mtbr member
    Apr 2007

WP, Keystone, Sol Vista...beyond??

I'm planning to fly into Denver early next week. I am planning on camping, preferably free camping. I ride a hardtail, basically into XC but I'm used to riding purpose built trails in Scotland with jumps, berms and small drops. Are places like WP and Keystone exclusively Down Hill? What can I expect? Winter Park is also apparently closed does that mean there are still trails around it I can ride or is it best left alone? Help me out here, I'm reliant on public transport and don't want to get stuck somewhere with nothing to ride. Any advice much appreciated.

Slopestyle Rider
    You can still ride most of the trails at WP. The downhill is closed to all traffic, but that probably doesn't matter to you anyway. The resort is closed but the uphill/XC trails are usually always open to the public as it is public land anyway.

mtbr member
    Second riding up WP since the resort is now closed. Lots of fun stuff outside the resort as well.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Keystone is a little of everything. They have awesome DH trails, but also very fun blues and greens (more like normal trail riding than the DH trails). You could ride all of the DH trails on a hardtail if you've got skills, but you will be slower. You can always walk around any section that looks like it's too much. Bear in mind that they are only open on the 15th and 16th next week and then the lifts are closed for the season. Theoretically though, the resort is on National Forest land and you can ride up the mountain roads and down the singletrack after the lifts are closed.

I have never ridden Winter Park, but I do know they claim 600 miles of singletrack in the Fraiser Valley, 90% of which is not lift serviced so you should be able to find tons of stuff to ride.

I do not know how long Sol Vista will be open, but they do have a race on the 15th-16th. Sol Vista is private land so when they are closed, the trails will likely be closed too.

What kind of public transportation are you planning on? Getting from point A to point B isn't as easy as in Europe so hopefully you've done your homework already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

thanks

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I will fly into Denver and get the Amtrak to Fraser Valley and take it from there. Any good camping spots or places for a beer?

Slopestyle Rider
    The Pub in WP. Camping... there is a ton of free camping all around WP.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    You could ride all of the DH trails on a hardtail if you've got skills, but you will be slower.
    Ooooo, that sounds like a challenge!

I accept!

This weekend? You'll have to call me, my old cell died and I lost your number!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Le Breuilly
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking I will fly into Denver and get the Amtrak to Fraser Valley and take it from there. Any good camping spots or places for a beer?
    Consider the Rocky Mountain Inn and Hostel rather than camping. Camping in and around Winter Park would be a hassle without a car. Also, they turn the water off in the Forest Service campgrounds pretty soon. The hostel is very convenient to Amtrak and a short ride on quiet roads to lots of good singletrack. It's also a very, very nice place.