jeny jo

yearly GetLost ride

Once again we started early and saddled up for our annual GetLost Ride. Apparently we have issues getting back to the trail head on this ride. It seems to happen every year. This year I think we only logged a few extra miles (was it only a few... really?) and a lot of unnecessary grinding-uphill time... only to end up at a dead end. DOH!

The Beginning -- heading out through the Enchanted Forest

Total, we ended up with 50 miles, about 6700' vert, and a solid 9.5 hours out in the wild-wild-west.

The day started at 43 degrees, with heavy promises of real wet weather. Always a daunting way to start the day ... in drizzle. It rained on and off throughout the day. It was sunny at random, well timed parts of the day, and it was spectacular all the way around.

Trails were in prime shape!

Today I had the distinct pleasure of riding with the following crew:

SSpike, EdE, Mateo, ffeJ, CBrock and CalZone -- just after finding the RIGHT way to where we wanted to go. Sort of. (I know EdE will post pix, SSpike has posted pix, and I hope that CalZone posts pix, too.)

Notice they're all on their trusty SingleSpeedSteeds? All I can say is thank goodness I had a full range of gears!! ;-)

I don't have much of a story for the full ride. It's just awesome. We get to some places that feel really remote, and I think aren't very populated. We didn't see any other riders, and only one other hiker while way out there. We saw a number of moto and 4x guys... and that was about it.

The boys kept me on my toes all day long. I didn't really have the will to pull out the camera too often ... for pix or for videos. So, for the full slide show, click here:

The "way home" of our GetLost ride includes these far-away dirt roads that are nothing but an endless set of steep down hills, followed immediately by steep-steep slap-in-the-face uphills. That these "steep rollers" happen at the END of the ride is somewhat disappointing, especially considering that even after we finish them, we still have a massive amount of single track climbing to get back up to the cars...like a solid 12 miles of it ;0)

The crew finding their way up one of the countless rollers.

Getting out never fails to include a bit of this:

SSpike, trying to figure out exactly where he led us all in a wrong turn.

And sometimes, the 'road' is easy to miss.

Personally, I can't stand it when there are more than 2 minds trying to figure the right way out. So usually I just go looking. Luckily for me, I have a good sense of direction. Ask EdE. He knows.

Luckily for me, I expected this to happen and was not disappointed when it did finally happen. I was prepared! And I just kept eating and eating and pedaling and pedaling....

I must admit tho... I started the day feeling wasted tired, and it never changed. I was hoping that somewhere along the trail the body would figure it out and just wake up and be energetic and strong... but that never happened.

Jj taking a break after FINDING THE KEY HOLE to get outta that insane back-roads world ;-) Yes, I'm lying smack in the middle of an ancient 2x or singletrack.... See how invisible it is!

For Steevies Pix, go here.

I will also say this: I don't think I've ever completed such a big day feeling so rotten!
    NOTE to self: Session Rides are NOT Rest Rides. Silly Jj.

This helped:

A little humor.... Like I could actually carry that thing out of there...LOL! EdE and I are accumulating quite the collection of elk antler sheds! Yes, this one will be added to the collection.

But! We did find our way to the long single track that led back up to the cars. And, as usual, everyone in the group ends up at their own pace (now that everyone knows where the heck they're going), and we all get spread out a bit. The long climb home, (after all the long climbs getting out there and getting us back to the final single track) is always daunting in my mind. But, once on it, I always seem to find a relative pair of wings. I am going to call this my "I'm almost there" set of wings.

View from part of the final stretch home

I do think it was a wildly successful day. We got CBrock out on his "hardest ride ever", and we got to ride with ffeJ once again (it's been a couple of years, no?) We also were lucky to show CalZone, CBrock and ffeJa nice new set of trails!!! Not that I think they'd be willing to put themselves out there to try and find their way home again any time soon.

It was a fantastic day, with truly wonderful people. I'm lucky I got to tag along!

Our ponies at rest, absolutely nowhere near home:

Jj

mtbr member
    HAHA!! Love the trails that always get me lost, makes for a great ride. Thanks for sharing the pics!

jeny jo

+1

one more from EdE:
    One of my favorite of Ed's pix of the day:

jj

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Luv the title!!!! Great ride and sorry about the wrong turn.Extra miles.No extra charge.
    Half fast, not slow, not fast... just half fast.

ride
    Simply awesome. Getting lost rides are my absolute favorites!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

NIce Rack!

Had to say it! Looks like good times were had, we had a shorter version on sat. Beautiful pics too guys as usual!!

Nice job all, Chad how ya doin man??!!

See you guys on thurs.??
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member

Wink fallen angel?

clipped a wing on the way down...

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Hairshirt Rider

Ah yes,

One of the those rides where you are just praying for the fun to end.

One of those rides where when you finally figure out where you are you think "oh crap, i've still got a lot of ground to cover."

Great photos. Looks like you had good company too.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Nice...gotta love getting lost and finding where only those few souls willing discover..

jeny jo

truth be told, we were only misplaced for a good half hour or so (28 minutes of that trudging up a looonnnnnggggggggggg hill).

i think i was more worried for the folks who hadn't been ou that way (or with us) ... when the leader says one thing, and takes the crew one way, only to find out that others don't remember seeing "that bit of trail/road" before... I can't imagine what they were thinking.

I think ffeJ said it best: "i'm following you guys", as he opted to ride with and behind Ed and I and not Steevie.

Steevie: thanks for the hook up, link up, and full-meal-deal day!!! I'm thinking a solo adventure out there would be nice.... As long as I can remember the maze to get back.

Jj

A lovely day with a great group!

More pics here.

Ed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the great ride guys! It was everything you promised, great views, long, painful and we would get lost.
    It was DEFINITELY the hardest ride i have ever been on but one of the BEST too!!
    The only thing i rode yesterday was the couch with an ice pack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    A lovely day with a great group!

More pics here.

Ed
    Awesome shots!

Up not down
    Aug 2006
    Thanks to all you guys.. esp Spike for the whiskey. I had to help him out with it so
    we would get lost anymore
    Great Epic ride what more could you ask for rain, sun, rain, lots of rain, sun, rain, rain.
    But super sticky singletrack that went forever...
    ffej

mtbr member
    Sorry I had to skate so quickly after the ride, but the get of jail card had an expiration time. Kudos to s.s. spike for masterminding the ride and for Jenamin's inner-compass. Loads of fun riding with all ya. Good to meet ya crock450 and surfsled. Looking forward to more rides like this one, soon.