mtbr member

Write up on dismatling a moutain bike?

Hey guys, noob here, apoligize if Ive missed the thread somewhere but I tried searching first.

Anyways, I dont like big brand names plastered all over my stuff and I want to take the whole bike apart and strip the paint off the frame. I dont have much experience with building bicyles or taking them apart so I was looking for a walkthrough of the process. I have lots of experience with working on scooters and cars so I do have those abilities.

Oh, my buddy used to be a bike mechanic so he's going to help me get it tuned once it's all ready to go back together.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by 0001 0 00001
    Anyways, I dont like big brand names plastered all over my stuff and I want to take the whole bike apart and strip the paint off the frame. I dont have much experience with building bicyles or taking them apart so I was looking for a walkthrough of the process. I have lots of experience with working on scooters and cars so I do have those abilities.

Oh, my buddy used to be a bike mechanic so he's going to help me get it tuned once it's all ready to go back together.
    Dismantling is easy.. it's the reassembly part that will get you.

I'd recommend the Barnett's Manual if you want to rebuild it yourself and also continue to do your own bike maintenance. You will most likely end up having to get at least a few bike specific tools, specifically for your cranks and your headset cups.

If you're not interested in being your own mechanic though, and this is going to be a one time thing, I'd just have your LBS help you out. Considering it's a fully built bike (no cables or steerer tube to cut, no wheels to build) they shouldn't charge much for just stripping it down putting it back together after.

mtbr member
    Thanks thump. I guess that will be a last resort considering its price. Maybe the library will have a copy.

Is there an online write up that might suffice?

mtbr member
    Just watch how CSU dismantles CU this weekend and take notes.

..ouch
    Thanks thump. I guess that will be a last resort considering its price. Maybe the library will have a copy.

Is there an online write up that might suffice?
    Try the Park Tools website. This will probably get you through most of it:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=132

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Just watch how CSU dismantles CU this weekend and take notes.
    nice

Which way? Uphill.
    Hey guys, noob here, apoligize if Ive missed the thread somewhere but I tried searching first.

Thanks
    Anyone else think this sounds like something a bike thief would say?
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    Anyone else think this sounds like something a bike thief would say?
    yea, sounds a little fishy. can't you just take the stickers off the frame rather than stripping the whole bike?

Inflexable...

Thanks
    If your buddy is a bike mechanic, or used to be, I don't see the problem...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Well, Im in Louisville, he's up in Summit county... So I said I'd get it all taken apart down here if he'd help me put it back together and tune it next time i go up (which I knew would be the hard part)...

Oh, Thanks for the link Thump.
    Last edited by 0001 0 00001; 08-29-2007 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    yea, sounds a little fishy. can't you just take the stickers off the frame rather than stripping the whole bike?
    seriously. come to think of it, why go through peeling stickers when I could just rattle can it and call it a day? thanks for the welcome...

i get that bike theft is a problem but im just not a rolling advertisement.. and aesthetics wise Ive grown to like bikes without graphics on them.. so thats why ive always wanted to take one apart and do my own thing...
    Last edited by 0001 0 00001; 08-29-2007 at 01:45 PM.

respect the wildlife
    The tools you need cost more than that book. The Park website is really good... but since you've not done it before you'll save a lot of frustration, bloody knuckles and stripped threads by showing up in Summit County with a fully intact bike and a case of beer.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob
    The tools you need cost more than that book. The Park website is really good... but since you've not done it before you'll save a lot of frustration, bloody knuckles and stripped threads by showing up in Summit County with a fully intact bike and a case of beer.
    He's not having to build a bike from scratch, just get the frame stripped, so aside from a good set of allen wrenches, the only thing he should need is the right bottom bracket tool, a chain tool (if the rear triangle is solid) and possibly a crank puller. The headset cups can be gently tapped out with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

Absolutely agree about the knuckles and frustration, but my opinion is that if you're going to seriously ride, you should learn to wrench everything yourself when needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    He's not having to build a bike from scratch, just get the frame stripped, so aside from a good set of allen wrenches, the only thing he should need is the right bottom bracket tool, a chain tool (if the rear triangle is solid) and possibly a crank puller. The headset cups can be gently tapped out with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

Absolutely agree about the knuckles and frustration, but my opinion is that if you're going to seriously ride, you should learn to wrench everything yourself when needed.
    ya that's about it. And the only thing you have to really worry about is the bottom bracket threads. If you mess those up you can ruin the frame. But like thump said a set of allens, crank puller , bottom bracket tool and chain breaker. You can leave your headset cups in and just mask them off if you wanted.