mtbr member
    Apr 2004

18 Road trails cell coverage

so, after months of months of planning and scheming to get a way to Fruita I find I have to be tethered to my cell phone if I'm gonna go. Not on it, but waiting for a call - so don't worry, i won't be that guy on the trail unless the call comes in, of course.

What's the cell coverage like in Fruita? Is it reasonable to think I can actually be able to receive a call on most of the sections on 18 Road?

thanks

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Depends on your carrier. Some are better than others. But since it is close to I70, you should hopefully get a little signal. I have Verizon and at least at the trailhead I had coverage.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks

Tigers love pepper...
    Not usually looking at my phone but I know I've used at&t out there numerous times. Verizon is usually better around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Verizon is good

We live a few hours away and are there often in the shoulder seasons. We are spending a week there soon camping on 18Rd and my wife will be working with her I-Phone hotspot on so she can connect her laptop.
    Not a problem
    Randy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've used various phone/ providers from the campsites on 18 rd without problems. You might hit a few dead zones on the trails as they weave in & around hillsides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    there is one dead spot on the actual road between the pavement and the main parking lot. there may be some dead spots here and there, but overall there is decent coverage. don't worry, you can still strava and tweet while you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    how about on other area trails? Kokopelli?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    same...cell coverage is pretty good, one or two small dead spots, overall you have coverage

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hopefully you (or anyone else) don't have T-Mobile. Their service is intermittent everywhere in this area outside of Grand Junction itself, and even GJ has some dead spots--unbelieveably poor service. Verizon has the best coverage and fewest dead spots.