mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Winter Riding....?

I was wondering if any of you guys ride during the winter months. This year I want to see how far into winter I can ride my bike. Ive parked my vehicle since May and have been riding my bike to work. My route is the Platte River Trail. Down from Dartmouth to just passed Alameda.

What has been your experience in winter riding. Im mostly concerned about hitting a patch of ice or something like that.

mtbr member
    looking at my strava, there were 3 weeks past winter that i didnt ride at all. two of those were when i was stuck with flu/cold.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

The Notorious S.L.O
    I try to trail ride through out the winter, regardless of the snow, it has been doable thru Dec into the new year, but once we hit the thaw/refreeze cycle, the ice on the trails can become dangerous.

Never ridden any on the Platte trail in the winter, no experience.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Let's not talk of winter, I'm still in denial

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    I was wondering if any of you guys ride during the winter months. This year I want to see how far into winter I can ride my bike. Ive parked my vehicle since May and have been riding my bike to work. My route is the Platte River Trail. Down from Dartmouth to just passed Alameda.

What has been your experience in winter riding. Im mostly concerned about hitting a patch of ice or something like that.
    You'll be fine if you dress appropriately. It's Colorado 12" snow in the morning, dry by 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride year round on the Platte River Trail, though farther south from you. they keep the path pretty well cleared. I ride a cross bike and I do have studded tires for those rare days that ice is a factor. That thaw-refreeze cycle is certainly dangerous however I have always found it manageable. If there are extended rough stretches, I simply get off and walk.

I will add, that though it is rare, I am very happy I do have studded tires. There has been a time or two over the past couple years where it would have been brutal to not have them. If you are content riding through the year, I'd get a pair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ill look into those tires. Didnt know there was studded bike tires.

Good stuff guys keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I spent 4 long years in Mn and was able to ride year round, but then the cabin fever there is a lot worse. Much more to do here. I ride year round on the trails that are clear which is most of the time. The trails I ride do not need studded tires so if you are interested I have a pair of 26" Continental Spike claws, I had bought them just before my move and are in good condition. PM me if interested, I'm up in Louisville.

<100%
    Buy a set of knee pads and wear them. I also tend to use DH shorts with hip pads. Ice Happens.

mtbr member
    I ride year round. Platte has sections that are icy, they seem to do a pretty good job og getting it cleaned up. But I only ride it for fun, not commute so I don't know what it's like early A.M.

ragley blue pig x

Re: Winter Riding....?

Do you guys ride in wet winters or does the cold drive all the moisture out the air, biggest problem where I am is its both freezing and wet at the same time.
    And what clothes are you wearing I want to get into more winter riding but would need something that was waterproof AND wicks sweat away

mtbr member
    I believe in layers, I do wear a water proof outer layer jacket, but I just use carharts for the outer layer for pants. They do great at keeping out the wind/cold. That is my preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ride year round on my roadbike with 700 X 25 tires.
    Commuting to work and sometimes, weekend club rides.

LET'S RIDE, WHAT'S THAT WHITE STUFF? 1080p - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This year im hoping winter wont slow me down, planning some camping trips and maybe even building an igloo...... Woo hooo!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Do you guys ride in wet winters or does the cold drive all the moisture out the air, biggest problem where I am is its both freezing and wet at the same time.
    And what clothes are you wearing I want to get into more winter riding but would need something that was waterproof AND wicks sweat away
    You rarely need waterproof clothing--windproof is a bigger deal for me. I wear a wicking base layer (tights and a bike jersey usually) and then layer other stuff over that as needed. My two rules of thumb are 1) if you aren't cold when you start, you will soon overheat and 2) no matter how many layers you have on when you leave, always have at least one more layer lashed to your Camelbak in case it gets colder. I wear armor year round, but it really pays off in the winter because it adds warmth and you WILL be crashing if you're riding in the snow and ice.

I also keep newspaper bags (for feet) and latex gloves (for hands) in my pack for backup. They are surprisingly warm, windproof and waterproof--yet they weigh nothing and pack in a small corner of my bag. They have been the difference between having fun and not having fun on several rides.

mtbr member
    if you think you will be riding a lot in winter i would invest in winter shoes. all else you need you most likely already have.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Kidding aside, many people ride year round in Steamboat. Fat bikes on snow, studs for road rides. There is some great advise on this thread on how to do it. Just protect from the cold, and get out there. My folks live in Centennial, and I've had some great snow rides on the suburban trails. Once the snow hits, the walkers and joggers stay home and the fresh tracks on Highline canal, and Dry creek are super fun and its eerie riding these well traveled trails with no one else.

Level 5 Rider!
    Are there studs for mountain bikes that aren't road? Wouldn't mind getting out on the snow a few times during the winter if I could. Not buying a fat bike as you can tell by my sig I don't exactly have huge bike budget. lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals