Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winter Shoes

Heads up Flyboy!!

Winter Shoes

Who's got what, what's your experience with em and where are you buying? I'm trying to stay under $250, $200 if possible. I really like the look and specs of those new 45NRTH's that are coming out in December but $345 is steep for shoes, I don't care if they are the bestest, warmest things eva!!

I've done the booty thing since I started riding. I'm tired of buying them every season, tired of snow packing em up when I'm hiking up the hills, tired of trying to fit my big ol boat's into em.

So far I'm looking at the:

Shimano MW81....probably my number 1 choice so far

Lake MX302 but it seems they've pulled out of the US so finding a pair is getting difficult especially in my size which would be 47-48.

Northwave Celsius Arctic

Louis Garneau Zero degree Ergo Grip

Got any others I should be considering or thoughts on those above?

Heads up Flyboy!!

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've had the Lake winter cycling boots for several years now and love them. It looks like stage-race.com picked up distributing them in the US, but their online store is not up yet. Might try contacting them and see where you can order them from now ( sales@stage-race.com 607-342-2083 ) ... I have about the same size foot as you and wasn't sure which size to get, and they (Lake) even let me send them back for a bigger pair. Great service and support and product.

I'm with stupid
    I have lakes, That said if you do order them make sure you order at least 1 plus size. I have ski's for feet (long and skinny) and I even find the toe box to be a bit tighter then other shoes the same size.
    I also have a set of shimano shoes that are 4 sizes to big and I wear those with a set of patagonia neoprene socks. that go inside the shoe but it has to be silly cold for those.

old skool newbie
    So glad you asked. I have been waiting for someone to ask how I like my new boots

I have been coveting these for quite a few years and saw them on Nashbar for under 2 bills. Love em so far. No more duct-tape patched, neoprene, snow collecting, busted zipper, shoe covers!

Lake MXZ302 Winter Mountain Shoes - Lake
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    So glad you asked. I have been waiting for someone to ask how I like my new boots

I have been coveting these for quite a few years and saw them on Nashbar for under 2 bills. Love em so far. No more duct-tape patched, neoprene, snow collecting, busted zipper, shoe covers!

Lake MXZ302 Winter Mountain Shoes - Lake
    Man, I wished they had em in my size. I'm a 46 in Specialized and comparing I think a 47 wide would work in Lakes but so dern'd hard to find my size.

JSD303, I'll check out that other company...thinking real hard about the Northwave Arctic's too

old skool newbie
    Just noticed that Nashbar don't have your size Goat. Sorry.
    My personal preference is to have the shoe come way above the ankle and no snow trapping straps.

mtbr member
    I have Specialized Defrosters and they do pretty well. For serious cold, I have to wear liners and a good smart wool sock or the like, but otherwise, they're great (and Specialized shoes just fit me really well). I went with my same size and they have a little room inside for extra socks. The Lakes look beefier, though.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with neoprene shoe covers coupled with silk liner socks and wool socks over those. If the temps are really cold I'll slip on neoprene socks.*

*Didn't read your full post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    if you know your size, go used. I picked up a pair of Answer Kashmir clogs on fleabay a few years back for maybe ~$50.

In my experience, the coldest part is the bottom of the shoe but nothing a thicker insole can't overcome. I too have big feetses (and ladies you know what that means ) and I've worn out the inside ankle cuffs from rubbing on my crank (yeah, I'm almost blind) and frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just bought the Lakes in 47 wide from Nashbar. I got them down to $159 with further discounts.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Who's got what, what's your experience with em and where are you buying?
    Northwave Celsius Arctic
    This. Got a pair last year. Cyclist usually sells out of these quickly. They fit wider feet very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    This. Got a pair last year. Cyclist usually sells out of these quickly. They fit wider feet very well.
    Same here and I'm really happy with them.

friend of Apex
    I used these on Sunday (temp in the low 30's, wind) and I was quite happy not having knumb feet

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Now older but less slow!
    I've recently got the Shimano MW81 for a bargain $130 (last pair in store and in my size). I've yet to try them out as I've yet to go out in cold weather but from a construction and form basis they look like very nice shoes. I plan on heading out for a night ride tomorrow night so I'll let you know how toasty my feet are....

Bad Andy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Got any others I should be considering?
    Shittles must be in Europe or something.
    Everyone else is just slacking off.

Guess I will have to post it if no one else is, but I am too lazy.

So, imagine this:

{picture of ski boots}

{picture of snowboard boots}

And/or

{picture of snowshoes}

Schipperkes are cool.
    Not warm: Shimano WInter/Pear Izumi/ Sidi/Specy Defrosters 1st Gen, Answer Kashmirs, Lake MXZ302: Warmest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

old skool newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    Shittles must be in Europe or something.
    Everyone else is just slacking off.

Guess I will have to post it if no one else is, but I am too lazy.

So, imagine this:

{picture of ski boots}

{picture of snowboard boots}

And/or

{picture of snowshoes}
    lol

I did it all for the kudo
    These are what I've been using. They are not designed for just wearing in the winter, but more of a three season shoe. They are quite warm when I wear them with wool socks and are waterproof.
    I also have always been known for having cold toes and these seem to work pretty well.

wiggle.com | Buy Shimano MT71 GoreTex SPD Touring Shoes

mtbr member
    Rock the flat pedals in the winter and wear whatever the conditions call for. 5/10's usually keep the feet nice and cozy and you can wear gators with them if you need to. Way more options with the flats for way less money and hassle.
    Somebody better get me a stamp...I'm gonna send it

Heads up Flyboy!!
    After talking to Short Bus about wiggle.com, I ordered a set of the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter Boots along with some other winter stuff I needed. Short Bus said their customer service is spot on and he's never received customs fees ordering through them.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Option that is brand new, 45NRTH
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    Thanks for the reminder thread. I missed the window on winter shoes last year, as I have a common size and they sold out quickly. I ordered a pair yesterday, and they are showing up on my door today.

mtbr member
    Holy Cr*p! Those 45NRTH boots are ridiculous! That's some iditabike kinda gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    support your lbs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast