Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Winter Shoes

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Thanks for the reminder thread. I missed the window on winter shoes last year, as I have a common size and they sold out quickly. I ordered a pair yesterday, and they are showing up on my door today.
    Update - Shoes received. Nice quality, and I like the lacing / velcro system. I have a pair of size 44 NWave road bike shoes and order a 45 in these. With a mid-thickness sock on, they fit really well. I'll be anxious to see if these cure my always frozen feet on winter rides.

Team Inflexible
    LBS had them on sale so just got me a pair of Spesh Defrosters. Have high hopes for em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Who's got what, what's your experience with em and where are you buying? I'm trying to stay under $250, $200 if possible. I really like the look and specs of those new 45NRTH's that are coming out in December but $345 is steep for shoes, I don't care if they are the bestest, warmest things eva!!

I've done the booty thing since I started riding. I'm tired of buying them every season, tired of snow packing em up when I'm hiking up the hills, tired of trying to fit my big ol boat's into em.

So far I'm looking at the:

Shimano MW81....probably my number 1 choice so far

Lake MX302 but it seems they've pulled out of the US so finding a pair is getting difficult especially in my size which would be 47-48.

Northwave Celsius Arctic

Louis Garneau Zero degree Ergo Grip

Got any others I should be considering or thoughts on those above?
    The pearl Izumi barrier have been proven better then all except the lake's, I'm from nj and just moved here this spring so can't give you snow details but i have used them in the 20's with one pair of sock guy wool socks and they worked great, again this was in nj so if your walking in snow might be a little different. You can pick there up for 150-175 easy on the web.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    support your lbs
    Wait...didn't u suggest fleabay a few post above? But if it helps the hurt Bunghole I tried my regular shop and 5 others before I went with Wiggle.com

Now older but less slow!
    I took my first ride with the Shimano MW81 shoes last night. Temps dropped to low 40s which would make my feet numb in my old shoes.

My feet size is between a 44 and a 45. My old Pearl Izumi shoes were a 44 and a bit snug. I ordered replacement PI shoes in at 45 and I think they are a better fit - guess my feet have spread out through age LOL. For the MW81 I sized up to a 46 to allow room for thicker/layered socks and heating pad.

Last night I wore just a thin wool sock. There was a bit of free play in the boot for my feet but it wasn't bothersome. It should be fine when I get to colder temps and layer up. I found that my feet could feel a chill (they certainly weren't toasty) but again it was not a big deal and they were otherwise comfortable. They may not be the warmest boot out there but I think they will do just fine. Considering that I got them cheap I can't complain. For temps in the low 40s I know I can wear a thicker pair of wool socks I have and my feet will slip less inside the boot and stay warmer. For temps down to the teans (I don't tend to ride if it is less than 10F) I have room for layering/heat pad options.

One thing that was annoying with the boot is that the cleat placement is further back on the sole than one my Pearl Izumi shoes. I had some difficulty engaging my feet to the pedals as the cleats weren't where I expected them to be. I can't adjust them any further forward. I'm used to the cleat under the ball of the foot but this is more under the arch. I guess over time I'll learn where it is and for winter riding it's not like I'm going for Strava times so I guess it's less critical.

On the whole I am pleased with the boot but if your preference is for absolute warmth you may need to look else where.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 10-12-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I took my first ride with the Shimano MW81 shoes last night. Temps dropped to low 40s which would make my feet numb in my old shoes.
    Wow, you get cold feet easily! I rode last night with the TITS crew. Just wore my regular shoes and socks. Feet never got cold. I usually start wearing thicker wool socks when it drops into the low 40's/high 30's, snowboard socks and regular shoes in the mid 30's and then when it drops into the low 30's/ high 20's I add booties and have ridden in the booties by performance with my regular shoes and snowboard socks down to the single digits.

I'm hoping the Northwave Celsius Arctic's I ordered will get my down to the teens with the sealskinz waterproof socks I ordered at the same time.

Now older but less slow!
    ^^^^ I must have poor circulation or something.

My old shoes I would ride in temps down to 7F. But the ride length was dictated by foot sensation. After about 1/2 hour they would start going numb. A hour they would just hurt/burn. After 90 minutes I would lose all sensation. Time to end the ride.

My old shoes weren't good winter shoes. I expect a lot better this year! The old shoes were too tight and probably cut off the circulation when I layered up. No worries with the new boots.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    ^^^^ I must have poor circulation or something.

My old shoes I would ride in temps down to 7F. But the ride length was dictated by foot sensation. After about 1/2 hour they would start going numb. A hour they would just hurt/burn. After 90 minutes I would lose all sensation. Time to end the ride.

My old shoes weren't good winter shoes. I expect a lot better this year! The old shoes were too tight and probably cut off the circulation when I layered up. No worries with the new boots.
    Might be but it is true that each person and their body responds differently to cold. I'm 205 lbs and during the Goat's Fall Tour my body temp was fluctuating all over the place. I kept having to shed and put on clothes where it seemed 130 lb slow was able to just wear shorts and a wicking tshirt and just put a light jacket on every once in a while. Later in the year though as my body adapts to the cold I seem to do better until the next Fall/winter season rolls around.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Ordered my shoes and some other stuff from Wiggle.com late Tuesday evening, might as well call it early Wednesday Morning. I expected my stuff to take about two weeks since Wiggle is in the UK and I used the free shipping but I got a text from my wife today my stuff had arrived around noon.

I foresee warm, dry feet this riding season wether there be snow, single digit temps, freezing rain, hail or all of the above.

1st up; Northwave Celsius Artic GTX winter MTB shoes: Brushed Fleece liner, goretex mid layer surrounded by a tough outer shoe with a neoprene ankle

Next up; Sealskinz waterproof socks. Merino wool liner, waterproof membrane surrounded by a tough outer layer.

