Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wyle E. Coyote!

Yappy little dog!

Wyle E. Coyote!

Just a word of caution if your up on North Table a little past dusk. There's a pretty large pack of Coyotes (I though they were loners) who are hanging around like a inner-city gang. I came across the pack last night. They saw me and scattered, but later that night they came down into the development and it wasn't pretty. It sounded like thy got a neighbors pooch. This gang is pretty brazen, so beware if you bring your dog with you on the ride. Lock your doggy door at night if you live in the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What, coyotes in Colorado??!! Are you sure?

I think I saw a deer last week, I could be wrong though.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    could have been dog faced midget cougars.

Thread Terrorist
    Good to note.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    yep - there are plenty on both north and south table mountains.

Thread Terrorist
    Mt. Galbraith too. Saw a pack there a few days back. Not to mention 2 mt lions last Friday morning.

Living the High Life
    A question here, I've been in CO for less than 2 years. Will Coyotes ever go after people? Or are we way to big for their taste?

skillz to pay billz
    never heard of it. although if you were hobbled and severely dehydrated they might start to nibble a little.

Living the High Life
    Crap, I get dehydrated easy...at least all they do is nibble I guess.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    VERY unlikely that they'd go after you. but they do try to tempt your dog away from you to "play" and lure them back to where a bunch of them are waiting... and... that's it. so keep your dog close-by when up there early in the AM or later in the evening.

friend of Apex
    Dogs off leash are illegal and very disrespectful to other trail users
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    A question here, I've been in CO for less than 2 years. Will Coyotes ever go after people? Or are we way to big for their taste?
    Well it depends...Let's just say I wouldn't wanna ride with my T-Bone marinating around my neck as any trendy bling-like statement or anything...other than that I'd say you're good to go.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Coyotes around where we are probably won't bother people but they are very interested in my dog when a pack is close by. I've had them all stare me down before when I had my dog with me and my dog was very interested in going to see what was up with all these "other dogs".

Certain areas of the Coal Creek Trail in Lafayette have more coyotes than others, they seem to like the trail and open space off of 120th heading out to Dillon Road. That's where I've seen them and they are not scared off by me....doggie is never off leash in that area in the am or at night even though that portion of the trail is an off leash trail. I hear them on the trail going towards South Public Road but I've never seen them.

They used to roam the neighborhoods in LA on trash night and they'd steal a cat or small dog occassionally but they were more interested in trash.

pin 'er up
    [QUOTE=weimie]Coyotes around where we are probably won't bother people but they are very interested in my dog when a pack is close by. QUOTE]

I won't even joke about this. Good point weimie, on GM last year they got a few big dogs WITH owners close-by...very sad actually.
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Dogs off leash are illegal and very disrespectful to other trail users
    Funny, my dog was complaining to me about all the bikers...Both being off-leash and their failure to yield...BASTARDOS...

Rolling
    Maybe we could transplant them to a prairie dog colony that I pass through on my commute twice-a-day. I'm getting tired of dodging them critters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I can't say definitively but my anecdotal evidence says that coyotes are skittish creatures who run from people. Coyote/Hairylegs encounters were a pretty regular thing when I lived in LA and I never saw one that wanted anything to do with me. Their fight or flight instinct seems pretty hardwired towards flight when it comes to people.

A pack still sounds spooky when you're riding by yourself at night.

Rolling
    PDF on SoCal Incidents. Mostly with small dogs. You would think they would rampant in Beverly Hills with that food supply, and jewels in the scat.

http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/awm/do...oteattacks.pdf

I see a solitary one by twin lakes in Gunbarrel every so often and there is a pack that lives in a field near there and they have a howl fest quite often late in the evening. We have fox out in the area too.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-29-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Outcast
    Send all your coyotes up my way. I've got some, but not enough. I've got a list a mile long of neighbors who leave their focking barking dogs out all night and all weekend, barking barkingbarking. Obviously, they don't want their animals. The coyotes would be doing everyone a favor.

friend of Apex

Wanted

If you see this guy, report him IMMEDIATELY. He has been seen strolling off - leash all over the state. He should be locked - up, like murderers and rapists
    KinCOtrail.jpg
    He has been known to travel with a dark and evil companian
    TuxCOtrail.jpg
    These two are endangering lives and should not be approached, as they tend not to yield right of way, they may also chase squirels, and pee on bushes.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Inflexable...
    Wiley is a very cowardly canine unless there are many of them. We used to chase them in San Diego whenever we came upon them. I think they have learned that we are their preditors and they generally search for something they know they can take.

These guys keep patrolling my back yard...

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Living the High Life
    Man, that's kinda scary for dog owners. I don't have one, but my sister is even newer to the front range, less than a year, and I'll make sure she's aware when she brings her doberman with us into the mountians.

I wonder how often mt lions get coyotes. And I wonder what a few coyotes would do to someone with a few German Shepards or rottweilers.

MTB B'dos
    Man, those are two beautiful looking specimens. Definitely look like they've been eating all right.

Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Wiley is a very cowardly canine unless there are many of them. We used to chase them in San Diego whenever we came upon them. I think they have learned that we are their preditors and they generally search for something they know they can take.

These guys keep patrolling my back yard...

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Ever wonder why it's called "Coyote Ridge"

Because this is the west. They're everywhere. I can't believe you haven't seem them till now schnauzers. It's a rare ride that I don't see or hear a coyote at dusk. Once the howling gets going though , you'll usually hear 6-12 "reply's".

Like Mtn. Lions they are opportunistic feeders and relish the easy pickin's of small suburban "yap" dogs.

mtbr member
    Very timely thread! I went out this evening around 7:00 pm for a quick spin around the local greenbelt with the dog (Wadsworth and Yale, which is not out in the boonies). He's not a little yap dog, either, but a 55 lb, fairly fit border collie mix. I figured a bike with a nice bright headlight would keep the local wildlife away.

We were on our way back after about 20 minutes, when I realized I couldn't hear his dog tags jingling along behind me any more. Just as I started whistling for him I heard him snarling. Turned around and saw a coyote slinking away down the trail. She stopped about 30 feet away and stood there watching until I ran at her and shouted and she snuck off into the bushes.

We went on but I made sure he stayed right by my side. About 100 yards further on, he started growling again and when I looked back the damn coyote was maybe 20 feet behind us again! I chased her off again and we got back to the street intact, but I heard at least three of them howling as we were heading back to civilization. Now I'm thinking they were hoping for a meal of dog- guess I'll be riding by myself after dark from now on.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast