Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

"Yield to Downhill. It's cool and it's courteous"

I've see you twice on the trails and the next time I'm climbing and hear you say this to me, I will wave you through so you can ride into my clothesline and then you'll get a nice kick to the groin. You're an idiot.

mtbr member

Where was this tough guy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    yeah, where is that loser riding?

mtbr member

Guess my lack of commas mislead. My tough guy reference was to the topic starter. I find it amusing you would rant about this as its no big deal. I make it a point to yield those coming down as I'm going up, it's much easier that way. Courteous going down when I run into climbers. Simple things. You say you would close line this dude going down next time well as most xc spandex wearers are the majority of complainers towards these downhill rebels. I seriously doubt you have the upper body strength to accomplish such task.

Chill out and ride your bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Guess my lack of commas mislead. My tough guy reference was to the topic starter. I find it amusing you would rant about this as its no big deal. I make it a point to yield those coming down as I'm going up, it's much easier that way. Courteous going down when I run into climbers. Simple things. You say you would close line this dude going down next time well as most xc spandex wearers are the majority of complainers towards these downhill rebels. I seriously doubt you have the upper body strength to accomplish such task.

Chill out and ride your bikes.

Oh geez, here we go again.

And for the record, it's NOT easier to yield to the downhill rider. If you're a crappy climber, like me, getting started again up hill is FAR, FAR harder than getting started going down again. And, cleaning a tough climb is often more rewarding than ripping it back down. That's why the uphill rider has the right of way.

So it's not "cool and courteous" to yield to downhill. In fact, since the downhill rider so desperately trying to get the right of way is telling the uphill rider to "yield" - that is, give up their right of way - he KNOWS it's his responsibility to let the uphill guy have the line.

Demanding the right of way when you are going downhill (obviously on a non-directional trail here) is the opposite of cool and courteous. It's selfish, disrespectful and simply being a douchebag.

Then again, so is threatening to clothesline someone... though we all harbor the thought about someone we think is being a dick on the trail!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I'm with the OP.
    Take three hours of single track through a pine forest and call me in the morning.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Oh geez, here we go again.
    At first I posted this pic because it used to amuse me. Now I feel more like the guy in it.

Name:  3aa9090d30.jpg
Views: 2974
Size:  32.3 KB

Jason Velocity, we need you.

"Yield to Downhill.  It's cool and it's courteous"-cute_praying_kitten.jpg
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    No matter who is in the right, if someone's being a d***, I say clothes line 'em.

I'm with stupid
    Or turn around and catch up to them and tell them your mind instead of going all WWF and saying "next time" and "clothesline" instead of just being a big boy and doing it on the spot. Nut up or shut up, hope you dont end up getting your ass kicked.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Or just do what I do....Yell STRAVA!!! going up or down, its the universal code to get the hell out of my way! LMAO

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    MTB101 - always yield for noob chicks going downhill.

fender bender freakout!!! on Pinkbike

Free your heel...
    Dick move.

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    Uphill always has right of way. If a guy wants to make up his own rules, he should buy his own mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm with the OP as well, other than the clothes line thing. You can yield to the DH rider all you want, the climbing rider still has the ROW.

It's funny cause you guys who yield to the DH rider, I'll take it and have taken the yield. Then on the very next climb still I'll expect the next DH rider to yield to me. Cool.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Colorado
    Well, I ALWAYS have the right of way. So bow down and yield to me.

My cup runneth over
    I can never watch that whole video (tried a few times).

Rigid in Evergreen
    Yielding to the downhill rider? LOL sure.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    No need to fire up the kitty cannon just yet. This thread has entertainment potential.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    I can never watch that whole video (tried a few times).
    Someone needs to put together a remix of that. I just feel sorry for the chick that dates her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    It's not a concrete ruling to me. Each situation is different. To me, if I'm bombing it and it looks like the guy is struggling up, I'm gonna yield and offer some encouragement. If the dude looks like he's out training, same thing, but if it looks like a dude out for a stroll on his bike and he's just trying to get to the top to turn around and bomb like me, and it looks like he may try to yield to me, I keep on it. It's common sense and every situation is different. Now, a horse, I always yield to. The damn things scare the hell outta me.

lucky enough
    Yes lots of different situations, sometimes the uphill rider will want to take a break anyway and wave the DH rider through. Fine, but the DH rider should never try to force the issue and make the uphiller yield. That's NOT cool.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    If a guy wants to make up his own rules, he should buy his own mountain.
    So true. On my mountain if you try to roll the double jump you get kicked off.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Name:  yiedtoallthedownhillers.JPG
Views: 2469
Size:  25.6 KB
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    It's not a concrete ruling to me. Each situation is different. To me, if I'm bombing it and it looks like the guy is struggling up, I'm gonna yield and offer some encouragement. If the dude looks like he's out training, same thing, but if it looks like a dude out for a stroll on his bike and he's just trying to get to the top to turn around and bomb like me, and it looks like he may try to yield to me, I keep on it. It's common sense and every situation is different. Now, a horse, I always yield to. The damn things scare the hell outta me.
    exactly, half the time when im riding down the guy riding up yields way ahead of time and in that case, of course im not going to yield to him, ill keep riding past him. a lot of times you'll see like-minded people and get a little closer, see if he yields, (most the time he does) and if he doesnt, i do. if the guys spandexed out charging uphill i know he's gonna be mr. rules, by the book guy, and ill yield to him.

when im trail running i always yield to bikers, it makes soooo much more sense.

common sense works a lot better than blindly following regulations that dont make sense and probably half the bikers disagree with. i never just charge downhill and expect someone to yield, if its uncertain ill usually be the one to yield and i always slow down a good bit even if it is obvious they're yielding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Someone needs to put together a remix of that. I just feel sorry for the chick that dates her.
    she sure is wearing a whole lotta body armor for what appears to be the worlds smoothest downhill track.

and everyone knows they shouldn't stop in the middle of the trail... or most people know it. If you are going to stop, you need to pull to the side. duh.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast