mtbr member

yesterday at the 'tooth

No rants, no flames, no arguing. Just some pictures from a surreal morning ride yesterday.

This happens everyday, but I don't have this vantage point everyday:

The trails were mostly deserted, but I wasn't the only turkey out there:

The horse's teeth poke out of the clouds:

The grounds crew did a wonderful job of washing and prepping the trails just for me:

Shoe-view:

Vista:

Clouds:

First light on ol' what's-it-called Peak:

It's August, but kinda felt like the 4th of July:

what nice teeth you have
    Spectacular

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I stayed off the trails yesterday because of the much-needed rainstorms we had on both of the two days preceding. (I come from the days when "style and ethics" was the operative phrase in MTB).

Were the trails pretty dry?

While muck-ruts peppered with knobby tire imprints are an eyesore on any trail in the otherwise pristine wilderness, really my concern has more to do with *****y mixed-use users (rightfully, in this case) claiming that MTB is destructive and should therefore be restricted or outright banned.

mtbr member
    very nice. What time did you start?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    I stayed off the trails yesterday because of the much-needed rainstorms we had on both of the two days preceding. (I come from the days when "style and ethics" was the operative phrase in MTB).

Were the trails pretty dry?

While muck-ruts peppered with knobby tire imprints are an eyesore on any trail in the otherwise pristine wilderness, really my concern has more to do with *****y mixed-use users (rightfully, in this case) claiming that MTB is destructive and should therefore be restricted or outright banned.
    Agreed that ruts are bad, but have you ridden Horsetooth much? It's pretty gravely and doesn't turn into horrible muck very easily. That kind of stuff is more down around the first couple hogbacks of the foothills. I would also venture to say Larimer county doesn't have any of the JeffCo sh!t goin on. There's a couple hiker only trails, but not many and no real push to add more.

Rolling
    Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yeah awesome pics.... wish I could get my arse up that early

mtbr member
    The trails at HT handle moisture very well. The trails are mostly decomposed granite and sandy soils. Night and day compared to the clay stuff in the Valley Trails of Lory, Coyote Ridge, etc. I don't think I left a "rut" anywhere and my bike wasn't even dirty after a 2-hour ride. (Tires were clean enough to just roll the bike in my van).

I'm with you on the whole "style and ethics" thing. I was up on these trails (vs the closer and muddier ones) for that exact reason.

What time did you start?
    Had my tires rolling right around 5:45

single track ****
    nice shots!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    No rants, no flames, no arguing. Just some pictures from a surreal morning ride yesterday.
    This thread is useless

Kiddin.... great stuff!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

pdh
    mtbr member
    Very nice thread
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Well done.

jl
    climb
    I guess I should stop sleepin' in ...

Nice shots...
    Ride On!

Thread Terrorist
    this thread is useless without good video

Spectacular photography, that makes for a stellar ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    The trails at HT handle moisture very well. The trails are mostly decomposed granite and sandy soils. Night and day compared to the clay stuff in the Valley Trails of Lory, Coyote Ridge, etc. I don't think I left a "rut" anywhere and my bike wasn't even dirty after a 2-hour ride. (Tires were clean enough to just roll the bike in my van).

I'm with you on the whole "style and ethics" thing. I was up on these trails (vs the closer and muddier ones) for that exact reason.

Had my tires rolling right around 5:45
    Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't giving you any flak - I've just had "rain" on my mind since we've needed it so badly, and of course, the next thought is, "What does that do for my riding?"

MTB B'dos

Good job! Sweet stuff!

Very excellent post nice pics.

Where did you start from and what trails did you actually ride that are more gravel/broken granite type? Curious as I had H'tooth on my list of places to ride while I'm up there and wouldn't like to help "anger" any anti bike peoples.

Inflexable...
    These are great pictures. I like pictures!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Where did you start from and what trails did you actually ride that are more gravel/broken granite type? Curious as I had H'tooth on my list of places to ride while I'm up there and wouldn't like to help "anger" any anti bike peoples.
    Route was from the main (upper) lot. Up service road, up audra culver, down wathen, up Spring Creek to Towers Road, down upper Mill Creek, across loggers to Sawmill down Stout, cross Towers Road, up south Stout, to the "new" Spring Creek extension to Soderburg and down the Service Road. Nice route, I recommend it.

But I would just ask around about trail conditions. Generally for our typical summer/fall rains everything HT is good after a rain. Avoid the valley trails in Lory, avoid the indian summer / coyote ridge valleys. Devils Backbone and the front of coyote ridge are so rocky they do ok soon after a rain, too. Use common sense, but most of our mud/trail damage problems are in the late winter/spring as the trails are drying out from the winter.

P.S. - I remember meeting you quickly the night before the enduro last year. Glad to hear you're coming back.

Open the canned peaches!
    ditto, nice shots, especially like the "vista." I'll have to go see what the new Spring Creek extension is, haven't been up there in too long.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

Thanks

Ed