Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XX1 or XO1 in Colorado

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on experience with xx1 in the mountains.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    been setting most of them up with 30 tooth chain rings. People are happy with them. Here's a link to the gear comparison:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2dENPVFE#gid=0
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! good to hear.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by micgills View Post
    Just wanted to hear some thoughts on experience with xx1 in the mountains.
    I was using a 28t XX1 with a 10 speed type 2 XO 11-36 rear and was impressed. I beat on it and never dropped a chain. It was JUST enough gearing on a 29er, but I would have liked the 42 rear for really long climbs on all day rides. I didn't miss not having a 10t vs the 11t though--I really wish they would just come out with an 11-42 10 speed cassette that didn't need a new freewheel.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Running xx1 w/ grip shift. Dig it. 32t works good for me- although do find myself on a rare occasion looking for another climbing gear. I could see putting a 28 t on there. Sounds like some machine shops can even make a 26t due to xx1 bcd. Reasons why I'd choose xx1 over xo1. Cons obviously cost. On a superficial level gear changes occur with a clunk but no impact to performance. I have wracked the derailleur on rocks hard a few times and it hasn't crumbled- yet. It will and that's going to hurt.
    Get it - no dropped chains and singlefying drivetrain improves ride experience. Plus lose several hundred grams over your existing setup.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The difference in cost is negligible but if I were upgrading an existing bike, I'd get all the XX1 parts but the cranks, then just get a Raceface or Wolftooth ring for your existing crankset. That'll mean you are limited to a 30t as your smallest front ring, though.

Not having a front derailleur rules. I set my wife's bike up with XX1 this year and she is ecstatic.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member

XX1 or XO1 in Colorado

Xx1 36 up front works great here in Colorado

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: XX1 or XO1 in Colorado

Been riding XX1 with 32 up front this whole year and loving it. Before the start of this year my longest mtb ride ever was 35 miles on a 3x9. This year I raced in the Breck 68 (70 miles 8.5k climbing). and thought xx1 was perfect.

Do I sometimes wish I had an extra low gear? Yes, but I did on my 3x9 as well. I think you just adapt to what you have.

The only downside is the big jump between the 10 & 12 tooth cog. It's a pretty big jump and sometimes I find myself flicking between the two. That's me being fussy though. Either way I can't see me getting a front derailleur on a new bike ever again
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    Been riding XX1 with 32 up front this whole year and loving it. Before the start of this year my longest mtb ride ever was 35 miles on a 3x9. This year I raced in the Breck 68 (70 miles 8.5k climbing). and thought xx1 was perfect.

Do I sometimes wish I had an extra low gear? Yes, but I did on my 3x9 as well. I think you just adapt to what you have.

The only downside is the big jump between the 10 & 12 tooth cog. It's a pretty big jump and sometimes I find myself flicking between the two. That's me being fussy though. Either way I can't see me getting a front derailleur on a new bike ever again
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Well that pretty much sold me. I do alot of climbing so thanks!
    what bike are you you?

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The difference in cost is negligible but if I were upgrading an existing bike, I'd get all the XX1 parts but the cranks, then just get a Raceface or Wolftooth ring for your existing crankset. That'll mean you are limited to a 30t as your smallest front ring, though.

-Walt
    +1 but slight correction: Wolf tooth makes a direct mount 28T for GXP cranks...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by micgills View Post
    Well that pretty much sold me. I do alot of climbing so thanks!
    what bike are you you?
    Specialized Epic Expert.

You might want to invest $10 in these race face boots to protect your shiny new carbon cranks

Crank Ends

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    +1 but slight correction: Wolf tooth makes a direct mount 28T for GXP cranks...
    And if that isn't low enough, they are going to start shipping the 26t late next week! I am very interested in one of those (and a 36t for the resorts assuming they are fairly easy to switch out). I specifically bought X9 cranks for the new bike so I would be able to run Wolf Tooths.

mtbr member
    not on xx1 but i have converted my casette to 11-41 with 32 front. i dont really care for 10 in the back. its great not having to care about front der. go fo it you will love it. i run race face narrow/wide ring in front, no tensioners or guides. didnt drop chain once. it is great upgrade.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    And if that isn't low enough, they are going to start shipping the 26t late next week! I am very interested in one of those (and a 36t for the resorts assuming they are fairly easy to switch out). I specifically bought X9 cranks for the new bike so I would be able to run Wolf Tooths.
    Dang... my correction stands corrected.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

XX1 or XO1 in Colorado

Hadn't seen wolf tooth. Another correction looks like they offer 24t for direct mount gxp according to their website. $78. That'd be nice on a Fatbike.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The difference in cost is negligible but if I were upgrading an existing bike, I'd get all the XX1 parts but the cranks, then just get a Raceface or Wolftooth ring for your existing crankset.

-Walt
    Walt, how are those RF narrow wides working with 11sp chains? Haven't tried that one yet.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rides Uphill Slow
    I just installed a Wolf Tooth 30. First ride this morning. Running 11-34 out back. It was awesome. Not a single dropped chain and I'm using way more of my cassette now. Need to switch to 10spd and run 11-36. Should be just about right.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    not on xx1 but i have converted my casette to 11-41 with 32 front. i dont really care for 10 in the back. its great not having to care about front der. go fo it you will love it. i run race face narrow/wide ring in front, no tensioners or guides. didnt drop chain once. it is great upgrade.

Brankulo is the 11 - 41 a homemade thang or where did you get it, and if ya made it is there a how too somewhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Brankulo is the 11 - 41 a homemade thang or where did you get it, and if ya made it is there a how too somewhere?
    there are 3 ways that i know of that you can convert your cassette to high range one, depending how much you want to spend. i went the cheapest way, which was adding 42 cog from ebay to 11-36 cassette, just to see if i would like it. ended up keeping it, have been on mine for almost 8 months. total cost for me was i think $35, but i already had extra cassette that i needed for conversion. pm me if you need more details.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Twin Six METAL Team
    XX1 has worked great in and around Colorado Springs, as well as for the Leadville Silver Rush 50 last month. I started out with a 32T initially (which worked fine around town), but switched to a 30T for Leadville. I love the simplicity of this group, as well as the ease of setup and reliability so far...and man, is it quiet.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I only have a little time on one but they seem fine so far. Honestly I have had pretty good luck running just a tall-tooth unramped (ie Bling Ring) setup with the XX1. And I ride pretty rough stuff in general. So the narrow wide isn't even really mandatory IMO unless you're really hucking/shredding the Jamestown moto trails or something.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I've had one a few weeks now. Moved on from my 1x9 setup. I'm loving it. Those two extra rings have really helped on high country stuff. I've ridden copper to Kokomo, two elks, some local stuff and today pikes peak. No chain problems. It's nice to stay in my 1x9 mentality around town and have those two extra rings to sit and spin in on altitude stuff.

Rode w a couple friends today both running xx1. One had a 28t on a trek carbon full suspension and another had a 30t on a Bronson. They were both shredding really technical stuff and liked the setups.

The guy w the Bronson broke a chain on a local ride previously. Hasn't had a problem since. The trek was acting up missing shifts and shifting by itself but once we adjusted it on the trail it was fine. It's a setup you'll have to keep up on cause replacing parts is not cheap but it seems to be a pretty ideal range for my riding. I'm really digging it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    awesome info. not sure what I will buy may just base that decision on price. could just go a mix of xt - xtr and save a few hundred. At this point I am thinking pivot mach 6 or bronson for these components. I guess you can't really go wrong no matter what I do.

I am demoing a bronson now but got to wait until the mach 6 comes so I can at least throw a leg over one. Ughh hardest part is waiting; the longer I wait the more justifying I have.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The problem with this set up is you'll loose top end gears. If you don't mind spinning out at <20mph then you should be OK.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I don't know man...I haven't had any issues reaching 20+ MPH when in the 10T in the back. I could see it being an issue if you spend a lot of time on the road, etc to transition to and from trails, but on the trail, not at all. With the rocks, climbs, switchbacks, etc, how often are you really using anything smaller than 18T? I'm sure some might, but unless I'm descending, I know I'm not.

With how easy (maybe not cheap) it is to swap the rings up front, you can quickly tailor the system for the conditions that you'll be riding in. Most people I know check at least tires, chain, etc, before riding. Swapping an XX1 chain ring would add less than 5 minutes to that process. I've typically been running a 32T here in Colorado Springs, but switch to a 30 for places like Leadville, etc. I would even consider a 34T for here in town, but my frame is limited to a 32T.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast