mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Is 18 Road Trail Head safe to park at?

Is the 18 Road Trail trailhead just north of Fruita (ext 19) a safe place to park? Have there been any issues with cars getting broken into or anything like that?

I think there are two trailheads for this system - one on the south side and one on the north. I'm referring to this trail head Stay The Trail Colorado - View Trail System - North Fruita Desert.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No overnight parking and I've never heard of cars getting broken into, but perhaps someone who lives in Fruita could give you more info.

The directions in that link are good, the main parking lot is just south of the trails (just have to find 18 road, parking is a couple miles past the end of pavement). There is a smaller parking area to the north, just above the camp sites, but I think that's more for shuttles. I prefer parking at the main lot and riding up Prime Cut. It's pretty easy to get in at least two loops in a day without shuttling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Awesome! Thanks.

Are there usually cars at the trailhead or is it fairly desolate?

I'm planning to stay in Grand Junction. What is the city of Fruita like? Rundown or does it seem like a decent place? I've never been to either city.

A lot of my questions come from evaluating a doing a ride in Gallup , NM. After lots of reading, I did find out that the popular trailhead on the north side of town does have problems, like cars getting broken into. Also, the city is pretty rundown and poor. That's all something I'd rather avoid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh, there will be plenty of cars at the TH. This time of year the locals are getting off the trails by 10am (I live 2.5 hours south).

Junction is safe. I have been told to stay out of Clifton. I heard about some rafters having their cars broken into at the Loma put in for Horsethief-Ruby Canyons a couple years ago. This is very close to the Loma Kokopelli TH, but again as long as your not leaving the car overnight you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, Junction isn't all about Fruita. Not that 18Rd isn't super fun, just that I like the other areas better. Check out Kokopelli Trails and the Lunch Loops for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks on the trail tips. I'm looking for something that isn't crazy technical or lots of climbing like Zippity. Is there anything around Junction that is fast and flowy?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Never had any issues with parking in the 3 main parking lots in the area - 18 Road, Lunch Loops, and Kokepelli. Been there 4 times so far - even had my Yeti locked on the back while I was riding the other bike and no one bothered it.

Most mountain bikers respect others property - the one quality most of us share is that we would not want to do to others (steal their stuff) as we would want not done to ourselves (someone stealing our stuff).

I wouldn't worry too much about having your car broken into - just remember not to leave anything valuable like your wallet, keys, etc.. in your car. The typical protect yourself stuff.

Fast and flowy at 18 Road - PBR and Kessel Run would be the two fast and flowy without lots of climbing. Chutes is a great ride as well but you do have some climbing at the start of it. Joes Ridge is pretty fun and the climbing is mild.

Lunch Loops are the main trail in GJ. Pretty fun system which tends to have more trails for intermediate and up but beginners can have fun there as well. Just download the map and pick the trails that match your skill level and you will do fine.

Fruita is a great town and I stay there every time I go there. Do you plan to camp or stay in a hotel? La Quinta is an excellent hotel and the breakfast is pretty sweet for free and the hot tub is nice after a long day of riding. For camping, the campground in Fruita (James Robb) is a pretty clean and excellent campground - electric and water hookup sites available and laundry and shower facilities on site (quarter operated).

Downtown Fruita is nice to walk through and visit - two nice bike shops in town.

You will have a great time.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    PS - When do you plan to be there? If you are there the same time I am, you are free to join us for rides and such.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    18 rd parking lot is quite safe. Fruita is far from rundown.

and just so you know, that stay the trail page is chock full of wrong information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Never had any problems at any of the 18 rd. or Fruita, or Junction trail heads. I lve there and ride these trails alot, so plenty of exposure so to speak.

Tigers love pepper...
    Trailheads are safe and plenty of people around. I've left bikes in the back of my truck and (unintentionally) left doors unlocked etc.. Don't worry about it. Non issue. Park at the bottom lot and ride up. The upper lot is not really a parking lot per se.

2 bikes were stolen out of a campsite at 18rd earlier this year. First time I've ever heard of that happening. Most likely another camper with a crime of opportunity.

If you want fast and flowy 18rd will be perfect for you. If you want more challenge check out Loma or GJ.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sometimes there isn't anybody around.

Tigers love pepper...
    And yet you still aren't allowed to ride up Kessels or down Prime Cut!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    And yet you still aren't allowed to ride up Kessels or down Prime Cut!
    That day I could have done whatever I pleased...

mtbr member
    I parked my motor home at 18 road free camping area and didn't have any problems.
    I need to learn more about other trails next time I return, maybe late fall early winter I
    wonder what the weather is like at this time of year?
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    I parked my motor home at 18 road free camping area and didn't have any problems.
    I need to learn more about other trails next time I return, maybe late fall early winter I
    wonder what the weather is like at this time of year?
    Total crapshoot. Perfect... snowy.... could be anything.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I rode down Prime Cut the other day, and up Zip tonight. Boom.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Sometimes there isn't anybody around.

2 1/2 weeks from now......my carcass will be there!

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I rode down Prime Cut the other day, and up Zip tonight. Boom.
    Sinner!!