mtbr member
    Sep 2007

In Winter Park this week. Advice Please.

I'm staying in WP until 6/17 and was hoping for some advice as to what trails to ride. I rode Sol Vista today, and I'll be riding Keystone on 6/15 and Trestle on 6/16. Tomorrow, I'm planning on trying to make a loop out of Tipperary, Flume, Zoom, Chainsaw and Sunken Bridges. So, I'll have Tues/Wed/Thurs to find some new rides.

Based on the WP/Fraser map, it looks like the trails I mentioned above are a big chunk of the singletrack in WP. Does that sound right? Are there any other trails or network of trails that I should try to hit up while I'm here? I'm down to ride whatever type of trail (preferably with fast, technical descents), but I'm not a particularly strong climber at this elevation. The map talks about how there are 600 miles of singletrack in the area, but that sure doesn't seem to be represented on the map itself.

Also, should I make a separate trip to Breckenridge to ride some of the singletrack out there, or just stick to WP? I talked to a couple of guys at Sol Vista who raved about Breckenridge, so I'm tempted to go out there twice (for Keystone and for some singletrack riding).

Finally, are there any other trails within 30-45 minutes of WP that I should try? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I heard Mammoth Mountain is a good place to ride !
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Go into one of the many local shops and chat with the staff. There is a lot of riding in the area that is not represented on the free map.

Be sure to give the shop a sale as a tip for the information.

Thread Terrorist
    OP. What are you looking to do? Are you trying to ride lift accessible rides or just trails in general? Your questions are a tad all over the place.

Yes, the trails you mention are in the Winter Park area.

Are you after lift assisted riding (most of the places you mention have lifts), or singletrack without big mountain resort amenities?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    splitter_66: I went into one of the bike shops and there was a lady there who seemed pretty clueless. I'll try another one. Thanks.

IndecentExposure: Sorry, I was trying to be specific with the questions, but I'll try again. I'll be doing the lift-assisted stuff this Friday and Saturday, so I was looking to find info on the following for the rest of the week:

(1) is there singletrack/trail riding in WP other than those listed on the map or which I've overlooked? If so, I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to ride.

(2) Is it worthwhile driving to Breckenridge to do some singletrack/trail riding, given that I don't know what the trails are like out there and whether I'll be able to find any good ones? If it is worthwhile going out there, again, I was hoping to get some suggestions for a trail or two. I actually already have a GPX track for the area called "Tiger Road - West Ridge Colorado Trail" that I could try out if people think that's rideable/fun.

(3) Are there other "must-do" trails within 30 minutes or so of WP that I should look into?

Like I said, I'm pretty much down to ride anything, though I prefer fast and technical descents. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Low
    I ran out of time yesterday to respond to this but hope you'll find the below helpful...
    I can only speak to #1)

I have ridden WP twice so far and love the place. There is a ton of single track up there, most of it unmapped.
    A ride I would recommend is
    Start on Creekside, up to Flume, Down Flume, Right and Up Chainsaw, at top go right on "Broken Spade" (unmapped - but you can't miss it) to the fire road, left (up) the fire road to the top of Zoom.
    At this point you will see an unmarked trail on the right (upper Iko), and a signed trail on the left, Zoom.
    I have explored a little of upper Iko but had to turn around because I was losing daylight. I liked what I found and will head back up there...

now to get back to your car...
    Start down Zoom. Go right and down the obvious trail on your right (Iko) down to the fire road.
    Go left to the trailhead, go left and up Zoom.
    Go right and up Chainsaw
    cross bridge at the bottom, stay right..

enjoy...
    There are a couple of other trails, "Leapfrog", Ho Chi Men, that I haven't found yet, but will out there this weekend looking for them.

good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heading on a fun ride in an hour. It is the phases with a small group. The phases are sick. Shoot me an email and I will give you directions. dallas.timms@gmail.com
    There are a ton of fun places to ride off the map. Ask about eye to eye and hellies nuts. Fun loop. Go to totally wired next to Alco and talk to Dougie. He will give you directions to sweet stuff

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms View Post
    Heading on a fun ride in an hour. It is the phases with a small group. The phases are sick. Shoot me an email and I will give you directions. dallas.timms@gmail.com
    There are a ton of fun places to ride off the map. Ask about eye to eye and hellies nuts. Fun loop. Go to totally wired next to Alco and talk to Dougie. He will give you directions to sweet stuff

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your post and the invite! I actually went to Breckenridge today and rode part of the Colorado trail off of Tiger Road. It was great, really fun. Also, I met someone on the trail a couple of days ago in WP who mentioned Totally Wired, and I talked to Doug who gave me directions to Leap Frog, Ho Chi Minh, Upper Iko and Iko. I rode the latter two but haven't ridden the former two yet. I have one more day of riding, so I hope to check those trails out then. Maybe I'll got talk to Doug again tomorrow about the trails you mentioned. Thanks again!

ride
    Two thumbs up for Totally Wired and Doug!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO