mtbr member
    Mar 2013

winter park trip without the dh thing

so I am going to winter park in september with wife and was wanting some advice on where to ride I see if I go to the resort I can not go up hill ?? I have a niner rip 9 and really like the horsetooth mountain park in the fort.I like technical riding and about a 10 mile ride .I am not a down hill rider but I would like to have a great ride in winter park.If the resort is the best way to go that is fine. just need some input. only have a half day to get in my ride and I am staying at beaver condos who will not let me keep my mountain bike in the condo. not happy about that.I told them my rip 9 is worth more then the car I am driving up to winter park.they do not care. But the bike shop grand sports in winter park are going to store my bike for me,very nice of them !

mtbr member
    I'm headed up there on Sun w/ my trail bike (vs my full DH bike) to flow their green and blue runs. Also, gonna climb over to Mtn Goat for a lap, and then up to Icarus to play on the Jane side...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Awesomist™

winter park trip without the dh thing

You know that bike shop that is being very nice and storing your bike for you? I'll bet they also have maps that you could purchase for all of the trails in the area, as well as employees who regularly ride all the local trails. I'm sure they would be a great source of this information for you, maybe start there?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    You know that bike shop... maps that you could purchase for all of the trails in the area, as well as employees who regularly ride all the local trails. I'm sure they would be a great source of this information for you, maybe start there?
    This is the intranets and I believe that's against the rules?!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hit the Fraser trails.

lucky enough
    Lots of good XC trail options around there - pick up a map! You can probably do a google search and find more info.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

friend of Apex
    Winter Park, and all of Grand County for that matter, are zoned for DH trails only.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    You know that bike shop that is being very nice and storing your bike for you? I'll bet they also have maps that you could purchase for all of the trails in the area, as well as employees who regularly ride all the local trails. I'm sure they would be a great source of this information for you, maybe start there?
    yea I asked the local bike shop and they told me to check the visitors center in winter park ?? and she thought there was a trial on the back side of the mountain what ever that means ?

lucky enough
    That person at the bike shop is not knowledgeable. Check out this map:
    Mountain Bike Capital USA | Winter Park & The Fraser Valley. Trail Map

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    yea I asked the local bike shop and they told me to check the visitors center in winter park ?? and she thought there was a trial on the back side of the mountain what ever that means ?
    Maybe this helps:
    Trestle® Bike Park - Trail Map & Stats
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

lucky enough

mtbr member
    There are endless, endless trails. Not super tech away from the resort, but still lots of singletrack to be had. If you want to link some trails together where you'll have lots of outs and possibilities for adding, start with Spruce Creek to Tipperary and then over to Flume and Chainsaw and Zoom- this will be about 16-20 miles depending how you put it together. Also look at the Idlewild stuff. If you want to explore more, head to Fraser and up towards Strawberry creek. The resort is only a fraction of what's available...

This is a good place to start:
    http://www.guestguidepublications.co...bike-guide.pdf
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    When you get to WP go to the Chamber of commerce (across from McD's, a short path way down from beaver condos) pick up the area map, Enjoy. There are tons of trails all over that area.

Mountain Bike Capital USA | Winter Park & The Fraser Valley. Trail Map

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks for all the info I think I am going to try zoom and upper elk creek for the tec stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Shoot me a PM before you come up. I will take you for a ride that isn't on any of the maps. Outside Tabernash is where some of the best riding is. I can take you on a great loop from Beavers Condos. As far as storing your bike you could just lock your bike to a post under a deck at Beavers. I don't think anyone up there will really care. We have lots of riding but some of it is just old logging roads converted to trails. You have to explore a little to find true singletrack up here.
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

ride
    Talk to the fine folks at Totally Wired Cyclery in Fraser. They'll point you in so many directions it'll hurt. There is a ton of great backcountry riding in the Fraser Valley.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO