Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your Top Five Colorado Rides

What are your Top Five Colorado rides away from Denver? I have ridden Kenosha to Georgia and two longish trails in the Crested Butte area (401 and I forget the other). I have spent several days in the Fraser and Breckenridge areas as well.

I think Monarch Crest would probably count as one though I have only driven past that area; not actually ridden that trail. I hear good things about Vail-Minturn and Keystone Gulch too.

I would like to do some long and scenic rides this year and since I have not lived here very long, I'd like to see what you all consider your top five rides. Of course, it would be great to meet up with a few others as well and have good company during the ride and a couple of cold ones (beer; not dead bodies) after.

mtbr member

Smile

it's hard to narrow it down, but this thread might help w/ your quest...

EDIT:
    one ride that definitely left a smile on my face was the monarch/greene day at RMH06.
    also really enjoy the CT around breck.
    Last edited by gotdirt; 03-02-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, gotdirt. That was a good thread and I just read it again. It sort of went off track after a few posts though. I'll look back through the FR forum history a bit more.

I also have to train pretty hard to get into better shape than I was last year so I can feel strong past 4-5 hours. I think I started petering out significantly as I approached the 4-hour mark last year.

slow
    I haven't ridden everything in CO, but out of the ones I have ridden my top three would be (in no particular order):
    CO trail - Kenosha to Breck
    Monarch Crest
    Marys, Horsetheif, etc

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    crested butte- all that stuff is best in colorado. much better stuff out there than 401... long rides, technical sections and ribbon smooth sections. real singletrack.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    These are some that I do most years. Are they the best? I am not sure as I am still looking, but I find myself keeping coming back to them.

- Reno, Flag, Bear, Deadmans at Crested Butte
    - Searle Pass at Copper Mountain
    - Kenosha, Georgia Pass, Jefferson Creek
    - Soughdough trail system from Camp Dick
    - Monarch Crest

a dad
    Jan 2004

fun thread..

I have been riding colorado for 19 years now... started with about 8 years in the Gunnison valley and the last 10 or so in the front range.. at first i hated the front range riding, but after spending a good amount of time figuring it out.. i love the variety..

my top 5.. (this is gonna be hard).. no particular order

#1 Our famous South St Vrain shuttle (don't let the shuttle fool you..it ends up being a beast).. we start at brainard.. climb up to the top of SSV.. ride that whole thing to the boy scout camp.. climb way up the jeep road..and bomb the other long downhill on the north side of the river that ends up at camp dick.. love that ride..

#2 Our famous Ribbon Shuttle (once again, don't let the shuttle fool you)..
    basically Ribbon, hike a bike, eagles tail or wing/holy cross etc..

#3 Greens and Fooses on monarch..

#4 Big giant Horsetooth loop

#5 Big giant Hartmans loop

honorable mentions.. or just depends on the day.. reno/flag/bear and doctor park..

those are mine for now..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have ridden is that Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman combo (that was the second day at CB). CB was great but I'm going when it's a bit cooler this time. I have not riddin any of the ones you guys are mentioning so this is great. I have so many to check off one by one.

I have heard that the St. Vrain one is a bear but I'll be ready to live through it in a couple of months. My IT Band doesn't bother me anymore on techy trails. I definitely have to do that one. I like riding around the FR so that isn't the issue. I want to check out some of these other trails that people seem to love so much. It's a great way to explore Colorado.

feel the Force
    I love all these suggestions....may I add Dr. Park? Truly awesome. Also Hermosa Creek is fairly stellar as well.

ride
    I always like to hear what folks' favorites are. Here's a few I've really enjoyed (in no particular order)

**Camp Dick/Sourdough area - pretty much anything N of Brainard Lake Rd. There's some huge loops you can do in there, and the riding is really rocky, slow speed and technical.

**Mary's Loop/Kokopelli Area at Fruita. Again, good variety and lots of trails to make for a superb day. Killer views, great singletrack, and prime conditions really early in the season.

**CO trail from Copper to Searle Pass (and the pass beyond, forget the name). This is pretty much a climb to the top type of out and back, but it's got all kinds of variety and climbs thru different eco zones. The return descent is fantastic.

**Crested Butte. It's hard to pinpoint any one trail, but I'm partial to the stuff around the Cement Creek drainage (like the Deadman's/etc loop). There's potential for HUGE loops and the scenery is top shelf post card.