These things had my feet sweating in five minutes in my 70 degree home. I'm looking forward to warm, dry feet this winter!

Northwave Celsius Artic GTX

mtbr member
    Just picked up a pair of Shimano MW81's. I normally wear a 45 in Sidi Dominators and got 47's in the Shimano's. My feet measure out right at 11 inches and I don't think the 46's would work without my toes being crammed. Haven't got a chance to test them out so I'm just commenting on the fit. Before I bought them I tried a pair of Shimano road shoes at a Lbs and the 45's fit me perfect but after reading about the MW81's and how they were sized different I went up 2 sizes and that ended up being perfect. Will post back after my first outing.

mtbr member
    I've taken my Shimano MW81's out in temps from 28 degrees to 45. Only wore 1 pair of Defeet Woolie Boolie socks and my feet were perfect for the whole ride out for up to 2 hours. It's so nice not having to layer the crap out of my feet and feeling like I'm wearing cement shoes. Well worth the money.

Now older but less slow!
    I've been riding my Shimano MW81 in night time temps in the mid 30s. I've worn them with two pair of lightweight wool socks. While my feet have not been toasty there were nonetheless comfortable for 3+ hour rides.

They may not be the warmest boot but they'll do me. One thing I did notice is that my sock under the neoprene cuff gets damp (presumably from sweat). I don't notice it though until I take the boot off.

friend of Apex
    Anyone know if/when Lakes are gonna come back?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Anyone know if/when Lakes are gonna come back?
    Na man but just get yourself of the Northwave Celsius Arctic's and forget your feetsies being cold. Rode the road bike on Bear Creek Canyon near Sunset tonight. Going downhill at 30 + mph at 34 degrees and my feet were toasty with just a pair of thin Defeet socks on. Best investment for the feet, ever!!

Ride Everything
    If anyone is looking for some lightly-used MW80s in size 45, let me know...
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

friend of Apex
    So I found the Lakes on eBay, here

looks like they are about $100 more than the other 2 options I have

a) Mavic Drift available at Redstone.

b) Northwave Celsius Artic GTX Winter Bike Shoe available from the internet

So, are Lakes worth the extra cost?
    they sure look a bit burlier

I'll add that my feet are exxxtremely sensitive to cold (as well as my fingers (probably from years of letting them get cold in the snow (I think I have developed Reynauds))). I have had a couple of tough days trying to keep them warm, once was using booties and toe warmers. I'm ready to pull the trigger (actually the wife will pull trigger as a X-Mas gift)

Awesomist™
    WKD, what size is your hoof? I know that Absolute Bikes in Salida has 2 pair of the Lakes in stock, both 44 I believe. Less than the link you sent, IIRC. I tried those bad larry's on and they are NICE... but 1 size too small for me.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    WKD, what size is your hoof? I know that Absolute Bikes in Salida has 2 pair of the Lakes in stock, both 44 I believe. Less than the link you sent, IIRC. I tried those bad larry's on and they are NICE... but 1 size too small for me.
    Holy shiite Full Tucker, thanks!
    Purchased in state, at a local bike shop AND they were even on sale!
    Just a few bucks moar than the other 2 options I had, so it was a no brainer.
    No moar cold toze! (just need to upgrade to some windproof gluvz)
    Free shipping, I'll have them by the weekend.

I owe you, maybe I can help break in that way-rad made-in-Colorado Guerrilla Gravity bike of yours ?
    No, I insist...
    really, its OK

and a beer

friend of Apex
    for anyone else interested, AbsoluteBikes has size 43 and 44, 1 each remaining

friend of Apex
    arrived yesterday-
    very comfy, remarkably lightweight, Vibram soul
    and WARM, like Apple pie

Chronic 1st-timer
    ...and WARM, like Apple pie

Les grimpées, je les déteste!

mtbr member
    goat - coupe of questions:

Do those GTX's have arched insoles / room for arched insoles?

How good a job does the GTX shoe release moisture from inside?

Yes, strange questions but the lake mxz302s I have came with a flat insulated insole that may be warmish but does nothing to support the foot arch. I've used these shoes for the past 5 winters with arched insoles (removed the insulated insole). After about 1.5 hrs of riding the toes begin to get cold, and it's just downhill from there. Main culprit of coldness is sweat - the lakes simply do not breathe. The material inside the shoe, appears to be neoprene, collects the sweat but does not release it very rapidly resulting in cold wet wool socks and eventually cold feet.
    Last edited by calzonical; 12-08-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: expanded upon question.

Schipperkes are cool.
    for anyone else interested, AbsoluteBikes has size 43 and 44, 1 each remaining

As of today we have 1 pair of Road Lake winter shoes in a 43. That is the last pair.

Thanks for the support!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    MGE- picked up the sealskins socks (they didn't have mid-weight any more, so I got thin)- rode with a light wool pair and then those in my Spec Defrosters yesterday and the toes were toes-ty. Good call.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Hairshirt Rider
    Cal, since the Goat is silent I'll tell you what I think.

The insoles have a wee bit of an arch like you'd find on most cycling insoles. It is a much roomier shoe than the Lakes, so plenty of room to put something different in there.

The shoe breathes OK. There is a fleecy layer inside, so as much as feet sweat, no way it is going to clear all that moisture, but it has to be better than the full enclosure of that Lake.

My feet don't do well in the cold and I'll still get cold/nuimb toes in about the same time frame as you with this shoe when temps are mid 20's and below.

Have you ever tried a vapor barrier? A running friend also suggested sticking a chemical hand or toe warmer on the back of the calf just above the Achilles (under the sock).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast