mtbr member
    Aug 2008

... and if we just ... Ya'll got room for one more

I know that I am probably inviting to be flamed, but I couldn't help but share my excitement with my fellow mountain bikers. I have accepted an offer for a position in Lakewood and I am very excited about exploring your (now mine also) beautiful state. I am coming from Asheville, NC and have lived in OH and AZ but have always dreamed of living in Colorado. I ride 29er SS, Turner Flux and occasionally a road bike

I would like some recommendations from the locals:

What are the recommended apartments in Lakewood or Nearby? (I would like to bike to work when the weather permits)

What are bike shops that I should check out?

What are close trails that I check out first?

I will buy a beer(s) for any guy/gal that shows me the trails and divulges their wonderful secrets.

Shattering Glass
    Welcome to heaven.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainboy
    I am very excited about exploring your (now mine also) beautiful state.
    It's not yours - never will be, go home.

With that out of the way, welcome.

Check out Mojo Wheels - Sheridan and Dartmouth

Also check out:

Deer Creek
    Mathews Winters / Dakota Ridge
    Apex (on second thought - don't)
    Mt. Falcon
    Lair of the Bear (aka LOTB)
    Bergen Peak
    3 Sisters
    Indian Creek (Accessable via Waterton Canyon / CO Trail)
    Those are just the obvious, close in trails - there's a bunch more once you start venturing further out of town.

I'd give you some directions - but they're easy to find in the trail review section.

If you post in advance, you should have no issues finding locals to ride with.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Welcome, I don't know shops in Lakewood.. sorry I can't help!

Rolling
    Wow, there are jobs being offered in this economy?

Amazing the difference in optimism between CNN and other news sources versus MTBR and Colorado.

Welcome to the recession (and maybe depression)-proof and biking dream---Colorado.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Welcome!
    Sounds like you're moving here just in time for ski season.
    Bike Shop: Green Mountain Sports - friendly, down to earth shop. Always helpful.
    Trails: 'Zilla gave a good list - there are too many to choose from to name. Riding a 29er SS in the foothils of the Rockies should provide you with a different riding experience for sure.
    Apartments: Not really familliar with the market, but I see countless complexes with signs up. Look at the Belmar area - Alameda and Wadsworth. Lots of "suburban development" going on there.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    join us tomorrow night and you'll meet a couple other carolina boys, you may even know em!

PBR warm night ride continues!

We'll hit GM and ironworks for a post ride beer! Got lights?

welcome
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Hey Mountainboy,

Welcome to the area! BigBlueDodge and myself are both from the Asheville area. I just moved to Lakewood myself back in September. I'd stay towards the western edge of Lakewood for close access to the Trails.

There's many apartments in the area. I live in the Red Rocks myself and though descent, there are many college kids here who like to boom their music and party at odd hours of the morning, 1-3am. We're looking to buy at the end of our lease, possibilities include Lakewood, Golden, Evergreen, and Lyons.

PBR's night rides are always a blast with good peeps and usually a few brews at a local pub afterwards.

Front Range riding is pretty buff and crowed compared to Pisgah but there is some good technical riding to be found within a hour's drive in the National Forest. Let me know when your in town and I'll show ya around.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Look at the area near Kipling Parkway and Morrison Road for apartments. There are quite a few nice apartment complexes in this area. And, the Bear Creek Bike Path and Stone House trail runs through some of these apt. complexes. Additionally, the area is near Bear Creek Lake Park and within riding distance of Green Mtn Open Space and Red Rocks/Dakota Ridge trails. The best part of this location - dozens of Jeffco Open Space trails are within a 20-30 minute drive.

Which way? Uphill.
    Lakewood's big, but I lived at the Red Rocks Apartments at 267 Zang St
    Lakewood, CO 80228 and I was about a 4 minute ride from the trails on Green Mountain, very nice.

I also lived in the Montrachet Apartment Homes in the same area at 1855 Denver w CT
    Denver, CO 80214
    These were awesome places, and more expensive than the Red Rocks Apartments. You're right on South Table Mountain which is good for running and a quick casual ride, green mountain was about a 20 minute ride then.

Both of these places have at least 6 open space parks within 20 minutes of driving.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Heathen
    Like many, many others, I just moved here this year. You'll love it.

As MountainGoat said, the trails are a bit buff unless you don't mind driving an hour or so for stuff like Sourdough up near Nederland.

Lakewood is a big area so where to live depends on what you want to spend. It's not a bad time to consider buying a house since the prices are still heading down. Find someplace as far west as you can to keep the distance to riding a minimum. Plenty of room near Green Mountain.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Y'all are from Cackalacky & said ya'll.

Trailwrecker at large

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319

You've completely lost me.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    You've completely lost me.
    Excellent! I love it when a plan comes together.
    Trailwrecker at large

Living the High Life
    A map for most of what that lizard told you...http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...e_T56_R108.htm

Armchair Sasquatcheror

APTS in Lakewood

I used to live in Telluride West before moving to Golden several years ago. I liked those units and the neighborhood, pricewise, they are not student housing but affordable in my opinion. There is also a complex called Snowbird there which is comparable.

I would look at places that are due west of Union Ave and due South of 6th Ave. This will put you on the East side of Green Mt. open space and although it is not one of my favorite rides, you will always have a descent on the way back to your house.

The only reason that it isn't one of my favorite rides is that I used to ride it every day when I lived there - you can also access many other trails via Green Mt.

I still have never ridden in Asheville, but I have several friends who did not bike and now are addicted to it after living there.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

Heads up Flyboy!!

Thats right...with southern twang and all. I'll keep my accent and southern speak, its a Cackalacky thang ya know

Yappy little dog!
    I know that I am probably inviting to be flamed, but I couldn't help but share my excitement with my fellow mountain bikers. I have accepted an offer for a position in Lakewood and I am very excited about exploring your (now mine also) beautiful state. I am coming from Asheville, NC and have lived in OH and AZ but have always dreamed of living in Colorado. I ride 29er SS, Turner Flux and occasionally a road bike

I would like some recommendations from the locals:

What are the recommended apartments in Lakewood or Nearby? (I would like to bike to work when the weather permits)

What are bike shops that I should check out?

What are close trails that I check out first?

I will buy a beer(s) for any guy/gal that shows me the trails and divulges their wonderful secrets.
    Welcome to the greatest State in the nation (even if it includes the people on MTBR ). You are not the only one moving here. Projected growth over the next four years is 30%.

Check out www.teamevergreen.org if you are interested in joining a great club with some great group rides.

If you are interested in getting involved (and not just riding) with the trails. PM me and I'll hook you up with people making a difference.

Beer: Left Hand Milk Stout
    Music: Stifler's Mom (http://www.myspace.com/stifmom -- free pint at a show if you mention this )

Don't worry about the flames. I already take most of the heat anyway.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Welcome to the greatest State in the nation
    Utah's better.

Living the High Life
    Welcome to the greatest State in the nation (even if it includes the people on MTBR ). You are not the only one moving here. Projected growth over the next four years is 30%.

Check out www.teamevergreen.org if you are interested in joining a great club with some great group rides.

If you are interested in getting involved (and not just riding) with the trails. PM me and I'll hook you up with people making a difference.

Beer: Left Hand Milk Stout
    Music: Stifler's Mom (http://www.myspace.com/stifmom -- free pint at a show if you mention this )
    A bit of self promotion there?

Heathen
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Quoting the A-Team. Sadly, I caught that one.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I am even more excited than when I first accepted the job offer. I do have a follow up question: I would like to learn a winter sport, so should it be snowboarding or skiing? Keep in mind I am a man of few natural talents and that I have never attempted either sport.

Thanks again for the "mountain hospitality"
    Snowboarding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks for the hospitality

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I am even more excited than when I first accepted the job offer. I do have a follow up question: I would like to learn a winter sport, so should it be snowboarding or skiing? Keep in mind I am a man of few natural talents and that I have never attempted either sport.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    A bit of self promotion there?
    Shameless self-promotion.

Yappy little dog!

Skiing. Boarding is for DEWdes. Their like the DHers of the snow. No regard for anyone but themselves!

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Skiing. Boarding is for DEWdes. Their like the DHers of the snow. No regard for anyone but themselves!
    Get out of that damnable us against them mentality and maybe more folks would get along and keep the trails open. I ride a rigid 29er and just ride. All Mountain, DH, XC, who cares. We have a common goal and thats to keep trails open. WTF dude.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Get out of that damnable us against them mentality and maybe more folks would get along and keep the trails open. I ride a rigid 29er and just ride. All Mountain, DH, XC, who cares. We have a common goal and thats to keep trails open. WTF dude.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    I guess you didn't see the smiley at the end.

mtbr member
    Don't come here, there are already too many mountain bikers on the Front Range

If you have your mind made up, though, I second what 3sigma said. Kipling and Morrison area is great for riding from your door and for being within 20 minutes drive of many good trails.

I rented here for a year (then bought a home in the same area):

http://www.theretreatatfoxhollow.com...ollow/home.asp

Not cheap, but well-kept, gated, you can rent a garage to store your bike(s) or your car (though who does THAT?) and you can have pets!

Best part is, you can ride to Bear Creek Lake Park in 5 minutes, get on the Bear Creek bike path in less than 5 minutes, and access to the mountains for skiing or biking is super easy since Rt 285 is just 1/2 mile away.

If you want to bike commute, it would help to know where you are going to work, if you want housing recommendations!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Additional information

I really appreciate the housing recommendations, my work address is

14000 Denver West Parkway

I would like to be within 8 to 10 miles to facilitate biking to work.

Thanks again

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    Don't come here, there are already too many mountain bikers on the Front Range
    Hey! That's what I told YOU before you moved here.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'd say I'm just a wee bit bigger

Members who have read this thread: 0