Thread: Wow...I suck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wow...I suck.

Took my second ride. Did the Apex trail. It was icy, but it really didn't matter. I am WAY slow. I had runners passing me uphill. The lack of strength prevented me from tackling the tougher uphill sections. I hope the nice weather down here holds up, so I can get the darn legs back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtomasik
    Took my second ride. Did the Apex trail. It was icy, but it really didn't matter. I am WAY slow. I had runners passing me uphill. The lack of strength prevented me from tackling the tougher uphill sections. I hope the nice weather down here holds up, so I can get the darn legs back.
    Don't worry. I lived in Utah for 2 years before moving out here. I started riding there. I thought I was pretty good. The first trail in Colorado that I rode was apex. It nearly killed me the first time; I'd never ridden anything like it before. I must've gotten knocked off my bike 30 times on the climb.
    I still get passed by trail-runners climbing, particularly in technical areas. It's a lot easier for them to maintain a constant speed through the rough stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Just think of it this way - the worse you suck, the faster you will improve.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    Don't worry. I lived in Utah for 2 years before moving out here. I started riding there. I thought I was pretty good. The first trail in Colorado that I rode was apex. It nearly killed me the first time; I'd never ridden anything like it before. I must've gotten knocked off my bike 30 times on the climb.
    I still get passed by trail-runners climbing, particularly in technical areas. It's a lot easier for them to maintain a constant speed through the rough stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks for the kind words. But, two years ago I used to ride this stuff regularly. I got pretty good, especially uphill. It's just discouraging knowing what you can do and what time away has reduced yourself to. I want my old legs back!

Oh, even the downhill was a struggle. I'm used to my MX bike (a YZ-426), and between my calves dying (standing on the pedals) and my over-powering the much lighter bicycle (turns and brakes), my downhill was about as smooth as a fat ladies butt (yanno...cellulite and all).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Just think of it this way - the worse you suck, the faster you will improve.
    I think Ariel Sharon, in his present condition, would've given me a hard time.

mtbr member

Good job!

don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I rode the hogback yesterday and had probably one of the worst rides of my life. If I had a gun I would've shot myself.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I rode the hogback yesterday and had probably one of the worst rides of my life. If I had a gun I would've shot myself.
    I do notice one thing about mountain bikers...they're much more civilized. If I made this comment (about my stinking it up) on a dirtbike forum, they'd have eaten me alive.

I haven't done the hogback in years. I think I rode it maybe twice, total. They've added that switchback on the C-470 side (across from Green Mountain, just south of Thunder Valley), and it looked like an ok climb.

I'm headed out to north Table Mountain tomorrow at lunch. I wanna be hammering Mount Falcon by March, weather permitting.

mtbr member

Good job!

I do notice one thing about mountain bikers...they're much more civilized. If I made this comment (about my stinking it up) on a dirtbike forum, they'd have eaten me alive.

I haven't done the hogback in years. I think I rode it maybe twice, total. They've added that switchback on the C-470 side (across from Green Mountain, just south of Thunder Valley), and it looked like an ok climb.

I'm headed out to north Table Mountain tomorrow at lunch. I wanna be hammering Mount Falcon by March, weather permitting.
    That trail is called Zorro. Pretty easy climb 2 switchbacks, tight but do-able. The steps at the top are tough.
    Word is that Falcon is quite ridable. From Castle to the top, including Old Ute and Devil's elbow.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Team Cspine

Are you...

...the crazy b@stard that was riding down the east side of N. Table Mountain Wednesday just after dusk with 2 lights on?
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just to chime in - Evergreen is totally ridable. Went from the lake (whatever that ice skate & golf course area up stream) to the top of Mt Evergreen had total 10 ft of snow or so. Totally ridable 11 mile lolipop loop. Good training ride. Better than Apex or GM.

Myer had too much shiny ice, I quit trying.

How about Lair to Pence?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Just to chime in - Evergreen is totally ridable. Went from the lake (whatever that ice skate & golf course area up stream) to the top of Mt Evergreen had total 10 ft of snow or so. Totally ridable 11 mile lolipop loop. Good training ride. Better than Apex or GM.

How about Lair to Pence?
    Never did that ride. Sounds cool...I'll have to hook up with someone and go try it. I did Bergen Peak (?) once. That was kinda neat...but too many hikers.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hatake

How about Lair to Pence?
    On Sunday the ranger at lotb, said there was about .25 mi of SLIPPERY ice, but otherwise it was good.
    I agree that Evergreen is in fine shape rode it Saturday from Dedisse.

mtbr member

the crazy b@stard that was riding

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob
    ...the crazy b@stard that was riding down the east side of N. Table Mountain Wednesday just after dusk with 2 lights on?
    Thank,
    It was a good ride. I have been doing it frequently from my house in downtown Golden.
    Get some tights and lights and hit the trails. Between North Table, South Table Mountain, Bear Creek park and Green Mountain there must be 100+ miles of trails open without snow most of the year. Especially now that it has been so warm. Good times to be had. I am just wondering when someone will try to stop me from riding for some truly crazy reason.
    If I see someone else out at night other than on Green Mountain I will try to post a group night ride.
    "People are as happy as they decide to be."
    Abraham Lincoln

Members who have read this thread: 0