Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Yeti 575 Alternative - SC Heckler??

I'm wondering if any Front Range regulars have experience with both the 575 and Heckler. I see 575s everywhere which is a good endorsement, but I can save several hundred dollars going with a Heckler. Both are single pivot designs with approx the same amount of travel and frame weight. All thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Carbon Nomad?

Oh I want one!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Are you interested only in a single-pivot?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    You should just save yourself some money AND go with the 575...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=48854

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    You should just save yourself some money AND go with the 575...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=48854
    Note to self... put my 575 up for sale ASAP.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Save yourself some money by buying a yeti. That is hilarious!

Think Circles!
    I'd recommend the Yeti. Out here you can find a good used Yeti for a good price if you watch CL.

My recommendation at that price would be a Niner Rip 9 though

hehe ...you said "member"
    Was looking at the SC website - the APP design on that new Butcher looks interesting.
    Dont know if they're in stores yet, but might be worth a test ride. After all, opinions on "which bike is best" mean nothing until you've actually tested them out. I remember when I was looking for an AM bike and tested a 575 - just didn't like the feel of the rear suspension (disclaimer: this was the old 575 with that triangular knuckle they used to have in the top tube)

Also, the forward shock pivot/mount on the Butcher has a built in bottle opener ... just sayin'
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Was looking at the SC website - the APP design on that new Butcher looks interesting.
    at the "APP" design moniker.

I Void Waranties
    what the heck the sc wins this shootout in my opinion.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses and to address some of the comments:
    My apologies, I should have included some more info.
    1) No carbon - I've broke carbon stays on my current bike and my buddy broke the carbon rear triangle of his 575. I'm soured on the stuff for mtb. Right or wrong, I'm done with carbon for now.
    2) I've ridden the 575 of my buddy and liked it, just would like to find something similar that has an all aluminum frame and costs less. I believe the 575 is no longer offered w/o a carbon component in the rear. I will say that Yeti was super in supportong my friends broken 575, but I'd still rather avoid the stuff.
    3) I only need a new frame/fork. I've got everything else and I have a strong preference for new.

I've also checked out the Intense Tracer and Blur LT - both obvioulsy sweet but not exactly in the less $ than 575 category.

Mainly looking at the Heckler as a good option for a dependable and fun bike that goes up and down day after day.

$!/#%&!!!
    The Heckler is an awesome machine. I have an '09 575 and my regular ride buddy is on his 2nd Heckler so I have experience on both. The Heckler is generally heavier - if it matters. My buddy's build is just under 29lbs and my 575 is just over 26 with pretty much the same components. Both bikes are awesome. The 575 climbs better and flies through the gnarly stuff as well as the Heckler. However, the Heckler inspires more confidence off big ledges and IMO leans more toward the trail/ all-mtn category (big travel/burly build/meant to be abused downhill but not be so heavy you can't pedal it up) while the 575 is is solidly in the middle of the trail category (lighter build - see carbon seat/chain stays, that can be pedaled all day long but still tackle the gnar).
    When I was shopping for a new bike last year I thought I would be getting an SC for sure - Nomad, Heckler, Blur - but they just didn't fit me like I thought they would. The 575 did.
    Moral of the story - make sure you try them all. My buddy and I ride the exact same trails all up and down the FR, Moab, Fruita together all the time and there is no question that both bikes are awesome here.
    I'm gone, Mangk!

mtbr member
    I'd look at the Butcher. There's a Santa Cruz Demo day on Thursday at Mt. Falcon.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz has got some pretty sweet stuff coming out. I hope Yeti follows suit and ditches the 575 suspension. I love my 575, but I think it's time for a new design.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Santa Cruz has got some pretty sweet stuff coming out. I hope Yeti follows suit and ditches the 575 suspension. I love my 575, but I think it's time for a new design.
    Just... because?

Your bike is incorrigible
    I have a Heckler. I like it. I'm the final authority on the matter. End of story.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I have a Heckler. I like it. I'm the final authority on the matter. End of story.
    THANK YOU - that is exactly what I needed to hear. Now I can skip the demo at Mt Falcon on Thursday.

Serioulsy, thanks to all. You helped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy McNoodles
    Both are single pivot designs with approx the same amount of travel and frame weight. All thoughts appreciated.
    The 575 isn't single pivot though. It's a four bar system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Just... because?
    YUP!
    Catalina wine Mixer!

Starts B, ends Rant.
    I'm excited for this thread to turn into debate over whether the 575 is single pivot or four bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Do what it takes to get hold of a newer Heckler in your size (2007 or newer) and ride it on multiple trails. Tweak the fork and shock settings to your liking, then ride some more. That's the only way you're gonna know if you'll want one. I've been riding an '07 Superlight for three years, PUSHed RP23. I love it. But I don't ride aggressively so never wanted a Heckler (meaning, more travel). Same suspension, though. What might bother one rider about whatever, the next rider won't even notice.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy1
    The 575 isn't single pivot though. It's a four bar system.
    Nope. Its a single pivot. The rear axle moves around the main pivot. Theres some other stuff going on that actuates the shock, but yup, its just a well executed single pivot design.

To the OP, you should check out the new single pivot (APP) stuff from SC in addition to the Heckler. The Nickel or Butcher may fit the bill nicely. You can demo both of them tomorrow night at Mt Falcon from 4:30 to 7pm.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    YUP!
    Hey - at least you're honest.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I've been riding an '07 Superlight for three years, PUSHed RP23. I love it. But I don't ride aggressively so never wanted a Heckler (meaning, more travel). Same suspension, though. What might bother one rider about whatever, the next rider won't even notice.
    Actually, mine is an '08, and it came with a Float. Had it PUSHed but still wish I could have a lockout. It rides well enough, and the back end really digs in on climbs. I think it weighs around 30#, and I don't see how I could drop much weight off it: Pike, X9 drivetrain, DT E2200 wheelset with Advantage 2.25s, Atlas cranks. It's one tough bike that I'm not afraid to ride through anything. In fact, I'm not very interested in trying a four bar suspension just because the Heckler works so well.

ride
    I've built a few Transition Coverts and Tomac Snypers lately. Great bikes if you're looking for a good do it all beefy single pivot on a not huge budget. I've been on a 2010 Snyper for a few weeks now and so far it's the bees knees. 2010 Tomacs use what they call IAS (Instant Active Suspension) which is mumbo jumbo for a single pivot with a mini link - same deal as Santa Cruz's APP.

The Transition Covert is weighing in a 7.4lbs for a medium and would be a great stout bike capable of many things, especially given where you are Eggy.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast