inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

1 week to ride CO

Hey, I was thinking of visiting a friend in Lander, WY and figuring out where the riding is around there. On the way, I figured I should see a little bit of Colorado. AZ and NM seem a little hot to stick around this time of the year, but I'll still come in from the south end-I live in California.

I was told I'd love the riding around Durango and that Fruita is great for general technical riding. I heard Winter Park and Vail are great, but some lists would be great. I don't know the state.

I currently have a 36x36-12 1x10 setup. I will also bring a 32t chainring. My bike is a Norco Range, 6 inch travel bike. Jumps and stuff are cool, but I'm not into the really insane stuff.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Hey, I was thinking of visiting a friend in Lander, WY and figuring out where the riding is around there. On the way, I figured I should see a little bit of Colorado. AZ and NM seem a little hot to stick around this time of the year, but I'll still come in from the south end-I live in California.

I was told I'd love the riding around Durango and that Fruita is great for general technical riding. I heard Winter Park and Vail are great, but some lists would be great. I don't know the state.

I currently have a 36x36-12 1x10 setup. I will also bring a 32t chainring. My bike is a Norco Range, 6 inch travel bike. Jumps and stuff are cool, but I'm not into the really insane stuff.
    Fruita is hot hot desert riding. Great place, but right now high country riding is open. Fruita is where Coloradans go in Spring and Fall (and even winter sometimes).

I'd recommend trying to enjoy a few places and maximize the riding time you get from your week rather than bouncing around in an attempt to ride everyplace in the CO Mountains that's good.

Durango is among my favorite of all summer riding destinations. There is a ton there. More than a week's worth of riding by itself. North from there to Gunnison via 550 and US 50 and then into Crested Butte. You could easily ride there for a week or nearly so. Then Jack's Cabin Cut-off through Taylor Park over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista and north through Leadville to Summit County (Breckenridge-Silverthorne-Dillon-Frisco). Again, a week's worth of riding could be found there. Then north to Steamboat Springs. Plenty of riding there.

That gives you four possible outstanding places for riding, and an incredibly beautiful summertime route through Colorado. You could easily spend a month if you wanted to fully explore each of those four mtb destinations.

But really, skip Fruita for this trip. Flagstaff, AZ would be lots more appropriate for July-August, as would Taos, NM. If you are avoiding AZ and NM because of hot, you want to avoid Fruita/Grand Junction for the same reason.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I never know; I could end up staying in one place.
    My initial plan was to ride parts of Oregon that I've already been to on the way to Wyoming, but I don't think I can pass up Colorado. I may do a ride in Flagstaff on the way over as it really is on the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Listen to TomP... between Durango and Crested Butte, you'll have your hands full and you won't be disappointed, especially if it's any time between now and early October.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I never know; I could end up staying in one place...
    If I was going to pick one it would be Durango. CB is amazing, but so is Durango. and I really think there is more in Durango. Just my opinion, but if I could choose one place to spend a week it would be D-Town.

Flagstaff has some amazing riding too, definitely worth a stop-off. Good thai food there too.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

If 3 days, Crested Butte.
    If a week, Durango.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    leaving Durango,

love the trails.

got to ride the new progressive trail on the opening-group ride.
    it was a fun group