Paste eater

18rd camping Saturday night

I'm headed to Fruita this weekend but won't arrive at 18rd until late afternoon Saturday. Are we going to be able to find a camp spot?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Could be hit or miss. Likely will be tough. Also, I was about to start a thread about camping as well, but saw this first? Can anyone suggest a campsite other than 18 rd in the area, near water? I've always camped at 18 rd and would like to go somewhere new. It looks like 12 rd and 12.5 rd dead end near the Colorado south of i70. Does anyone know if you can camp there? Primitive is fine with me

2006 Yeti AS-X
    James Robb State Park in Fruita is right next to the Colorado River and I have camped there the past 3 years and have found it to be an awesome place to camp.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you take that right on the dirt road right before the parking area you'll always find a spot in the free BLM land. Why pay $10 when you can camp for free and still be right by the trails and have the trail head pit toilets nearby as well.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    If you take that right on the dirt road right before the parking area you'll always find a spot in the free BLM land. Why pay $10 when you can camp for free and still be right by the trails and have the trail head pit toilets nearby as well.
    The lower parking area right? As in the first one you come to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    The lower parking area right? As in the first one you come to.
    yep, right before the lower parking area. Spots are all along the dirt road. It gets "crowded", but there are always places to park/set up.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fruit...+Colorado&z=18

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My group decided we are gonna try and ride/camp 18 rd Friday night, ride Marys loop etc. Saturday and try and camp in GJ or nearby the lunch loops Saturday night. Can anyone suggest a good campsite near the lunch loops trailhead? Haven't ridden there before

Tigers love pepper...
    No real camping "near" lunch loops. Not primitive anyway. Closest camping is James M Robb in Fruita, the monument, then you're looking at KOAs and such. I don't even think you can camp up on Little Park road until Glade Park, at least not legally.

Jwind have you considered Rabbit Valley? Although I'm confident you can probably squeeze into the overflow at 18rd.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    People camp up Coal Gulch Rd. It's not near water but only pay sites are going to have that.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post

Jwind have you considered Rabbit Valley? Although I'm confident you can probably squeeze into the overflow at 18rd.
    Ya, RV is just sort of far outta town.

On another note, can I get a weather round up from a local? I don't mind a bit of rain but if we are going to be washed out Sat-sun-mon or worse, so wet the trails are no-go, i'd rather not drive over from the front range.