mtbr member
    Apr 2005

WP or Keystone for second time downhill with son (and bike rental)

Taking my son up tomorrow for his second time downhilling. Went to winter park 2 years ago and he did the 101 class. Just want to rent bikes and get lift tickets this time. Which is a better option in terms of runs and equipment rental for a 14 year old (and a 43 year old) with limited downhill exposure? Thanks!

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Winter Park would be a better choice, in my opinion. My son(15) and myself(40) had season passes at WP for 2 years, it's a great place to build some skills. This year we moved over to Keystone and put those skills to use. Overall WP is way smoother and allot less technical.

<100%
    Don't count out Granby Bike Park....errr Sol Vista.....uhhh Silver Creek.....

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I agree with Shawn, but I also agree with jsj3831. Winter Park definitely offers the best introduction to downhill in terms of trail progression and the rental experience--especially when combined with a lesson.

That being said, Sol Vista (or Granby Bike Ranch) would be a great choice too. The advantages there are 1) the trails are way less crowded than Winter Park 2) the trails are short so you can do multiple runs on the same trail and really work on getting them dialed and 3) way more aggressive black trails than WP for once your son is starting to get the feel of DH.

As much as I love Keystone, it is definitely a more advanced mountain and I think you would be better off at either WP or SV.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Winter Park, for all of the above reasons and renting bikes at Keystone is a hassle. At Winter Park you walk in rent what you need and buy the lift ticket at the same place(as a package deal), Keystone on the other hand you rent at one of the 2 bike shops in the village, if you want armor that costs more, then you cruise down to the ticket office and pick up your lift ticket (did I mention that the half day rental starts at 9 but the lift doesn't open until 10?) then head back to the bike shop to tell the guy you just rented the bikes from that no way in hell are you bringing the bike back at 1:00. I was not amused, I usually have my own bike at Winter Park but have had countless friends rent and it always went really smoothly. Can't speak for the rental experience at Sol Vista or whatever they are calling it this week but the trails are fun and way more gnarly than anything at WP.

Having said all that you will be rocking a bike park with your kid, sounds like you win no matter where you pick!
    Feels like an Arby's night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks to all! WP it was and a great experience all the way around (rental and trail choice). I've ridden the trails several times, but always on my 29er and renting the DH bike put things in a whole new light. Not sure if it was the armor or the bike, but I grew some balls I didn't know I still had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss View Post
    Thanks to all! WP it was and a great experience all the way around (rental and trail choice). I've ridden the trails several times, but always on my 29er and renting the DH bike put things in a whole new light. Not sure if it was the armor or the bike, but I grew some balls I didn't know I still had.
    It was the Armor and the Bike, not to mention I think WP has the best trails around for the competent XC biker to really progress into the DH side of the sport.
    Feels like an Arby's night.