**Winter Park/ Fraser Valley. This is on the list probably because I've ridden there so much in the last 10 years that it feels like home. Great singletrack on the mountain and in the valley. Good camping, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    I love all these suggestions....may I add Dr. Park? Truly awesome. Also Hermosa Creek is fairly stellar as well.
    I second Hermosa Creek, absolutely a great ride, but bring the chain lube, there's a lot of water crossings.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

VooDoo user.
    Anything with sweet singletrack. Colorado has yet to dissapoint. Utah is a close second.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    In no particular order:

Buffalo Creek Loop
    Kenosha to Breckenridge (Colorado Trail)
    Winter Park-King of the Rockies Course
    Prime Cut/Kessel Run
    Indian Creek Loop

Honorable mention outside Colorado goes to:
    Porcupine Rim-Moab, UT
    South Boundary Trail-Taos, NM
    Penmachno-North Wales, UK
    Glentress Black Route-7 Stanes, Scotland
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    On of my fav's that isn't well known is off of Seedhouse road in North Routt county. Coulton creek to Scotts run, up to Diamond park. Down the Wyoming trail and over to the Burn Ridge trail. It's around 25 mi loop and a great pedal. No big or long climbs, all but 2 miles pure colorado singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love this thread already. I'll go further out to ride as many as I can this year. I'll try to make it to Utah as well around Oct but that will have to be a group thing since I have never been there.

mtbr member

Great Thread

Hey Flyer,

You're gonna have a busy year if'n you try all these mentioned. I particularly agree with Monarch Crest, Kenosha Pass, and Crested Butte (Reno/Flag/Dead Man's, Dr. Park)

Here's a few more to wet your whistle...

- Fruita - Moore Fun, Edge Loop
    - Co. Springs - Jones Park, Deadman's Trail/Rampart, Elk Park
    - Vail - Commando Run, Cougar Ridge
    - Copper - Copper Triangle AKA Off-road Triple Bypass (be fit for this one)
    - Eagle - EVERYTHING

I can give you more details on these or others. Enjoy,

E

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr

**CO trail from Copper to Searle Pass (and the pass beyond, forget the name). This is pretty much a climb to the top type of out and back, but it's got all kinds of variety and climbs thru different eco zones. The return descent is fantastic.
    Do yourself a favor next time & ride to Kokomo Pass then descend to Camp Hale over by Tennessee Pass. That descent is KILLER good. Then a bit of Jeep road up Ptarmagin Pass, then Wilder Gulch descent back to the bike path.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Impossible question to answer. The ride I'm on at that moment is the best ride.

I heart the drops
    I havent hit them all so heres a very short list

-Sourdough / camp dick
    -Keystone lift bike access
    -Winter park / frasier
    -Colrado trail
    -Hall ranch for the local pick
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Motion activated
    I'm sure there is tons of stuff I haven't ridden, but my favorite trails are the local front range stuff close to Denver.

Why? Everything else seems flat and slow in comparison to the extended fast, chunky descents we have here. Crowds & heat can be a problem though.

YMMV.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    1) Buffalo Creek
    2) Indian Creek variation that includes some Douglas Ctny open space trails
    3) Agate Creek
    4) CO Trail from Keystone to Breck
    5) Two Elk or Doctor's Park

mtbr member
    Order varies depending on which trail I've ridden most recently:
    * Monarch Crest (w/the semi-secrete route)
    * Chutes and Ladders
    * Wise Mountain
    * Hermosa Creek

And, I'm not unfond of any of the JeffCo trails or Buffalo Creek, but they seem "too common" to consider top five in a state like Colorado. If say, White Ranch was in a state like, oh let's say New Jersey- it would be a IMBA Epic Ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    One that deserves mention and that is close to Denver is Mountain Lion in Golden Gate. Techinical and never crowded.

mtbr member
    +1 for crest trail. also really like the chutes for a quickie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    Order varies depending on which trail I've ridden most recently:
    * Monarch Crest (w/the semi-secrete route)
    * Chutes and Ladders
    * Wise Mountain
    * Hermosa Creek

And, I'm not unfond of any of the JeffCo trails or Buffalo Creek, but they seem "too common" to consider top five in a state like Colorado. If say, White Ranch was in a state like, oh let's say New Jersey- it would be a IMBA Epic Ride.
    I'd say that the Crest and 401 are more common in the mountain bike lexicon than Buff Creek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast