Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Winter Shoes

mtbr member
    double post - sorry
    Last edited by calzonical; 12-13-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: double post - removed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    ...Have you ever tried a vapor barrier?
    Funny you should mention that. UPS just dropped off the sock order from Cabela's. Ordered Mid-weight and light weight Ingenius socks. these socks look promising.

I have tried seal skins before and ended up with squishy sox and cold feet. Hopefully the ingenius socks will fit the bill.

Awesomist™
    Do any of you shoe nerds know the difference between the Northwave Celsius and the Northwave Celsius Arctic shoes?

wiggle.com | Northwave Celsius GTX (Gore-Tex) Winter MTB Boots | Offroad Shoes
    wiggle.com | Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX (Gore-Tex) Winter MTB Boots | Offroad Shoes

Is it the Arctic that has the fleecey lining and the regular Celsius does not? Thinking the regular Celsius might be enough for me, since my regular shoes are pretty decent most of the time, but the Gore-Tex and tall-ness would be nice for tromping in snow... as you do.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Do any of you shoe nerds know the difference between the Northwave Celsius and the Northwave Celsius Arctic shoes?

wiggle.com | Northwave Celsius GTX (Gore-Tex) Winter MTB Boots | Offroad Shoes
    wiggle.com | Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX (Gore-Tex) Winter MTB Boots | Offroad Shoes

Is it the Arctic that has the fleecey lining and the regular Celsius does not? Thinking the regular Celsius might be enough for me, since my regular shoes are pretty decent most of the time, but the Gore-Tex and tall-ness would be nice for tromping in snow... as you do.
    Correct. The Arctic's are what I have with the fleece liners. Have ridden down to 30 degrees so far with standard defeet summer socks and had toasty toes.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Backcountry.com is running a 20% off sale that includes the Northwaves. Good size selection for the Celsius GTX, pretty limited selection for the Arctics. Free 2-day shipping and very liberal return policy.

I purchased a pair of the non-Arctic's before the sale started and Backcountry refunded me the 20% today. Tomorrow morning will be my maiden voyage with the Northwaves. Thanks to MGE and rest of you peeps that contributed to this thread for convincing me to finally make the plunge!

My cup runneth over
    Picked up a pair of Artics myself but gave them to my wife to get me for Christmas. Luckily not too cold yet so haven't had to unwrap and rewrap them but been tempted.

Goat of Legend
    North Wave Arctic Celcuis winter riding shoes getting the ultimate test. 23 degrees out, shoes in water up to my ankles. Feet were still warm and dry after 5 minutes of being submerged.

P1090490

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    North Wave Arctic Celcuis winter riding shoes getting the ultimate test. 23 degrees out, shoes in water up to my ankles. Feet were still warm and dry after 5 minutes of being submerged.

P1090490
    Pics or it didn't happen...

Edit... Fuggin tappatalk didnt show the pick.

Word up Goat!
    Last edited by Jaydude; 12-31-2012 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member

P1090490
    Why? Were they dirty?

Chronic 1st-timer
    My feets has been warmer since Christmas.

Seems the Mrs was quite pleased with all my home remodeling efforts recently.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Idshooter View Post
    Why? Were they dirty?
    Cause there was a creek...it had to be crossed. It was this or pavement. I'll take this!

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen...

Edit... Fuggin tappatalk didnt show the pick.

Word up Goat!
    Word!

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    My feets has been warmer since Christmas.

Seems the Mrs was quite pleased with all my home remodeling efforts recently.
    Those look sweet!

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Winter Shoes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357135825.100803.jpg
    Winter Shoes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357135985.648505.jpg
    Have about ten rides w/ mavic drifts size 11.5 normally wear 46 or 47 w/ other mfgrs. Most comfortable MTB shoes ever for me. Cold protection is great been using with medium-light Costco merino wool socks.
    Anticipating durability will be great toe region has nice rubber for protection, inside of heel looks solid too.
    Realizing gaiters of some sort should be used on every hike a bike trail shoe. So nice not getting rocks twigs in the shoe during the ride.

Now older but less slow!
    I did a solid 2 1/2 hour ride yesterday in temps around 20F and some trudging through snow with my Shimano MW81s. I have also added the 45North Jaztronaut Aerogel Insole to these. The insole is amazing. It keeps the bottom of my feet nice and toasty.

The tops of my feet got chilled after about an hour but remained comfortable until the two hour mark when I ran out of energy and my whole core body temp took a dump .

So the Shimano boots, while not the warmest, are warm enough. They're a huge improvement over my normal shoes. The 45North insole is amazing to I am real interest in how an entire boot made from this stuff would be. Super warm I'm sure...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anyone with the Northwave Celsius GTX have sizing comments?

I usually wear about a size 12, 46 or 47...not sure which size to get?

I need a wide toebox which it seems like these have.

Thanks,

Peter

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhively View Post

Thanks,

Peter
    I purchased my Northwave Celsius in 45, same size as my non-winter Specialized shoes ( and most other shoes i wear), and they're a good fit. They do have a wide toe box. Reviews
    I've read suggest you don't have to size up, which turned out to be true for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks very much!

Peter

mtbr member

Thanks,

Peter
    With winter shoes I always go larger so I can use really thick socks. My Northwaves are a size larger then my normal bike shoes.

Goat of Legend

Thanks,

Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    With winter shoes I always go larger so I can use really thick socks. My Northwaves are a size larger then my normal bike shoes.
    Double Pulser's comment. I wear a 46 in Specialized. Went 47 in the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX. A little loose when wearing just a summer pair of wool socks and when it gets really cold I can fit a pair of snowboard socks or a pair of summer wools and a pair of Medium weight Sealskinz. Most who ride in seriously cold weather go with this thought as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys! Not really cold here, but definitely need plenty of room for the toes, so will go up.

My cup runneth over

P1090490
    Thanks for posting this – I didn’t realize they were waterproof until you posted and yesterday I got to an unexpected water crossing that wasn’t rideable and I would have had to either go back or hop the rocks – Hopping the rocks worked out well and feet stayed dry. Pretty impressed with these shoes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3