Descending Free Lunch & Puckerup in Grand Junction, CO 4/5/2011 - YouTube
    Moore Fun - Fruita: Moore Fun - YouTube
    Mack Ridge/Troy built - Fruita: Mack Ridge-Troy Built-Horsethief Bench - YouTube
    Eagle's Wing/Tail - Eagle's Wing - YouTube

Better on FS rides (but totally doable on a HT):
    Holy Cross - Holy Cross in Late October - YouTube
    Gunny Loop - Gunny Loop - YouTube
    Ribbon - The Ribbon ; Grand Junction, Colorado - YouTube
    Butterknife - Butterknife 12042011 - YouTube
    Horsethief Bench - Horsethief Bench Trail - Fruita Mountain Biking, Colorado - YouTube
    Last edited by cobi; 01-19-2013 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cobi thanks for the detailed response.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well I did most of 18 Road and Kokkopelli on my 1X10 Hardtail. My skill level is not up to the hard stuff like Moore Fun or the crazy ass drop into Horsethief Bench (can anybody do it?) so the hardtail was no problem. I sure wish I had a 1X11 though; could've used one lower gear.

Tigers love pepper...
    Yes, Horsethief entrance has been done many time by many people. Some on hardtails! Once you've seen it a few times you figure out there's really only about 2 tricky spots toward the bottom.

We can all use one lower gear sometimes. I have a granny and I still find myself trying to downshift some days.

Sounds like you had fun