Now with 20% more fat!!

Yeti Thaw '08 (pic heavy)

With all of the snow we've had in Colorado I jumped at the chance to ride in Moab over the weekend. This is the second Yeti Thaw Festival (put on by Poison Spider) that I've attended. The whole drive out along I70 there was a good 6-8 inches on the ground in Utah until we turned off to head towards Moab... We were quite relieved to see that Moab wasn't as bad as we feared!

Day One - Amasa Back

We met at the upper parking lot where Anthony and Joe were busy setting up TONS of Yeti demos for people to ride.

Finding a line

Prepare for take-off - sorry I missed the actual launch

The weather sucked and the trails were ass (yep, it was opposite day)...

FrontRanger chillin' like a mad villain

VAHardtail with a migraine and the flu can still smoke me on the climbs - sad but true.

Marker on top of Amasa

This picture makes me dizzy

That's much better...

Hey, look at me! I think I'm artistic, but in reality, not so much...

More happy riders!

Snow, snow, everywhere snow

Day Two - Sovereign Trail

Anthony and Joe are back at it getting the demos ready for the masses

Getting ready for day two on the trail

FrontRanger has no sweat glands and must cool down like a dog

From the Sovereign overlook

Trail conditions

Amasa Back was dry except for the dirt road leading up to the singletrack. I don't remember mud on this trail at all.

Sovereign Trail was muddy on the North facing slopes and in the valley a bit between the climbs. Still definitely worth the ride, but there was a decent section of cake/pudding on this trail.

Thanks and shout-outs

Thanks to Poison Spider and Yeti for throwing another fun Moab opening weekend for us! I had a blast and have definitely made this yearly February Moab trip! We appreciate your hard work and enthusiasm! Also thanks to the guys at Adventure Cycling for reminding me about this weekend! Thanks to Jason and John for keeping me company on the drive and trails. Always fun riding with you guys.

Hope to see you all out there next year for this blast of a weekend!

mtbr member
    nice nice pics. i was down there and was also psyched to ride dry dirt finally!

Your retarded
    On the first obstacle on Amasa Back, don't scout a line, just go for it. That obstacle is more fun when improvised on the fly.

Those pics made me check my calender to see when I can ride there again. Very cool.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Girls rule! Rocknrollbarbie on her 575 on the first drop (not from this weekend however-this was our Turkey Day visit last year)...

7MGTE
    Nice pics! Can not wait to get my 08 575, go Yeti!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice- gotta say it's pretty tough to beat Yeti when it comes to arranging a ride or throwing a party. Awesome pictures!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet shots, JSD!

skillz to pay billz
    looks fun!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Rocknrollbarbie kicks ass! Thanks for the great series pic, flipnidaho!

mtbr member

dude...

you told me you were going to Old Pueblo!...but my spies tell me you were in Moab and now I have proof....secret squirrel training eh? Is you scared cos I got skillz? you suck and your photos are crap! Hope your wheels fall off

Front Range XC

Snow capped mountains

Just curious, those snow capped mountains in the back ground....are the south western Colorado? Always wondered that about Moab photos......

Marc

Now with 20% more fat!!
    longman - My teammate didn't get the okay from his doctor until after OP was full. We decided to head out to Moab and drown our sorrows in singletrack! For the record, I'm scared of your crazy mad skillz AND your secret squirrel army of spies!!

mdcelroy - That, I believe, is the La Sal Range in SE Utah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Sal_Range

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Feed back

Any info on how the new '08 and '07 compare?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In a nutshell:

The 2008 is a lot stiffer in front and stiffer in the back. I feel that the 2008 has more forward weight distribution so it climbs a bit better on the really steep stuff without wandering as much though the old one still climbed extremely well as far as traction goes.

The weight distribution change would normally make it a bit more edgy on the descents (I have limited time on a 2008 so bear that in mind) but I think lowering the BB height helped compensate for that. The wheelbase MAY also have been lengthened, thus adding to the compenstion for less rearward weight distribution.

Overall, the bike is stiffer and feels much tighter through rocky stuff. The downside for some will be the lower BB height, though others prefer the lower center of gravity that will provide.

Okay, this was more than a nutshell version but I can't say less without missing something

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Flyer, could you please get a job at a mountain bike magazine? That was more comprehensive than 90% of the write ups I've seen on the glossy pages.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haha..thanks for the kind comment, rockymtnway. I can only wish.